Preview Changes v Carlton [Good Friday Superclash]

Remove this Banner Ad

I know everyone is on the remove CCJ, I am too. But im on the fence whether Greenwood would actually benefit the team any more than CCJ. Its a potato for a potato
Greenwood isn’t a potato. He offers alot defensively for starters.

'He's a spud.' What a compelling response to the proclamation that 'he isn't a potato'
He isn’t playing because he’s not good enough. He had 11 disposals in his last game, he turned the ball over on half those disposals, he lays a couple of tackles and offers little else, he’s as slow as CCJ, his hands are worse, he isn’t as good a ruckman (thats saying something). All he offers is defensive pressure if the offensive players are slower than he is. Thats compelling. No point moving the list sideways, replacing this guy with that guy for zero benefit

He isn’t playing because he’s not good enough. He had 11 disposals in his last game, he turned the ball over on half those disposals, he lays a couple of tackles and offers little else, he’s as slow as CCJ, his hands are worse, he isn’t as good a ruckman (thats saying something). All he offers is defensive pressure if the offensive players are slower than he is. Thats compelling. No point moving the list sideways, replacing this guy with that guy for zero benefit
I'd add to this that he's the best player in the league at getting off a disposal whilst being tackled and is pretty fast to hunt down a man in close. Can take a contested mark and can provide some physicality in the ruck, just like Owens at the Saints can. Also doesn't go to s**t when he has to do something at ground level. I don't think it really matters if he turned over 6 of 11 possies in his last game. Because that's an average CCJ performance. So we're not losing anything by bringing Greenwood in. Anything he does on top of that is a bonus, and I believe he'll do plenty.

Moving the list sideways is a fallacy, because we need skilled senior players. The baton handing should be so gradual that you barely even notice it, the way Sydney and Geelong have done it. Allowing players to retire when they want to and keeping them in the team until it's clear that they don't offer enough. As opposed to a brutal cull, scrambling to find any old campaigner to fill the holes left by the cull, and ******* up a young team's confidence and balance in the process

He absolutely is a better ruckman. CCJ has absolutely no impact on the contest and can't even time his leap. Greenwood ties to halve the contest which is better than losing it all the time.

Defensive pressure in midfield is what we have been lacking. We also play better when he is in the team.

Comben or Sellers coming in for CCJ and Greenwood coming in for Lazarro makes sense to me. Although I'm not sure Lazarro deserves to be dropped but Greenwood offers something he doesn't.

Don't worry about CCJ and Greenwood

Xerri needs a rest, Comben goes in.
Mckay gets hold of us, Comben gets a go.
Dawson gets to intercept and be 3rd man up if Comben plays back
Larkey getting double teamed, move Comben forward.
Zurhaar gets a mismatch if Comben goes forward or gets the 3rd best defender.

It's such an easy decision.

He absolutely is a better ruckman. CCJ has absolutely no impact on the contest and can't even time his leap. Greenwood ties to halve the contest which is better than losing it all the time.

Defensive pressure in midfield is what we have been lacking. We also play better when he is in the team.

Comben or Sellers coming in for CCJ and Greenwood coming in for Lazarro makes sense to me. Although I'm not sure Lazarro deserves to be dropped but Greenwood offers something he doesn't.
If Greenwood is so good, why isn’t he playing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon CCJ stays in.
Don’t think you can have Curnow, McKay, Pittonet and De Koning without any similar presence putting body work.
The issue with this, is he doesn’t have any presence.

He’s a two metre tall hat rack.

You’re probably right. But last week at least he did something Larkey didn’t. And that was take an overhead mark.

Naturally, I’m all in for throw in the tall recruit Dawson into the baptism of fire like the rest of his cohort.

It would be great if CCJ could play a Hansen type role

In CCJ's defence, I reckon he's actually put together two very passable opening halves of first quarters. It's only once we cross over the 10 minute mark of the matches that things get less acceptable.

In CCJ's defence, I reckon he's actually put together two very passable opening halves of first quarters. It's only once we cross over the 10 minute mark of the matches that things get less acceptable.
Yeah his first quarter was quite good

If Greenwood is so good, why isn’t he playing?

He is a known quantity and we are not looking to scrounge wins with players who are highly unlikely to be on the list in the short term future.

Now this does not mean that all the players that are being run will be on this list through the short term future.

What it means is that Greenwood would likely make us look better in the very short term by putting a senior body on the park.

Why not him for CCJ? because if by some miracle CCJ starts having presence and clunking marks he creates a thing we are currently crying out for. If you bring in Greenwood and he does the same we merely get another stop gap measure.

Clarko is playing a longer game then winning this week.

it is an answer very few want to hear but it is what is happening.

He is a known quantity and we are not looking to scrounge wins with players who are highly unlikely to be on the list in the short term future.

Now this does not mean that all the players that are being run will be on this list through the short term future.

What it means is that Greenwood would likely make us look better in the very short term by putting a senior body on the park.

Why not him for CCJ? because if by some miracle CCJ starts having presence and clunking marks he creates a thing we are currently crying out for. If you bring in Greenwood and he does the same we merely get another stop gap measure.

So winning in your opinion isn’t important? CCJ has 2 years to run? He could be in the scoobs working on his craft. Have a spell.

Greenwood is s**t, the only reason he was given a deal is because he is mates with Nobles. Nobles brought him over. On the outer with Adelaide, then GC and now he’s with us. Look he’s done a couple of good things on a footy field, but is let down by his poor disposal, poor marking (people say he is a good contested mark, he isnt) and speed.

Greenwood is shitmen journeyman

dude we've given him 2 years and he has played one good game. He has 9 goals in 21 ******* games. 13 marks inside 50 in 21 games. that's not contested marks, that is his total. he averages one contested mark per game for us.

he has also started this season poorly. and he can't ******* ruck.

how much evidence do you need?

we can't keep picking guys who have been consistently hopeless. it doesn't send the right message and it's not fair on the fans who pay their membership money and while not expecting to agree with everything the club does, trust the club to make the obvious competent decisions.

we're also 1-20 with CCJ in the team. so he's hardly making us a better side or providing 'structure'. all the arguments people used to make for his continued exclusion despite his underperformance have all been disproven.

honestly with the 'longer game' stuff. CCJ is nearly 25 not 18. he is not good enough and never will be. being s**t vs good is not like flicking a light switch.

Last edited:
So winning in your opinion isn’t important?
You and I both know this is not accurate, take a breath.

CCJ has 2 years to run? He could be in the scoobs working on his craft. Have a spell.
But he isn't.

HE's been named, twice, once after being subbed out. Which i assumed would be a precursor to him being shipped off to the twos but is wasnt.

Greenwood is shitmen journeyman

Journeyman sure. Shitmen is a completely flawed term that people on here have used to describe players they don't like. Bailey Scott was described as it for ages.

Still if we brought him in he would likely provide a mature body around the contest capable of tackling may scrounge us a win, but is that the win we are looking for?

how much evidence do you need?
I don't need any evidence.

I would replace him with Sellers this week.

whether that happens or not we will see.

There is the potential that Clarko is giving players blocks of games to see whether there is anything there at all or not. Right now it is looking like not.

As of right now the biggest hole in the list is CHF IMO. I have posted this previously.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back