Preview Changes: R8 vs Port Adelaide, 2024 - Curtin Call?

Will Curtin come in this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Still too many spuds in the side.
Himmelberg, Sholl, McHenry, Smith all gotta go and no ******* Murphy again.

Himmelberg is just keeping Thilthorpe's spot warm. Yeah, he's not very good, but he's better than Gollant or Burgess.

Smith is at the end of the line, but his replacements haven't quite come on yet. Ryan can hopefully take his spot in the future.

Sholl shouldn't be there. Give Dowling a chance, shuffle the deck chairs if you need. Or just let Curtin loose in that role.

McHenry, I fully agree. Offers practically nothing right now. Berry would be better with his eyes closed. Hell, I'd take Pedlar with one shoulder.

Murphy shouldn't get near the side again.

I have to laugh at Butts once again replacing Borlase. Just going to keep swapping them in and out, huh? I know Butts is a bit better than Borlase, but the dude breaks down in every match he plays these days. For the sake of consistency, we may as well just leave Borlase in the side. At least he can get through a quarter without having to come off hurt.

My additional change would have been Taylor for McHenry, perhaps next week?

I don't see Nicks in a hurry to blood anymore youth. Curtin was like pulling teeth so can't see him bring in Taylor or Dowling anytime soon. Gollant, Murphy, Berry and Schoenberg I think will be the ones the selection committee eye first.

Maybe the second half of the year when list planning for 2025 really kicks into gear, we will see all those guys and more. At this stage though, I doubt we will see anything major.

Himmelberg is just keeping Thilthorpe's spot warm. Yeah, he's not very good, but he's better than Gollant or Burgess.

Smith is at the end of the line, but his replacements haven't quite come on yet. Ryan can hopefully take his spot in the future.

Sholl shouldn't be there. Give Dowling a chance, shuffle the deck chairs if you need. Or just let Curtin loose in that role.

McHenry, I fully agree. Offers practically nothing right now. Berry would be better with his eyes closed. Hell, I'd take Pedlar with one shoulder.

Murphy shouldn't get near the side again.

I have to laugh at Butts once again replacing Borlase. Just going to keep swapping them in and out, huh? I know Butts is a bit better than Borlase, but the dude breaks down in every match he plays these days. For the sake of consistency, we may as well just leave Borlase in the side. At least he can get through a quarter without having to come off hurt.

Well they've worked out a tall player like Himmelberg will help release Fog by stretching the height of the defence. Himmelberg should have been an immediate in when Tilthorpe went down and Gollant wasn't working IMO. But if Himmelberg plays well and really starts showing something, it could be a good experiment to play them both. Time will tell though.

Burgess was never the right fit. Not at 28.

I've tipped us but I know what we can do

If spp and allir are in I tip Port - I just think we have a slight edge
If we can go close to breaking even in the middle and play fast attacking football we can win.

Dawson back in form is big.

Their outs are a concern for them, I don’t expect Rozee to play.

Plus the Sloane factor

I reckon we will win
Look I hope we win , but I’ve got a feeling we’re going to suck .
Rory retiring , Curtin first game , there are a lot of positives.

On the other hand , SPP and Allir out , Rozee under an injury cloud , away game , pear would be feeling like under dogs .

Heart says crows , head says pear by 16, and we’re going to get a kern cheerleader smirk at the end

Look I hope we win , but I’ve got a feeling we’re going to suck .
Rory retiring , Curtin first game , there are a lot of positives.

On the other hand , SPP and Allir out , Rozee under an injury cloud , away game , pear would be feeling like under dogs .

Heart says crows , head says pear by 16, and we’re going to get a kern cheerleader smirk at the end
Could pan out that way, but we did beat them twice last year and thumped them last time we played. We were playing better then but I also think they were, they haven’t been that impressive this year.

Could pan out that way, but we did beat them twice last year and thumped them last time we played. We were playing better then but I also think they were, they haven’t been that impressive this year.
I expect to win which worries me. They aren't that good, choke in big games. This is the one game we get up for.

