Opinion Chris Scott's coaching - Part 1 [closed, see Part II]

Will Chris Scott see out his contract until the end of 2017?

• Yes

Votes: 79 79.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 21.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. Much prefer the "leaning back in the chair while munching on the Subway" look??
Seriously think it is irrelevant.
Clarko punches holes in walls and breaks phones, but totally ok cos he wins flags?
If you're referring to Bomber eating the salad sandwich against the Eagles, we did win that game by 135 points if my memory serves me correctly. Of course Bomber was going to be laid back, but I assume you inferred such behavior as disrespectful and a display complete and utter arrogance?

Clarko is a knob with an anger problem and him punching holes in walls and breaking phones isn't acceptable. I'd actually rather a Chris Scott sulk than a Clarkson tantrum if we're talking about acceptable behaviour, but we're not because that would be "irrelevant".

My only point was that in my opinion, Chris Scott looks like he sits there and has no idea about how to arrest the situation. It's my observation and a concerning one at that. If Clarko is sitting in the box flipping out, I dare say that it isn't because he's run out of ideas, but rather that the team isn't effectively implementing his ideas.

If you're referring to Bomber eating the salad sandwich against the Eagles, we did win that game by 135 points if my memory serves me correctly. Of course Bomber was going to be laid back, but I assume you inferred such behavior as complete and utter arrogance?

Clarko is a knob with an anger problem and him punching holes in walls and breaking phones isn't acceptable. I'd actually rather a Chris Scott sulk than a Clarkson tantrum if we're talking about acceptable behaviour, but we're not because that would be "irrelevant".

My only point was that in my opinion, Chris Scott looks like he sits there and has no idea about how to arrest the situation. It's my observation and a concerning one at that. If Clarko is sitting in the box flipping out, I dare say that it isn't because he's run out of ideas, but rather that the team isn't effectively implementing his ideas.
My point only is you seem to be underestimating CS's effectiveness based on your perception of glimpses, glimpses only, of his facial expression and demeanour. Very superficial.
As if you, or any of us have sat with him in the box and on the ground for 120 minutes. As if any of us have a clue how cluey he is.

If you're referring to Bomber eating the salad sandwich against the Eagles, we did win that game by 135 points if my memory serves me correctly. Of course Bomber was going to be laid back, but I assume you inferred such behavior as disrespectful and a display complete and utter arrogance?

Thompson has always been more than a little annoyed at the inference that just because he was eating doesn't mean he wasn't doing his job. Unfortunately too many people look far too simply at things and jump to ridiculous generalisations.

Thompson has always been more than a little annoyed at the inference that just because he was eating doesn't mean he wasn't doing his job. Unfortunately too many people look far too simply at things and jump to ridiculous generalisations.
I agree. But you'll find in a lot of work places, people who have everything under control can often look like they're the ones who are actually the slackers. They float around calmly and, heaven forbid even eat food at times deemed inappropriate by some individuals who see it as counterproductive to efficient working. Or then there are those who believe that it's just plain arrogance.

I just don't think people need to run around like headless chooks to prove that they're doing their job. Quite the opposite is what I believe, in fact.

the man has gotta eat
Poor scheduling from the afl. right during dinner time;) :D...

We were flogging WCE by that much Bomber could have driven off somewhere to get his tucker and then come back. Wouldn't have mattered one bit!

And wasn't it widely known he was eating that before the game?
CH 7 recorded it and slotted it into the game.

What a load of tripe, Collingwood did just that, swapped a better credential person with Buckley. And it ain't rubbish about Clarkson and Scott, neither had AFL coaching records.

I know a lot is involved in winning a flag and things out of your control still have to fall your way for you to finally hold that cup. A premiership doesn’t fall in your lap but a champion team, one that’s well drilled and a bunch of good assistants plus a switched on board fell in his lap and that sure made his task a lot easier. Most coaches having that luck fall in their lap would only need to steer the club in the right direction (a club that could nearly steer itself) and he did which was great.

74% Win/Loss over more than 100 games looks impressive but realistic that record was achieved with the inherited players, that first year the record was 88% and steadily going down to right now only being 40%. Now we'll all see how good he really is, i won't mind getting proven wrong if he can get us to that 74% winning record.
I'm just so glad you have nothing to do with the running of the club cos we'd be permanent cellar dwellers and probably have a mountain of debt cos you have NFI.

