Clarkson on the attack. The good the bad and the ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

It's been brewing since at least 2015, but we were so focussed on the 3peat and possibility of 4thorn and then dealing with the mini-rebuild that we hadn't stopped and paid attention until now. Most of the 2016 season was unwatchable and 2017 was worse.

The game is rapidly getting more unwatchable as the rolling maul of super-athletic bin chickens has taken over the craft of AFL football. There is no skill left in the game anymore, players only train to kick low percentage arsey snap goals and running to create or block space, they've completely abandoned the basics of kicking straight, disposing of the ball at least somewhat legitimately, tackling properly and not throwing a tantrum like a 4 year old child at every single opportunity.
But that sh*t helps garbage teams win games & average/good teams win flags.

Can hardly blame coaches, it’s the idiots behind the desks, that pander to the idiots making/watching TV that cause the problem.

But that sh*t helps garbage teams win games & average/good teams win flags.

Can hardly blame coaches, it’s the idiots behind the desks, that pander to the idiots making/watching TV that cause the problem.

Lack of professional umpiring and it’s policing over the journey hasn’t helped. I’m not blaming the umps as it is effin hard to umpire, but they needed a truckload more support and resources well before now as wel as being recgnudre full time pros.

Though the umps from the 80s were much quicker with the whistle and punitive on incorrect disposal which doesn’t exist now.
That’s definitely 1 step that would help break the u10s rolling maul we watch now.

The horse also bolted in the marking contest once Silvsgni was able to get away with all his holding, tangling, scragging etc in the late 80s, it only got worse after that and slowly the pendulum swung in favour of the backs to where we are now.

Try not using your hands at the park with your mates, it soon becomes a real marking contest where early position and /or jump reigns and one has to spoil as the other is a genuine marking chance.

Clarko no fool. Tis why Longmire and Scott are so shitty about it, last thing they want is the cornerstone of their game plan being exposed. Tigers not be too happy either. Hahaha

Hardwick has been surprisingly quiet on this. I bet Simpson is happy though, with Darling and Kennedy in theory getting far better access to the ball this weekend.

Maybe this is a part of the deal for Mitchell to come back in a couple of years.

Hardwick has been surprisingly quiet on this. I bet Simpson is happy though, with Darling and Kennedy in theory getting far better access to the ball this weekend.

Maybe this is a part of the deal for Mitchell to come back in a couple of years.

Clarko clearly had WCE v Tigers game in mind this week, great test case for umps and how coaches/ players/ game style reacts.

Clarko clearly had WCE v Tigers game in mind this week, great test case for umps and how coaches/ players/ game style reacts.

Yep, though its a WCE home game and they generally get "favourable" treatment from the umpires.

By "favourable" I mean about 300 or 400 more free kicks over the last 6 or 8 years.

Am I imagining things or has Clarko been a little more upfront when it comes to the media since Jeff's come back? Almost feels like he's been let off the chain a bit, which I enjoy seeing knowing the AFL is going to screw us anyway so why not call a spade a spade!

Very interesting thought ACA, and we know, no matter what we think of the two as individuals, we know they both share a common goal.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Prior opportunity is fine, but it is the other rules that impact the play. Deliberate for example. Players can't just dispose of it because if it goes out, it's a free against. Want to get players into position? Stop paying deliberate. If teams won't get the ball back, they'll quickly learn that they need to stop ball-following.

Posted as I wrote, but my sentiments exactly. Bring back entertaining footy.
And thinking back, did Ross Lyon start this. Games vs St Kilda were crap to watch under his coaching with the incessant flooding/trying to win by defense, and now games versus Fremantle are close to the most painful to watch.
I think most of Tasmania agree with me, Hawks vs Fremantle have gone from 17K crowds 6 years ago to 11K crowds in the last couple of years

I think Ross Lyon was one of the first to start this crap defensive flooding game and as you said, he is still getting his team to play a boring style. He should spend more time trying to play attacking footy and less time sexually harassing young staff.