Port by 21.

I thought they were all over Melbourne, but couldn’t put the score on the board.
I wasn’t impressed with their game against the saints.

Genuine 50/50 in my books

I don't see Nicks in a hurry to blood anymore youth. Curtin was like pulling teeth so can't see him bring in Taylor or Dowling anytime soon. Gollant, Murphy, Berry and Schoenberg I think will be the ones the selection committee eye first.

Maybe the second half of the year when list planning for 2025 really kicks into gear, we will see all those guys and more. At this stage though, I doubt we will see anything major.

YUCK

Hamill, Pedlar, McHenry out

Smith and Curtin in (McHenry sub)

Nank shifts further up the ground, move the magnets (we have a tonne of hybrid mid/fwds). Nank really didn't look as useful for us playing off the HB, way more impact on the wing

Edit: Borlase out and Butts in if they opt for experience.
images - 2024-05-02T012549.356.jpeg

Yeah it did. There was reasoning behind my post which I won’t go into on here but some know via a PM.

Huh? There is hidden reasoning that you can't share on here, but told some others in a PM?

Sounds to me like you either made up a source - or your source completely screwed ya over.

You said that Wright was lying just so we could justify bringing in Murphy. 100% wrong.
You said that Curtin was no chance of coming in. 100% wrong.

Its okay to say you got it wrong mate.

All I’m going to say it’s going to be very interesting to see where he plays.

Care to elaborate on this or is this only reserved for the special PM crew?

In 2022 - as a junior he was an intercept defender. Then he played as a forward to start 2023 and then moved back again and played all over the ground. He has also been touted as a midfielder. You are the big SANFL fanatic and watched him play in the SANFL this week where it appears he played bloody everywhere.

Of course its going to be interesting to see where he plays. I wouldn't be surprised if he is a full back, full forward, wing, midfield, half back, half forward. Considering we used 193cm Gollant as a chop out ruck this year, I wouldn't even be surprised to see him do that to be honest.

It seems we have our KPP stocks filled with Murray/Keane/Worrell and Walker/FOG/Himmelberg.

So where are you suggesting he plays? Maybe your "sauce" can go 1 for 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matt Wright in the paper today on Curtin
“He is still learning his craft and whether he gets an opportunity (AFL selection) in the coming weeks or later in the year we will wait and see”

Don’t get your hopes up

He really said that after saying Murphy played really well?

The decision was made last week.

Murphy in after one game (no matter how bad), Curtin may get a chance once finals are no longer mathmatically possible.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Really?… good fxckn god…

Matty wright needs to line up at the wall in front of the firing squad next to roo, kelly, vb and nicksy if thats really what he said..

This club is fxxkn pathetic.

I am now actually hoping like hell Curtin and his manager demand a trade to west coast at years end.. it is yet another necessary nail in the coffin these ********s need to be buried in.

Wright might be worse than Godden, I didn’t think that was possible

Clearly the directive is to talk down the performances of the SANFL players to deflect from the coaches copping selection scrutiny

Matty Wright - the master troller. His ability to get you all frothing at the mouth after a generic non committal sound bite is better than anything he produced on the football field.

Im excited to watch this game now. First one for the year I've looked forward to. Looking forward to see how Curtin goes.

IS he going to end up on Marshall though? Isn't he a running player or are we trying to turn him into a dour Talia type defender?
Surely Butts, Keane and Worell can take Dixon, Marshall and Georgiades. Leaving Curtin free to do his thing.

Huh? There is hidden reasoning that you can't share on here, but told some others in a PM?

Sounds to me like you either made up a source - or your source completely screwed ya over.

You said that Wright was lying just so we could justify bringing in Murphy. 100% wrong.
You said that Curtin was no chance of coming in. 100% wrong.

Its okay to say you got it wrong mate.

Care to elaborate on this or is this only reserved for the special PM crew?

In 2022 - as a junior he was an intercept defender. Then he played as a forward to start 2023 and then moved back again and played all over the ground. He has also been touted as a midfielder. You are the big SANFL fanatic and watched him play in the SANFL this week where it appears he played bloody everywhere.