The Collingwood experiment has more to do with Bucks being Eddies love child than anything else. Whether it pans out time will tell. At the moment it's just on the job training.

Nowwhere did I say Clarkson or Scott had AFL head coach experience. My reference to Clarkson was he had coaching credentials not only as an assistant but had coached successfully in his own right.

For every 'punt' that comes off there are multiples of failures. Bailey, Connelly, Watters, Watson, Bartlett, Primus, Frawley, Knights, Schwab, McKenna, Harvey, Shaw, Jones, Jesaulenko, Gellie, Ditterich, Tuddenham, Weideman are just a few who come to mind. Anyone who doesn't place considerable weight on record in any form of employment is dumb, dumb, dumb.

Your last paragragh just illustrates your silly argument is more to do with your dislike of Scott than anything sensible. Scott's record of outstanding win/loss ratio, never having missed finals and developing players like Blicavs, Guthrie, Duncan, Motlop, Christensen, Bews to name a few is laudable. And he's kept that winning record despite major injuries to important players. And you give him virtually no credit. Pathetic!

As I've said the only place this issue has raised its ugly head is by a few keyboard warriors here who wouldn't know their arses from their elbows. Thankfully none has anything to do with decision making and their/your biased negativity has no meaning other than showing you have NFI.

Until someone can back-up their prejudiced push for change with names of those who would be better than Scott they should pull their ignorant heads in.

Noticed on the replay that he yelled 'bas****rd when the pies player took out Selwood in the last 1/4. He certainly rides the bumps very obviously

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder how far Blicavs, clearly CS's most inspired choice, can go. He is fast becoming my favourite Cat.
Thurlow
Bews
Gregson
Stanley
We have a lot to enjoy now, and to look forward to.
Thurlow will make it tough for Mackie- maybe he plays HFF/Wing on return, or sub. Who knows? Great dilemma to have.

Last edited:
I wonder how far Blicavs, clearly CS's most inspired choice, can go. He is fast becoming my favourite Cat.
Thurlow
Bews
Gregson
Stanley
Thurlow will make it tough for Mackie- maybe he plays HFF/Wing on return, or sub. Who knows? Great dilemma to have.
He can take kersten's spot, because if he does nothing we still have the same output

Blighty used to suck down half a pack of darts in the box in his early coaching days at the Cattery. Eating a salad roll seems a hell of a lot better an option. Especially for the other blokes in the box ( except Graham Gellie who the coach used to relentlessly bot off apparently).

Absolutely. It seems that an awful lot of people have forgotten that it was only due to the club questioning themselves, asking how good they were internally, with complete honesty, that led to the dramatic turn around in 2007? Seems like many of the devoted followers of the People's Republic of Geelong on here have either forgotten that, or don't want to acknowledge it.

Chris Scott, and the club, do a LOT of things right. You don't finish top 4 or thereabouts every year by accident. You don't win a premiership in your first season by luck either (I'll debate anyone who argues otherwise, they're just too tough to win). But, like all coaches, he has flaws. His decisions and the effects of those could, and should, be questioned. We're not going to develop and progress as a club if things are ignored. Instead, the club will atrophy, develop a close-mindedness and aversion to new ideas (historically embraced by every footy club at some point of another), and become really good at excusing why we're finishing 7th every year. Just like previous Geelong administrations. It would be nice to avoid that.

And the title of the thread betrays the all too typical gross oversimplification of the issue. Very few on here 'hate' Chris Scott I would say. A small number do question some of his tactics and decisions (and I'm one of them). There is a rather large difference between the two.

For me, the issue is that we pretty clearly don't have a shit list, even with the absence of several of our 30+ prime movers, whom we are apparently stuffed without. And even with some contentious list management decisions. As far as I'm concerned, the talent is obviously there (like it was in the mid 00s for us), but where we've been found wanting when we've struggled in 2015 is in the brains and the toughness departments. And, it's just my opinion, but I think when we don't meet our preseason expectations, it's complete rubbish to say that (essentially) it's the supporters fault for expecting too much from Duncan, Motlop, Guthrie, GHS, Caddy, Smedts and that they're just not as good as we think they are. All have shown (to varying degrees) that they are good enough and most - if not all - of them have been on the list long enough that they should be known commodities by now. If you thought they were good enough in January, then you're just making excuses for them if all of a sudden they're not good enough in May and they haven't had any injury issues. They've been around long enough and I only hope that they demand more of themselves than our supporters as a collective do of them.

