Opinion Chris Scott's coaching - PART III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy goes on and on about how much better a coach Chris Scott is than Thompson yet the facts are Thompson has 2 premierships and developed the team from scratch. Thompson also has a way better finals record that Scott. Scott won his only premiership in his first year using a team Thompson had developed. Since then our team which Scott himself has developed has gone backwards and without a lot of luck (Dangerfield coming from Geelong) we would be down s**t creek.
It’s gotta be Mrs Scott. How anyone can claim Scott is a better coach and use finals as his claim is beyond belief

Brian Cook was just on Krock and said an extension for Scott is well progressed and that he believes he is the man for the job even if we enter a transition stage

Why are we so hell bent on extending before even entering the final year of his contract.

Combination of obvious troll and someone desperate for attention.

I doubt they’re that interested in Scott; I imagine the real interest is provoking those with contrary views.

GC26 is every bit as responsible for the petty, puerile and hyper-personal quagmire of this thread as those 'negative' trolls that have had their accounts cancelled.

the fact he is 'positive' (except oddly, when it comes to thompson) should not matter.

i have no idea how belittling thompsons efforts, ability and achievements from a decade ago have any relevance to scotts coaching strengths and weaknesses in 2018.

Look at Collingwood and GWS's injury list over the season and position on the ladder and tell me what excuses we have... He is talking BS. Bartel is more accurate in his assessment of our team underachieving than Ling who is now a media lover.

Bartel is bitter because Scott made the tough call to move him on when he wasn’t too enough anymore, Bartel is not one to listen to as he is in the sooks.

Our bottom six is just average and not up to the standard. Our skills aren’t good enough as a whole.

Let’s just look at the picture for a moment, we have a very ordinary skilled side by hand and foot who constantly turn it over, yet we have the second best defense in the AFL.

How could we have such an amazing defensive structure with such a poor disposal side unless you have great structures in place?

The turnaround from the first few weeks structurally by Scott to hold down our defense was just outstanding.

100% coaching

Team wins premiership by 119 points - geelong_crazy26 not impressed.
giphy.gif

So why did collingwood almost beat us in the 07 prelim?? That is almost blowing it.

Both premiership years under Thompson in the finals we almost blew it. Under Scott in 2011 we won each final by 6 goals plus.

Reason I am saying this is it is proof with a direct comparison that given the right tools Scott is a brilliant finals coach and was a lot better than Thompson wit the very same team.

Brian Cook was just on Krock and said an extension for Scott is well progressed and that he believes he is the man for the job even if we enter a transition stage

Why are we so hell bent on extending before even entering the final year of his contract.
Simply because he is a high quality person and coach.
Cookie knows a good one and has seen a few over his tenures.

GC26 is every bit as responsible for the petty, puerile and hyper-personal quagmire of this thread as those 'negative' trolls that have had their accounts cancelled.

the fact he is 'positive' (except oddly, when it comes to thompson) should not matter.

i have no idea how belittling thompsons efforts, ability and achievements from a decade ago have any relevance to scotts coaching strengths and weaknesses in 2018.
Because comparisons with past and potential coaches always crop up on this thread.
References to Bomber would only be in reply to such comparisons by other posters I believe.
I agree with his defences of CS.
He has runs on the board, and is building a new team.
Some pampered supporters somehow can not cope with us not being the #1 team in the comp every year and behave as if they have more nous, insight and knowledge than the coach and MC who live, breathe and die by their work at Geelong.

Last edited:
So why did collingwood almost beat us in the 07 prelim?? That is almost blowing it.

Both premiership years under Thompson in the finals we almost blew it. Under Scott in 2011 we won each final by 6 goals plus.

Reason I am saying this is it is proof with a direct comparison that given the right tools Scott is a brilliant finals coach and was a lot better than Thompson wit the very same team.

To say we almost blew it in 2009 is one of the biggest loads of crap I've ever read on this site.
St Kilda won their first 19 games and ended up 2 wins and nearly 30% clear on top.
That team would have cantered to the flag in any of the last 3 Seasons and yet we beat them.