Of course its going to be interesting to see where he plays. I wouldn't be surprised if he is a full back, full forward, wing, midfield, half back, half forward. Considering we used 193cm Gollant as a chop out ruck this year, I wouldn't even be surprised to see him do that to be honest.

It seems we have our KPP stocks filled with Murray/Keane/Worrell and Walker/FOG/Himmelberg.

So where are you suggesting he plays? Maybe your "sauce" can go 1 for 3.
No I don’t care to elaborate so sorry you wasted so many words, too many w***ers on here that I have no interest in appeasing. And it’s for this very type of response why I didn’t post it on here. There is also some stuff that’s not appropriate to share in the public domain out of respect so goading me ain’t going to work for you.

As for Wright, interesting that he went to the lengths he did to talk up Murphy when clearly his game wasn’t good enough to be brought back in.

Playing Lachy Murphy at half back is dumber than anything Nicks has done in his 4+ years.

Murphy is competitive around the ball and is a natural defender. And you’re wrong, again, playing Smith there to the conclusion of his career whilst injured and out of form is dumber. Murphy still has another year on his contract, maybe he’ll become AFL 22 quality playing behind the ball. Smith won’t.

I have watched all of Curtin’s games this year and imho his best position at this stage of his career is to be the third tall in defence. Butts and Keane will take Marshall and Dixon and then Curtin will take the next tallest Pear forward.

This puts more pressure on Josh Worrell, who has been playing superbly as the third tall defender but it will allow Daniel to use his strengths as an intercept marker and we can use him as the player to rebound the ball out of defence. In the Twos we have been trying to get the ball in his hands because he has a very damaging kick out of the D50/into the F50.

In the long term a move into the midfield would be the best result for us but even the amazing Nick Daicos played his first season as a defender. At this stage Curtin has only played a handful of games in the midfield and I am not aware that he has ever played on the wing. He could be switched forward if there is a chance for him to stretch the Pear defence but I doubt it.

I think Daniel slipped to pick 8 in the draft because no one (apart from the Eagles) were certain how they would use him. I think he was a total gift at Pick 8 but we shouldn’t expect too much from him in his first season. He is still pretty raw and is less AFL ready than some of the top midfielders picked up in the draft.

No I don’t care to elaborate so sorry you wasted so many words, too many w***ers on here that I have no interest in appeasing.

Ha ha ha. What a brilliant response.

And it’s for this very type of response why I didn’t post it on here.

Well isn't that just silly. Why allude to a secret source at all?

There is also some stuff that’s not appropriate to share in the public domain out of respect so goading me ain’t going to work for you.

I ain't goading you.

It was you that declared that Murphy was 100% in and that Matty Wright was lying to the press so the club could justify his inclusion. And then that Curtin was 100% not playing. You got them wrong. Why allude to a secret source at all?

So you don't want to clarify where Curtin is going to play this weekend because its not appropriate to share in the public domain? But you are happy to declare that a player that has played all over the footy field over the past 24 months could lineup somewhere surprising. Ha ha ha ha.

As for Wright, interesting that he went to the lengths he did to talk up Murphy when clearly his game wasn’t good enough to be brought back in.

A coach talking up a player on his team. This is definitely interesting. Very interesting.

Murphy is competitive around the ball and is a natural defender. And you’re wrong, again, playing Smith there to the conclusion of his career whilst injured and out of form is dumber. Murphy still has another year on his contract, maybe he’ll become AFL 22 quality playing behind the ball. Smith won’t.
Is possible for both to be dumb

1714602991019.jpeg

I think Daniel slipped to pick 8 in the draft because no one (apart from the Eagles) were certain how they would use him. I think he was a total gift at Pick 8 but we shouldn’t expect too much from him in his first season. He is still pretty raw and is less AFL ready than some of the top midfielders picked up in the draft.
That's poor thinking on your part Clubs will work it out just as we will

He slipped to 8 because other clubs had other priorities and concerns

Back