Changes Round 8 v Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Generally, you can’t lose more than six games in a season if you want to finish too four.
With a tough fixture after the bye we absolutely need to have only lost three games at the bye, and have three games we can afford to drop afterwards, to finish 3rd or 4th. If we didnt utensil up the Port game we could have had one loss to spare from now until the bye, but we dont.

Waterman to 3rd tall forward. Ollen to be played as a utility so where ever he is needed. Probably defence/ruck. Nothing much changes in the mobility/speed department as Masten isn't fast or particularly agile

All seriousness about Masten-bashing aside, I have some very grave reservations about the side that has been selected.

On a quick ground against one of the better running sides in the competition so far this season, I am deeply concerned that this team will be thoroughly outdone in the latter part of this game. St Kilda had 20 more inside 50s than GWS in Canberra last week, they just butchered the ball up forward - I don't expect they will do that again this week on their home deck.

This x100.

I had Waterman as an in. I thought Masten would come out. I’d never dream they’d be a straight swap.

Saints are frenetic at ground level. If we have to sit and watch a second half vs Brisbane-esque effort, where it looks like we’ve got blokes that are trying to run in quicksand, I’m going to be so disappointed in selection.

All seriousness about Masten-bashing aside, I have some very grave reservations about the side that has been selected.
  • A team clearly too tall up forward has dropped a small for yet another tall forward.
  • A team full of players woefully incapable of running out four quarters has dropped its best runner for yet another player returning from injury who will likely struggle to cover ground late in the game.

I can't even work out what is really being attempted by this selection:
  • if we are going like the second quarter against Gold Coast and pushing O.Allen and Venables back for periods, why not just select Rotham?
  • if O.Allen or Waterman are to push up the wings as fly forwards, why not Ah Chee, M.Allen or Brander who are better suited to such a role?

All I can surmise is that O.Allen will be played in defence when not pinch-hitting the ruck and Duggan is getting a shot in the aerobic sweeper role with Venables, Waterman, Cripps, Petruccelle and Ryan taking turns to push very deep and act as a false eighth defender, providing a counterattacking outlet.

On a quick ground against one of the better running sides in the competition so far this season, I am deeply concerned that this team will be thoroughly outdone in the latter part of this game. St Kilda had 20 more inside 50s than GWS in Canberra last week, they just butchered the ball up forward - I don't expect they will do that again this week on their home deck.

I expect we will lose the final quarter by five goals. Whether we can build a lead large enough prior to that remains to be seen.

I get your point to an extent but I think of it more like this.

5 changes from the GF team and a team that was also an excellent second half team last year.

Masten > Gaff. Gaff returns to a more outside sweeper role while still finding more of the ball than masto was. Sheed and reddo mantain their roles from last season that saw them as our best finals players.

Rioli > Petch. Petch very similar in terms of size and agility

Allen > Lycett. Allen now pinch hitting ruck and resting forward as opposed to vardy, vardy bumped up to primary ruck. Arguably makes our team slightly more agile

Sheppard > Barrass. Schoey now FB and shep plays third tall. Again makes our team more agile

Waterman > Lecras. Waterman an underrated runner but probably slightly less quick and agile than lecca.

Ideally wiz comes back for waterman next week to make us a bit smaller/quicker. But i think overall this current team has got more run and agility than last year’s GF team, and at worst breaks even

The team changes have been fuxking baffling.

Vardy will get.towelled up, i would have thought brooksby and alle would have gotten in.

Oscar looks like he needs a rest.

$50 on the saints looks like a safe bet, much like the $50 i put on port a few weeks back.

St Kilda had 20 more inside 50s than GWS in Canberra last week, they just butchered the ball up forward - I don't expect they will do that again this week on their home deck.
It's not like they haven't butchered the ball up forward at their home ground this year - last time they played at Marvel vs Crows, they were terrible going forward.

If you look at Richardson's run at the Saints, butchering the ball going forward is the only thing they've done consistently.

Add to that they've got one of the weakest forwardlines in the league, and we've got the best interceptors.

A lot to be confident about in our camp

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bookmark this or screen shot it.

This selection by the MC IS WRONG.

Eagles will lose.

Placing $100 on saints

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

391dd723db6854d805b5ccb8ab695c25.jpg

I don’t love the selection either mate but you’ve got to lighten up, football clearly makes you miserable.

Who’s unfit in the midfield?
Entire group, they're getting smashed in the midfield. They're playing a half of competitive football at the moment. I don't blame them, shorter preseason and many missing large chunks via surgeries.
They're well down on their two way running and contested footy

That's just what we needed - more height in the forward line :rolleyes:
I'm no Masten fan but what are we hoping to achieve with that swap, as opposed to bringing in Ah Chee for Masten or taking out Allen for Waterman?
Our changes each week feel like aimless trial and error trying to fix whatever is wrong with the team.

St Kilda came close to beating us at home last year. They did so through centre clearance and contested ball dominance, and direct movement; lowering the eyes and bypassing our intercept markers. We struggled to find defensive outlets to create our own opportunities and were comprehensively outplayed for a large portion of the second half. Does that sound familiar in 2019?

One of the chief instigators of that comeback was the big old Hickster, who won't be out there for us either. IIRC Steven also had a huge 4th quarter; I desperately hope can get back to playing footy, but it's one less beast for us to deal with this week.

With this in mind, I'm not surprised to see Masten dropped for Waterman. Against contested sides looking to limit our transition, its imperative to have marking options down the wing when our switches aren't opening up options. Waterman can also provide a goal-scoring option, and is more mobile than any of our tall forwards. Giving an aerial contest may bring our speedier players into the game. I suspect he will combine with Petch and Cripps for some nice plays. He may also free up our other key forwards to stay in the attacking half, such that when we do escape the opposition's repeat entries there are actually options to kick to.

Last edited:
I don't mind it at all.

I still think were one too tall, but i suppose ollen ability to pinch hit has given him a lifeline. Vardy is not a full time ruck. Think rioli and hickey for vardy and ollen in a few weeks could get the structure spot on.

I think both sheed and gaff to a lesser extent will benefit from Masten out. His omission was long over due.

People might categorise Waterman as 'big' due to his height, but role-wise he is also a runner.
Is 2cm height difference (compared to Ah Chee) such a liability in an indoor stadium?

IMO Jake is the one player on the whole list whose WAFL form has been consistent enough to justify pushing into the seniors. My only concern with him is his leg, but if he has been cleared health-wise then he deserves his spot.
I find Ah Chee frustrating. His ability is clear to see but his consistency is shocking. It's not a great reflection of our depth that one decent WAFL game is now enough to get an Eagles spot.

Did lol at Waterman being the in for Masten. Poor HT.

I like Waterman in, because he deserved a go (pre-injury) in place of Allen as a high half forward, I figured he'd allow JD and JK to play much better by creating space as he leads up the wings.

Surely this change means Allen stays out of the f50? He must be a second ruck, maybe swinging back in defence or roaming the middle of the ground for contested marks.

Also, height is one thing but none of these players are very agile. Cripps, Ryan and Venables need to help out big time if we're to lock the ball up inside f50. Hopefully we can play with the same intent as the Saints play with because they're not the most talented but they've been massively impressive with their ability to run from behind this year, pushing the ball forward relentlessly.

This will be a difficult game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back