Prediction Changes: Round 22 Vs West Coast + pre-match discussion (DERBY TIME)

Remove this Banner Ad

I've re-watched the first 2022 Derby. Various Eagles took every opportunity to dish out gratuitous thumps and bumps on our younger players.

And Tucker was actually having a good game till his on-field collision/collapse.
Good prep. Do you think Geelong's and Melbourne's senior players won't do similar in a final? We should aim to get past that stuff after 10 mins and win by 70.

Just my take on Kelly from personal experience: doubt anyone would envy his home life as father of 3 autistic kids, two of them quite severe I gather. Most of us would grab any family support going under the circs.
While it worked out well for us I suppose, it was definitely a little grubby of Geelong to grab him, I'd also argue it was even grubbier to not trade him after 1 year when they would have got plenty of compensation from WC.

I'm all for an open draft, but if there's a situation where a player should be able to stay his home state, it's that one. Rd 2 draft pick wages arent great

Just my take on Kelly from personal experience: doubt anyone would envy his home life as father of 3 autistic kids, two of them quite severe I gather. Most of us would grab any family support going under the circs.
Exactly, he did what's best for his family and people that boo him are dumb. He is also a good bloke IRL.

So, no Tabs for rest of H&A. Fyfe - maybe - for Rd 23.

No Fyfe or Darcy in the first 2022 Derby either but we had Tabs, who starred, and Lobb. Meek acquitted himself pretty well, If only he was also a goalkicker....what to do?

Play Treacy and tell him that if he plays well then he gets the preferential treatment when Taberner is fit to play again.

It makes it a lot harder to pick Taberner for a big final when the player he would be replacing is performing. Currently we pick him and hope he gets through the game and that's better than the next cab off the rank.

Get Treacy in, smother them with inside fifties. Give him bulk confidence. Kick six goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wasn't wrong for leaving

54525d7f262f6d5e0475b03fe65773d6.jpg

It would be good to see Treacy in this week but he's not exactly been killing it in the WAFL. I was also on the verge of melting when Longmuir brought Meek in for Tabs in the Brissy game...and that turned out alright.

Long story short, we should have the cattle to win this regardless of the changes (or lack thereof).

It would be good to see Treacy in this week but he's not exactly been killing it in the WAFL. I was also on the verge of melting when Longmuir brought Meek in for Tabs in the Brissy game...and that turned out alright.

Long story short, we should have the cattle to win this regardless of the changes (or lack thereof).
Treacy has missed 2 weeks. Illness and the bye. Can’t bring him in. If Sturt didn’t get the call up last week it will be Banfield. Switta has missed a bit of footy and Freo aren’t afraid of sending them back through the WAFL

The likelihood of Tabs getting a run of games is slim.
Lobb obviously has a problem ( maybe a rib, not sure his GF would be stupid enough to post truthfully about his injuries, given she has been around footy teams for all her life.).
I think the match committee needs to pick one replacement and stick to it.
Either Meek, Sturt or Treacy need a couple games before the finals.

While it worked out well for us I suppose, it was definitely a little grubby of Geelong to grab him, I'd also argue it was even grubbier to not trade him after 1 year when they would have got plenty of compensation from WC.

I'm all for an open draft, but if there's a situation where a player should be able to stay his home state, it's that one. Rd 2 draft pick wages arent great

I can’t disagree with this statement enough.
I’m all for empathy, but it’s not the tiddly winks league.
Geelong identified him as a player. Gave him opportunities.

How is it ‘grubby?’ no one was to know he would turn out the player he’s become. For all they knew they may have drafted him and he not come on as hoped or whatever and they invested in a player that didn’t make it. There’s are no ‘certainties’ in a draft especially mature age picks.

To then realise they struck gold and not release him after 1 year is also not grubby and it’s what players sign up for.

This whole ‘family first’ stuff seems to only work when needed. If he was considering family first then he shouldn’t have nominated for the draft. If his children came shortly after the draft then you can always quit if needing to be with family.

Don’t forget, he didn’t want a bar of Freo so again the ‘coming home’ issue was a half truth.

Stuff him.

Surely it's got to be Meek? Been battling hard, can ruck for most of the game and give Darcy a stretch up front with Lobb.

You can't replace Taberner with Sturt or Banfield or any other small forward it's not the same. I'd say Treacy but he's missed a couple now and hasn't impacted in the games he has played.
Agree. Meek is fit, can run off NicNat given his injury and coming off 6 day break.
Darcy, Lobb with Logue is okay. Really need one of Sturt and Treacy to be ready in case

I can’t disagree with this statement enough.
I’m all for empathy, but it’s not the tiddly winks league.
Geelong identified him as a player. Gave him opportunities.

How is it ‘grubby?’ no one was to know he would turn out the player he’s become. For all they knew they may have drafted him and he not come on as hoped or whatever and they invested in a player that didn’t make it. There’s are no ‘certainties’ in a draft especially mature age picks.

To then realise they struck gold and not release him after 1 year is also not grubby and it’s what players sign up for.

This whole ‘family first’ stuff seems to only work when needed. If he was considering family first then he shouldn’t have nominated for the draft. If his children came shortly after the draft then you can always quit if needing to be with family.

Don’t forget, he didn’t want a bar of Freo so again the ‘coming home’ issue was a half truth.

Stuff him.
Getting a déjà vu here but do you have kids? Raising 3 kidd with two being on the spectrum would be a nightmare and 2nd round rookie wages don’t mitigate that at all. It’s a very rare unique situation. Maybe the drafting him was fine but they kept him the 2nd year because they had an incredible talent on rookie wages, trading him back the first year would have been the fairest thing to do

I’m not convinced Meek is the right option, don’t see him and Darcy as a great combo.

Switta won’t be ready yet, I’d probably just go banners for Tabs. Meek in only if Lobb is too sore and needs the week off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back