Even in 2007, in front of easily the biggest and noisiest crowd any of them would have played in front of, against a team they had hit strong form and with 44 years of expectations on their shoulders, they still won the match. I have no doubt that the circumstances in the prelim, provided the confidence and belief for the following week

You’re stinking it up today.

Even in 2007, in front of easily the biggest and noisiest crowd any of them would have played in front of, against a team they had hit strong form and with 44 years of expectations on their shoulders, they still won the match. I have no doubt that the circumstances in the prelim, provided the confidence and belief for the following week
Probably similar to how beating Geelong in the 2013 the way they did gave Hawthorn the mental resolve and confidence required to win three premierships in a row. Playing and winning close games when they needed to became a hallmark of that side, and you could say it really started with that game.

There's nothing wrong with a side winning a tight finals game under enormous pressure, especially when they're just emerging as a high-quality side.

133 point win and people are in here arguing about 2013...

Take along hard look. :rolleyes:

GO Catters
Not sure how anyone could be upset after today.

Goalless for 3 quarters.

Scott dropped some scrubs and brought in guys who did a great job.

No major injuries that I can think of although I did miss chunks of the match.

Goals for everyone and we set a new AFL record today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure how anyone could be upset after today.

Goalless for 3 quarters.

Scott dropped some scrubs and brought in guys who did a great job.

No major injuries that I can think of although I did miss chunks of the match.

Goals for everyone and we set a new AFL record today.
He is slowly revealing our best 22.
And I'm glad that includes Cam G and Murdoch

We've been in 6 finals practically in a row and not made the grand final once. Has that ever happened in the leagues history? That's pretty remarkable in all honesty.

Haven't seen todays match, looking forward to watching later.

We've been in 7 finals practically in a row and not made the grand final once. Has that ever happened in the leagues history? That's pretty remarkable in all honesty.

Haven't seen todays match, looking forward to watching later.
Serious question?
In that time, 2 prelims, and 15, no finals at all

Serious question?
In that time, 2 prelims, and 15, no finals at all

Yeah after all those cracks you'd think we'd make the Grand Final more than once.

I was going to add I don't think it's because of circumstance. It's something the clubs doing. All those games we essentially played different/terrible and don't score, couple of those matches were goaless halves too from memory. Needs to fix the coaching mentality going into finals because it's probably cost us a few chances.

His wording was not ideal, but surely you can appreciate his point, which is totally valid.
2011 is the ONLY year we were clearly, without stress, the team of the finals series.
In 07, we could easily have lost the Prelim.
In 09, a Tomahawk non goal, and we might not have clawed it back in that last quarter.
Of course, history shows that we had a massive win in 07, and deserved it. and we did kick goals in the 09 GF last Q, wich Saints did not do, but the ???? are real.
You can not say that about 11.
Think about what you're comparing for a second. In 2007 the team had never tasted success, and the club had the bogey over them with the premiership drought, now with all the expectation on them. A scare at some point was expected, especially with 90,000 at the G against a huge club in Collingwood. Showing the bottle to win that where the team would have folded in the past deserves as much respect as coasting. It was after all flanked by two of the most dominant finals performances in modern footy history.

2009 similarly way more pressure. We DID choke away the 2008 flag so this one was either going to cement a legacy as a great side, or leave 2007 as a flukey one off flag. Without 2009 I don't think the team is composed enough to bounce back from 2010 to nab 2011. They'd literally just shown they could bounce back from disappointment to get a redemption flag. Bearing in mind, St Kilda were the best H&A side of 2009 and beat us during the season. Why would winning against that adversity count for less than getting the 2011 flag, which really was a lovely "cherry on top" but not as high pressure. All flag chances are high pressure but you know what I mean.

All 3 flags were deserved and had different meritorious aspects. I've always said if Scott gets us another he becomes a great coach, which is what Bomber was. Bomber did have plenty of faults and made errors, as even great coaches do. He just has more in the plus column, as it stands now.