I'm not sure Duncan could have proved more emphatically over the past fortnight just how special he can be. He's a true match winner and if he can close the gap between his best and his worst, he'll be an AA candidate, year after year. I love the way he plays and that's why it's so frustrating when he has those games where he's just not there.

It's not just Geelong that struggles in the area of consistent production, of course. We were spoilt (as a league) really in the late 00s and early 10s, in terms of how many teams you could trust on a weekly basis. Even teams that didn't quite get there, like St Kilda and the Bulldogs, they were teams that you could trust to rarely - if ever - beat themselves over that period. If you wanted to beat those teams, you'd have to go out there and take it off them. Those late 00s Saints and Dogs teams would have slaughtered a current team like North Melbourne, that almost seems to be a darkhorse top four contender by default. The current North team is very moderate in terms of talent, but then you look around the league and say 'well, who's better than them?' And there's just not many that definitively are. The middle is ridiculously cluttered in the league at the moment and there's really nothing between being borderline top four and borderline bottom four at the moment. There's a few utterly shit teams, a few 'trustworthy' teams and everyone else.

And that's why supporters could be seen to be harsh on Chris Scott, Steve Johnson, Mitch Duncan, our medical staff...whoever. Because in the current climate, we're really just a couple of tweaks of being well-entrenched in the top eight, yet again. And I think next week is going to tell us a lot about this team.

My point only is you seem to be underestimating CS's effectiveness based on your perception of glimpses, glimpses only, of his facial expression and demeanour. Very superficial.
As if you, or any of us have sat with him in the box and on the ground for 120 minutes. As if any of us have a clue how cluey he is.

Top freakin post mate. :thumbsu:

It's laughable that there's an expectation, no an assumption, that the 9 or so players in the 20-24 age bracket are different to the Abletts, Ling, Corey etc, at the same age. That it's a development or coaching problem.

Those past stars had the exact same downturns in form, the exact same questions asked.

It's laughable that there's an expectation, no an assumption, that the 9 or so players in the 20-24 age bracket are different to the Abletts, Ling, Corey etc, at the same age. That it's a development or coaching problem.

Those past stars had the exact same downturns in form, the exact same questions asked.

Those past stars all had a Carji on the mantle at age 23. Ablett became the best player in the league between age 22-23, after 'only' having a couple of top three finishes in the B&F the previous two years (similar to where Duncan was at, heading into 2015).

Those past stars all had a Carji on the mantle at age 23. Ablett became the best player in the league between age 22-23, after 'only' having a couple of top three finishes in the B&F the previous two years (similar to where Duncan was at, heading into 2015).

The fact they may have won B&Fs points more to how bad we were back then than any comparison to now, also Ablett was 25 at the earliest before he was considered the best in the game.
Also those guys had 80+ games next to their name at that point in time.
Not even comparable.

The fact they may have won B&Fs points more to how bad we were back then than any comparison to now, also Ablett was 25 at the earliest before he was considered the best in the game.
Also those guys had 80+ games next to their name at that point in time.
Not even comparable.

Ling won in 2004: we were top four
Corey won in 2005: we were about three seconds off a PF
Ablett won in 2007: we won the flag

Sorry, but it's highly likely that we were better in all of those years than we are now. Duncan's over 100 games. Caddy, Motlop and Guthrie should be over 80 by the end of the year. All have been permanent fixtures in the senior side for a fair while now. They should be starting to hit the peak of their careers, or getting very close to it.

And to say Ablett was 25 before he was considered the best in the game (when on his 25th birthday he was well on his way to his third consecutive MVP) is such a ridiculous comment, I'm not even sure how to respond to it.

Thurlow
Bews
Gregson
Stanley

Thurlow has been superb off a back flank since coming in. And off a limited pre-season too. He's a regular now and certainly won't go out for Mackie.

Kersten is the obvious one at the moment. Perhaps Mackie can go forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back