Prediction Changes: Round 22 Vs West Coast + pre-match discussion (DERBY TIME)

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting a déjà vu here but do you have kids? Raising 3 kidd with two being on the spectrum would be a nightmare and 2nd round rookie wages don’t mitigate that at all. It’s a very rare unique situation. Maybe the drafting him was fine but they kept him the 2nd year because they had an incredible talent on rookie wages, trading him back the first year would have been the fairest thing to do
I have 2 kids. I teach a class with 6 diagnosed students. ‘Nightmare’ probably not the best word to use.

What was he living off before the AFL? Why did he enter the draft?

He spent 2 years not a lifetime at Geelong.

The ‘fairest’ thing to do is honour the contract which is known when you enter the draft. TWO years. It’s all hypotheticals, but what would he have done if he didn’t play a game in that first season and was a nobody?

He had a choice at the end of the first year. There was no gun to his head. He could’ve quit AFL and gone back to WA. IF family first was literally his number 1 priority the decision should’ve been simple, but NO, money becomes a factor and reasons alter.

All I’m saying is to call Geelong grubby for holding a player to his first 2 year contract is miles from fair or reasonable. They unearthed a gun and if Eagles wanted him they had picks beforehand to take him.

I get the family story, I truly do. But Geelong are in no way at fault on how it all went down.

I have 2 kids. I teach a class with 6 diagnosed students. ‘Nightmare’ probably not the best word to use.

What was he living off before the AFL? Why did he enter the draft?

He spent 2 years not a lifetime at Geelong.

The ‘fairest’ thing to do is honour the contract which is known when you enter the draft. TWO years. It’s all hypotheticals, but what would he have done if he didn’t play a game in that first season and was a nobody?

He had a choice at the end of the first year. There was no gun to his head. He could’ve quit AFL and gone back to WA. IF family first was literally his number 1 priority the decision should’ve been simple, but NO, money becomes a factor and reasons alter.

All I’m saying is to call Geelong grubby for holding a player to his first 2 year contract is miles from fair or reasonable. They unearthed a gun and if Eagles wanted him they had picks beforehand to take him.

I get the family story, I truly do. But Geelong are in no way at fault on how it all went down.
There's also the whole 'I'm desperate to go home to WA ... but not to those purples.' thing.

Should definitely be playing Treacy in these last few weeks against lesser opposition and getting game time into him before finals
I’m sure he’s been running laps
Just feel JL will just play this tame and bring in Banfield, who’s not a full forward but adequate height.

There's also the whole 'I'm desperate to go home to WA ... but not to those purples.' thing.

Yep. All ‘poor Timmy’ went out the window when he didn’t want anything to do with Freo.

And I have nothing against him, just Geelong did what was right for them.

The idea Geelong should do the ‘right’ thing… but only if Timmy gets to go to the Eagles, whilst in contract is a contradiction in terms.

Dunno how this is even an extensive conversation the Toasters sold the farm to land a player that's produced nothing.

Imagine what we would've given up? Would've been like Hogan, McCarthy and Bennell all over again.

We have an awesome crop of youngsters let's focus on that instead. Our drafting has been freakishly good since 2018 and we are reaping the rewards.

Yep. All ‘poor Timmy’ went out the window when he didn’t want anything to do with Freo.

And I have nothing against him, just Geelong did what was right for them.

The idea Geelong should do the ‘right’ thing… but only if Timmy gets to go to the Eagles, whilst in contract is a contradiction in terms.
Exactly. If Tim Kelly wanted to get home that bad for his kids, he would've had no issue joining us after his first season but the campaigner said no. I'm confident we would've offered the same money and also had the ability to get the trade done.

As far as I'm concerned, Tim Kelly can get absolutely f***ed.

Banfield will rightfully get Tabener's spot this week.
Switta will play WAFFL and return next week.
Fyfe hopefully gets up to speed fast against the Giants or he might just become the elephant in the room.

Last edited:
This derby feels hollow

Soulless

What will WC even play for

Smashing the scum is always worthwhile!

They will come out wanting to put physical pressure on. If we can stand up to that early we can pull away. Hopefully we then put the foot on the throat. As a club it is something we haven't seen enough of historically.

Smashing the scum is always worthwhile!

They will come out wanting to put physical pressure on. If we can stand up to that early we can pull away. Hopefully we then put the foot on the throat. As a club it is something we haven't seen enough of historically.
can't wait to see nelson play again, reckon he could be handy in our forward half

Eagles would love to throw a spanner into our run home to the finals.
Can u imagine the guffaws if they torpedoed our chance of making the top 4 and then watched us go out week 1?

I’m near certain they’d have loved to get up for JK too. Just because they really want to, doesn’t hide the fact they’re beyond shite.

Take out JK and TK and they’re just not getting up for this.

