News Col Hutchinson's top 50 Geelong players

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couch 13

Newman 15

Ablett jnr 17

The others look to be old timers - very hard to get around that subscription block - typical Murdoch owned paper
It's easy to get around.

Google the acticle you want open the link in incognito mode

Todays players are
11 Ian Nankervis
12 George Todd
13 Paul Couch
14 Dick Grigg
15 John Newman
16 Teddy Rankin
17 Gary Ablett Jr
18 Eward Greeves
19 Henry Young
20 Peter Burns

It's easy to get around.

Google the acticle you want open the link in incognito mode

Todays players are
11 Ian Nankervis
12 George Todd
13 Paul Couch
14 Dick Grigg
15 John Newman
16 Teddy Rankin
17 Gary Ablett Jr
18 Eward Greeves
19 Henry Young
20 Peter Burns

How do I invoke incognito mode? I understand copying then pasting the link into google and that works fine with Faifax but I've never been able to get it to work with Limited News sites.

I think that's fair on GAJ.

If you were to name the best 3 AFL players ever to pull on the hoops, he'd be one of them. However breaking down his contribution to the club itself shows that he basically spent 4 years as a gun, and 4 or 5 as a talented but unimportant player.

On Brownless, while I don't think he should be in the top 50, a player as powerful as he was would always struggle with an Ablett Sr alongside at full tilt.

He still managed seasons of 70 and 80 goals from memory during Senior's flirt with retirement.

Ian Nankervis ahead of Jnr! No freaking way.

I loved Nanker and he was a champion but Jnr had a streak of absolute magic which he produced game after game, year after year.

Hutch must have marked Jnr down because he left which is an unfair factor to use.

Gaz junior at 17 is interesting. Thought he'd have been top 10 for sure.
Duration probably counted against him. Was a good but flighty forward pocket/half-forward from 2002-2006 and an elite midfielder from 2007-2010.

How do I invoke incognito mode? I understand copying then pasting the link into google and that works fine with Faifax but I've never been able to get it to work with Limited News sites.

It depends on the internet browser that you have but most would be similar. Right click the link, for chrome and firefox you should see open link in incognito window.

upload_2016-11-11_12-12-41.png

I'm only 28, so I accept that I can be accused of not having enough knowledge of our player history, but to me 4 years at the level that Jnr played automatically puts him into the top 3.

It's unfair to suggest duration cost him. He was the best player in the competition for 92 games. For comparison, John Coleman only managed 98 games in his career, but when those performances are of such a standard you can't just discount them because of a lack of duration or club aligned longevity.

Don't wish to appear as though I am bagging or devaluing any player on Col's list, but can't buy GA jnr at 17 behind Couchy and Ian Nankervis for instance.

Paul Couch was a terrific player, but Gary has him covered by a long way, by any measure. Can't help think Col has been a bit mean spirited because Gary left the club, no way he sits that low.

I think Malarkey will come in at number 10 - in fact you can pencil it in now i reckon

Col wrote a book in the 80s called Cats Tales - and this is what he said about Gary Malarkey

" One of Geelongs most effective fullbacks and probably the strongest defender to ever represent the team. His great concentration solid marking effective spoiling tactics, courage pace and superb kicking resulted in nightmares for opposing forwards . Few players have emulated his consistency "

Now that is some rap - and a brilliant summary - now after writing that in a book - you cant put Bos in the top 50 and leave Malarkey out

There is a picture of I Nankervis ( who has come in at no 11 ) with Malarkey on the front cover of his book ! - and those 2 were a great combination - so Malarkey has to be a shoe in for no 10 .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ian Nankervis ahead of Jnr! No freaking way.

I loved Nanker and he was a champion but Jnr had a streak of absolute magic which he produced game after game, year after year.

Hutch must have marked Jnr down because he left which is an unfair factor to use.

If he's marking them on contribution to the club, then it's fair to use. Ablett was only at his best for Geelong from 07-10. May have been higher if he'd played out his career at the club.

Still, I'd have him much higher. He was just so good at the height of his powers.

Junior at 17 isn't interesting it's an embarrassment.Gaz was top shelf.
This is where I think Col definitely loses credibility:

Gary Ablett Junior
192 games with Geelong
1 x Brownlow
3 x AFLPA MVP's
2 x B&F's
4 AA
2 Premierships

And the best Col can do is 17?

13 Boris
14 Doug Wade
15 John Newman
16 Jimmy
17 Ian Nankervis
18 George Moloney
19 Paul Couch
20 Dennis Marshall

Which would mean that the likes of Bruce Morrison, John Devine, Harry Taylor, Russ Renfrey and many others would miss out. Tough exercise.
You were spot on with Sam Newman!

Gary Ablett Junior
192 games with Geelong
1 x Brownlow
3 x AFLPA MVP's
2 x B&F's
2 Premierships

Agree, especially with the bold.In 3 separate seasons with Geelong, Gaz was rated by his peers as the best player in the game. He won the AFLPA MVP more times while at Geelong than any other player has won in their career. It is an award that has been around for 35 years now and the only other players to have on it for Geelong are his father, Diesel and Danger.

He was clearly the best player in the game for a 3 year period while a Geelong player. Not sure there are 16 other Geelong players who can claim to have achieved as much. And while Gaz was far from a superstar before 2007, he finished 4th in the best and fairest in 2003, 8th in 2004, 3rd in 2005 and 3rd in 2006. So in 9 seasons with Geelong he finished in the top 4 in the best and fairest 7 times. He was a consitently good player for nearly his whole career at Geelong

Gary Ablett Junior
192 games with Geelong
1 x Brownlow
3 x AFLPA MVP's
2 x B&F's
4 AA
2 Premierships

He's one of the best players of all-time, let alone at Geelong. Just has to be top 3 with Ablett snr and Farmer.

My top 10 ( given the players already listed from 11-50 )

Not in any order

Hickey
Moloney
Farmer
Ablett snr
Goggin
Bartel
Wade
Scarlett
Malarkey
Enright

Hope i havent left some obvious superstar out !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back