Preview Changes vs Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Sandy out due to concussion..
Surely get ROB on the bird over and let sauce have a week off.
If we can't beat freo with no Sandy or Fyfe its definitely tank time, just because players are "coming back" doesn't mean they are 100% fit the Haas and Burton dreamteam have completely stuffed this season.

Sauce thrives on continuity and a heavy workload, missing a game would result in him becoming ineffective.

This is the perfect opportunity to play ROB and give Jacobs a rest (no flying either); but we know they’ll view it as an opportunity for Jacobs to regain his form...

Which translates into beating up on some second stringer, pretending it means something, and then watching him get torched by the next half decent ruck he’s up against.

That's our MO with all experienced players. Our coaches see the expected thrashing as an opportunity for their preferred experienced player to gain form. We don't use these opportunities to make them accountable for continuing to fail when it matters. Those games are perfect opportunities to give a kid a go. It rolls beautifully together with striving for % and continuity. Brisbane last year was an exception with Dmac and Gooch, but they realised their folly pretty quicky.

He had no impact last time he played, and it's doubtful how much impact a half-fit Walker will have on Sunday.
Hard to say.
Walker kicked 2 goals in his last game. That's impact --- a forward who kicks 2/game is a lock to get selected week after week.
He was probably half-fit when he came back in for Round 2 --- 4 goals.
You're right, the risk/reward is a fine line for tomorrow. Personally, I'm happy he's playing and I hope it pays off.

Hard to say.
Walker kicked 2 goals in his last game. That's impact --- a forward who kicks 2/game is a lock to get selected week after week.
You're right, the risk/reward is a fine line for tomorrow. Personally, I'm happy he's playing and I hope it pays off.

Walker always tends to be good for a goal or two a game.

The big difference between when he's fit and when he's not is how many goals he creates.

Walker at his best creates more scoring opportunities than any other player in the competition, both by being an avenue to goal and by being a link up player who makes good decisions and has a laser accurate field kick.

Walker playing at 70% capacity still tends to get on the end of a few and kicks them, but his contribution other than those direct goals falls right off. He also tends to do stupid things when not fit like wheel around and kick into the man on the mark or be more focused on his opponent rather than just directly impacting the contest (and giving away frees because of it).

missing a game would result in him becoming ineffective.
o_O
Sadly, he's ineffective now:
--- rarely palms to our mids (although Third Term last week to Gibbs was a revelation/exception, reminded me of Rehn)
--- his around the ground "tall-mid" work has all but disappeared. His disposals are ineffective.
--- is taking fewer marks around the ground especially from oppo kick-outs
--- has kicked NO goals this year.
Sad, but true.

Hard to say.
I'm only happy if it pays off.

Now, how do we judge this ?? Does he have to kick goals, does the forwardline structure look better, or does it mean allowing Jenkins and/or Fog to get off the chain and get a few ??

Given the weather conditions it's not going to be a quick game, which probably plays into Taylor's hands a bit if he is underdone.

Walker at his best creates more scoring opportunities than any other player in the competition, both by being an avenue to goal and by being a link up player who makes good decisions and has a laser accurate field kick.
Walker playing at 70% capacity still tends to get on the end of a few and kicks them, but his contribution other than those direct goals falls right off.
Yeah, very good points.
They're playing him, although maybe only 60-65% TOG. I'll still take as many goals as he can kick tomorrow ;).

Hard to say.
I hope it pays off. I'm not so happy that he's playing - I'd much rather he was able to complete his mini pre-season, returning to the team when he's fully fit. I do, however, understand that we may not have that luxury right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You:
... don't recall but
40 HO to 31
13 disp to 6
??
That's pretty good recalling! ;)
business-commerce-pedantry-pedant-conference-meet-meeting-cgon304_low.jpg
GREAT cartoon (poached).
Reminded me of the Clairvoyants Convention that was cancelled due to ... unforeseen circumstances. :)

I’ve had it with this club. There’s no way Mackay should be playing this week. Disgrace!
I've had it with the selectors who keep picking him. Mystifying, but I'm not changing my allegiances.
Maybe his game vs Bulldogs in the downpour here affected their decision?

I've had it with the selectors who keep picking him. Mystifying, but I'm not changing my allegiances.
Maybe his game vs Bulldogs in the downpour here affected their decision?
He always plays a good game when he's on the cusp. Expect another one tomorrow.

If not, that might be it for a couple weeks.

I'm only happy if it pays off.

Now, how do we judge this ?? Does he have to kick goals, does the forwardline structure look better, or does it mean allowing Jenkins and/or Fog to get off the chain and get a few ??

Given the weather conditions it's not going to be a quick game, which probably plays into Taylor's hands a bit if he is underdone.

Walker is clearly the most important forward we have he is pretty much showing as one of those three players that the team simply cannot go without

Those type of players in any team get an instant call up when even half fit as richmond will do with dusty next game and Daniher will probably come straight in for the dons

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

o_O
Sadly, he's ineffective now:
--- rarely palms to our mids (although Third Term last week to Gibbs was a revelation/exception, reminded me of Rehn)
--- his around the ground "tall-mid" work has all but disappeared. His disposals are ineffective.
--- is taking fewer marks around the ground especially from oppo kick-outs
--- has kicked NO goals this year.
Sad, but true.
You missed the sarcasm of the post. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back