I think Ross Lyon was one of the first to start this crap defensive flooding game and as you said, he is still getting his team to play a boring style. He should spend more time trying to play attacking footy and less time sexually harassing young staff.

Paul Roos was the instigator. Lyon and Longmire learned from him.

Yep, though its a WCE home game and they generally get "favourable" treatment from the umpires.

By "favourable" I mean about 300 or 400 more free kicks over the last 6 or 8 years.

Yes they have and that’s why it might a real litmus test for the Tigers defensive end. If the umps crack down on it (with help from the crowd) and it helps Kennedy and Darling to take some big marks up forward, watch the media jump on board.

Yes they have and that’s why it might a real litmus test for the Tigers defensive end. If the umps crack down on it (with help from the crowd) and it helps Kennedy and Darling to take some big marks up forward, watch the media jump on board.
Media jump on board with something positive? I'd like to see that!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just get amused by Scott saying what Clarko did wasn't a "good look". So Mr Scott, what IS a good look? Acting like one of those clowns in the amusement section at the royal show where you pop a table tennis ball in their mouth every time there's a free against the cats? Criticising other coaches and tribunal decisions in public? Is that a good look?

All the geelong people voicing their opinions in the media trying to get players from other clubs suspended, is that a good look as well?

The only good look Scott needs to be worried about is taking a good look at himself and his club before he starts having a go at others.

As for Horse, nobody takes him seriously so who cares what he thinks?

It may be that the media haven't had access to Hardwick and Simpson to air their views, or as you say, they have purposely held back their views.

The latter is more likely given their close relationship with Clarkson.

What is forming amongst senior coaching circles is the Clarkson camp and then everyone else. Fagan, Hardwick, Cameron, Simpson, Beveridge and Bolton are all firmly Clarkson apprentices and approved coaches. They have all had a close working relationship with Clarkson and the Hawthorn football club and will be familiar with his thoughts on the game.

Back years ago I would sometimes leave a game with my father ( played alongside Billy Barrot) and say geez that was scrappy and hard to watch, and I expected to win by a larger margin, my father would say that sometimes you only play as well as a poor side will let you, I would ask how is that and he he would answer with the poor side isn't trying to win they are just trying not to lose by a big margin.
Fast forward to now and things haven't changed that much only that top teams are doing the same thing and only playing 15 minutes of football that win you the game.

The game as a spectacle has been replaced and has become a vehicle for sponsorship partners to promote their wares to a fixed audience. The irony being the fixed audience is/will diminish if the spectacle further erodes. The rolling maul, all players in a 20m area fighting to lock the ball in is turgid.

An idea, bad though is is might be that given the supreme fitness levels of the players and their ability to cover the ground plus the fact that ground sizes won't change, how about reducing the numbers on the pitch by two aside ? Make more space to run into and less players in the congestion in theory.

I think others may have posted similar.

But it seems pretty clear to me that Clarko only met with Gil to push his thoughts on something which others have said aren’t much of a concern(at the previous leaders of football meeting).

Clarko has presented an example of getting marks back into the game, if he did in fact talk to Gil about blocking.

I think the outrage being perpetuated through the media and this site regarding Clarkson presenting his opinion on how to improve the game as a spectacle is so blown out of proportion that I can only laugh at how ******* ridiculous this world is and the people who occupy it.

I think others may have posted similar.

But it seems pretty clear to me that Clarko only met with Gil to push his thoughts on something which others have said aren’t much of a concern(at the previous leaders of football meeting).

Clarko has presented an example of getting marks back into the game, if he did in fact talk to Gil about blocking.

I think the outrage being perpetuated through the media and this site regarding Clarkson presenting his opinion on how to improve the game as a spectacle is so blown out of proportion that I can only laugh at how ******* ridiculous this world is and the people who occupy it.

Yes, I think it's fear that's driving them:

1. Fear that this will re-ignite their recurring nightmares of regular Hawthorn premierships.
2. Fear that someone will call out Roos, Lyon, Longmire, Scott etc on the boring, ugly, sh*tty game style they play.

Clarko has won 4 premierships playing skilful, attacking footy.

But Paul Roos is the master coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back