Queue all the ‘footy is a funny game… you never know… I have a bad feeling…’ soft supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Banfied will rightfully get Tabener's spot this week.
Switta will play WAFFL and return next week.
Fyfe hopefully gets up to speed fast against the Giants or he might just become the elephant in the room.

excited for switta, but I hope he‘s truly fit when he plays for his sake and for longevity’s sake.

I will be lynched for this comment but I don’t know how to feel about bringing Fyfe back in for finals.

On the one hand, his finals experience is invaluable particularly for this young group, and we know he’ll give a 100 percent. He also deserves to taste the fruit of a long and painful rebuild where he stuck fat despite having opportunities to go elsewhere. On the other hand, he’s missed so much game time snd has unfortunately not had a clear run at building form and fitness towards the back end of this season. He’s also had minimal opportunity to find his sweet spot in the new iteration of this team. I am worried he may end up being more of a liability than the cherry on top.

I’m not in the ”there’s no place for Fyfe“ camp - would love for him to find his best footy and find his best role in the team. If there was a full pre-season to find both, which he will hopefully have leading into next season, it will make us a better team. But I am worried that this year, going into this finals campaign, might not be the time to shoehorn him back in.

excited for switta, but I hope he‘s truly fit when he plays for his sake and for longevity’s sake.

I will be lynched for this comment but I don’t know how to feel about bringing Fyfe back in for finals.

On the one hand, his finals experience is invaluable particularly for this young group, and we know he’ll give a 100 percent. He also deserves to taste the fruit of a long and painful rebuild where he stuck fat despite having opportunities to go elsewhere. On the other hand, he’s missed so much game time snd has unfortunately not had a clear run at building form and fitness towards the back end of this season. He’s also had minimal opportunity to find his sweet spot in the new iteration of this team. I am worried he may end up being more of a liability than the cherry on top.

I’m not in the ”there’s no place for Fyfe“ camp - would love for him to find his best footy and find his best role in the team. If there was a full pre-season to find both, which he will hopefully have leading into next season, it will make us a better team. But I am worried that this year, going into this finals campaign, might not be the time to shoehorn him back in.

I agree with you re Switta. Gotta look after your back for the rest of your life. I do hope though he's back and at his best.

Both he and Fyfe add so much but if they aren't playing well then it will weaken Freo.

Its not best 22 on paper it's best 22 on game day. JL needs to choose wisely

Switta needs a run in the WAFL.

I'd prefer Treacy to come in for Tabs but suspect we'll go for Meek for the greater ruck support. You can't make any other changes from last week. It was an even team effort.

Next week will be very difficult trying to squeeze in Switta and Fyfe. The competition for spots will be a MASSIVE motivator for the team. You don't want to lose your spot before finals.

West Coast showed us no mercy between 2016-2020 when they were in Finals and we were struggling.

I expect the same to be returned we have about 8-9 derbies to win a row to square the ledger.
Well the eagles won't even give a stuff.

Funny thing was i didn't care when we lost to them from 2016-2020. We all knew Freo were struggling.

To me that 11 game fluke derby streak was a fluke between 2015-2021.

Should of beaten them at least twice in that period.

You look back to that Freo derby win in early 2015 only 4 guys made it to our next derby win at the end of 2021 : Nathan Fyfe, Michael Walters, Matt Taberner and David Mundy .

Fyfe and Walters didn't play in our 2021 derby win. Both were injured. I was happy Freo had 21 new players getting their 1st win vs the eagles on dockers colours.

I hope we don't go through another losing streak of that again.

Losing to the eagles for 10 derbies in a row was bad. It was also worse that the streak should of been broken at least twice as I previously said.

Play Treacy and tell him that if he plays well then he gets the preferential treatment when Taberner is fit to play again.

It makes it a lot harder to pick Taberner for a big final when the player he would be replacing is performing. Currently we pick him and hope he gets through the game and that's better than the next cab off the rank.

Get Treacy in, smother them with inside fifties. Give him bulk confidence. Kick six goals.

God yes

If Sturt can't get a game with Fyfe and Taberner out, Lobb sore, Treacy coming back from illness and Amiss on the inactive list then he'll never get a game and be de-listed at seasons end.

Give Sturt a go, even if he's dropped for Fyfe next week I want to see what he has to offer.

Fyfe can play peel in the by round before finals - for touch and fitness

Plays GWS, Peel and hopefully enough to be of value for the finals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If switkowski is fit enough to play should just bring him straight in. Get all the rust out against west coast and giants. Preparing for finals in the waft is not the way to bring the guy up to the speed of things and switkowski runs rings around Henry in terms of what he provides

Fyfe can play peel in the by round before finals - for touch and fitness

Plays GWS, Peel and hopefully enough to be of value for the finals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Barring injury or a terrible performance I can't see much movement between Peel and Freo in the last couple of rounds.

If nothing else then only for COVID and illness protection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back