Because comparisons with past and potential coaches always crop up on this pathetic thread.
References to Bomber would only be in reply to such comparisons by other posters I believe.
Some pampered supporters somehow can not cope with us not being the #1 team in the comp every year and behave as if they have more nous, insight and knowledge than the coach and MC who live, breathe and die by their work at Geelong.
Just argue the points, or ignore these people altogether if they are upsetting you so much. I'm not offended or insulted even by Crazy's extreme views, so why are you with the most ardent Scott critics? It's a forum, of course there are armchair experts about. Nothing wrong with any of them commenting, no matter how outlandish one might find their view.

Just argue the points, or ignore these people altogether if they are upsetting you so much. I'm not offended or insulted even by Crazy's extreme views, so why are you with the most ardent Scott critics? It's a forum, of course there are armchair experts about. Nothing wrong with any of them commenting, no matter how outlandish one might find their view.
Thanks Meow.
That's exactly what I'm doing, arguing the points.

Think about what you're comparing for a second. In 2007 the team had never tasted success, and the club had the bogey over them with the premiership drought, now with all the expectation on them. A scare at some point was expected, especially with 90,000 at the G against a huge club in Collingwood. Showing the bottle to win that where the team would have folded in the past deserves as much respect as coasting. It was after all flanked by two of the most dominant finals performances in modern footy history.

2009 similarly way more pressure. We DID choke away the 2008 flag so this one was either going to cement a legacy as a great side, or leave 2007 as a flukey one off flag. Without 2009 I don't think the team is composed enough to bounce back from 2010 to nab 2011. They'd literally just shown they could bounce back from disappointment to get a redemption flag. Bearing in mind, St Kilda were the best H&A side of 2009 and beat us during the season. Why would winning against that adversity count for less than getting the 2011 flag, which really was a lovely "cherry on top" but not as high pressure. All flag chances are high pressure but you know what I mean.

All 3 flags were deserved and had different meritorious aspects. I've always said if Scott gets us another he becomes a great coach, which is what Bomber was. Bomber did have plenty of faults and made errors, as even great coaches do. He just has more in the plus column, as it stands now.
The counter (hypothetical) argument is that CS in charge of THAT LIST 07-11, would have won 4-5 flags given what he did in 2011.
And the CS detractors NEVER come on after a great win and concede that he can coach.
It's always crap opposition, wait for next week...

Last edited:
Thanks Meow.
That's exactly what I'm doing, arguing the points.
Well from that post, "He has runs on the board, and is building a new team." was the only argument, the rest was emotive drivel (no offence!).

The counter-counter hypothetical argument, is that Scott could not have built such a successful team from the ground up. After 2015 which is the closest to what you could say Bomber inherited in 2000 - Geelong were already established as a destination club for free agents, there were premiership heroes remaining to help the handover/develop the next generation and the closest we can get to success is a PF belting. In a weaker, talent diluted competition. Who knows what he would have done if we stacked up on the draft 2014 onwards instead of FA, but that really is as pointless a hypothetical as giving Scott the 2007-2011 team. Can only assess them on what they created and achieved.

Because comparisons with past and potential coaches always crop up on this pathetic thread.

Couldn't agree more Vdubs. Very spoilt. They should be thankful they don't barrack for the Saints or Dees. Or even being a Dogs or Tigers supporter prior to 2016, 2017. The thing is if Scott ever got sacked and his replacement oversaw us fall down the ladder for multiple years, the same people would criticise the club for getting rid of a premiership coach. Can't win.

The counter (hypothetical) argument is that CS in charge of THAT LIST 07-11, would have won 4-5 flags given what he did in 2011.
And the CS detractors NEVER come on after a great win and concede that he can coach.
It's always crap opposition, wait for next week...

Sorry VD, that’s crap.

I’m absolutely a detractor - and I’m not apologising for it - but I will admit every day of the week he can coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back