Coach NMFC Senior Coach Rhyce Shaw - Ben Buckley announces NMFC & Shaw will part ways immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

The one thing with these standards are, will they be enforced over all on the list?

I doubt if JZ was five seconds late out of the rooms, he would be kept off the track.

AFAIK these rules aren’t new. Bit of a weird article tbh. Good PR I spose

Edit, that you can’t train and your spot is at risk is new. There used to be a punishment for being late but more fines etc

Last edited:

Wait, so players weren't punctual for meetings BEFORE now? Piss poor if that was the case.

These players are being paid bucketloads, they can't pull themselves away from a gaming console to get to a meeting on time?

Kids these days!

Human beings will work to the confines of their environment.

Rocking up late not an issue then it's not an issue.

Not training skills not an issue then it's not an issue.

Setting the tone with things like time is simple but it's important.

It is however meaningless if not backed up with larger change and consequence for non adherence.

Change is afoot and I am liking what I am hearing. However the long and short of it is there has to be fruit from the changes on field.

I'd like to know.....................................(insert drumroll)...................................

...............WHAT HAVE THEY BEEN DOING.............

.......IN THEIR SPARE TIME!!!!................:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

There are no excuses. In early morning traffic you give yourself an extra half an hour to make time for traffic accidents or roadworks.

Number 5 wont be far away.

Time is of the essence at Roos under Rhyce Shaw
By Peter Ryan
November 16, 2019 — 1.51pm
New North Melbourne coach Rhyce Shaw has made punctuality a non-negotiable at the Kangaroos as they prepare for the 2020 season.

A countdown clock now hovers over the training track at Arden Street to remind players how long before they are due on the track.

Any player not on the ground on time will not be allowed to train, affecting their chances of selection.

A similar rule has been instituted in relation to meetings with no-one allowed to open a closed door to make a late entry to team catch-ups.

If you are not there on time you miss out.

The simple rules mean people who struggle to be on time will soon change their ways and there will be no surprises either if there are ramifications for tardiness.

Although such disciplinary measures can carry danger, the group has bought into Shaw's strong commitment to being on time as they understand it is just one component of the broad range of qualities he brings to coaching.

His reputation as a relationship builder who respects his players as people has been well established and his work in the off season has been instrumental in keeping the club functioning smoothly.

As emerging forward Nick Larkey said on Friday, the 38-year-old rookie coach has the right balance between "being liked and being respected".

Shaw, who was twice named assistant coach of the year during his time at Sydney, has also emphasised his desire for the AFL and VFL programs to be aligned in all areas to make it easier for players making the transition from the VFL to the AFL.

With first to fourth years having been on the track for two weeks already the Kangaroos will welcome back to training club stalwarts Ben Cunnington, Shaun Higgins, Todd Goldstein and skipper Jack Ziebell.

The Kangaroos new CEO Ben Amarfio will begin shortly while former West Coast list manager Brady Rawlings will start as the Kangaroos' football manager next month when his 'gardening leave' expires soon after the national draft.

The club is still on the lookout for a new list manager after the departure of Michael McMahon.

North Melbourne will hit the national draft without a first-round draft pick after they made a pick swap during the trade period with Melbourne that saw them land picks 26, 50 and a future first round pick in exchange for pick 8.

That is unreal.

Human beings will work to the confines of their environment.

Rocking up late not an issue then it's not an issue.

Not training skills not an issue then it's not an issue.

Setting the tone with things like time is simple but it's important.

It is however meaningless if not backed up with larger change and consequence for non adherence.

Change is afoot and I am liking what I am hearing. However the long and short of it is there has to be fruit from the changes on field.
So then it begs the question:
WTF have the coaches and management been doing all this time, by not setting the right standards?

I'm legitimately staggered to hear this has been going on, if true. Seems like we were well overdue for a clean out.

"The culture of an organization, is determined by the behaviour that management is willing to tolerate".

AFAIK these rules aren’t new. Bit of a weird article tbh. Good PR I spose

Edit, that you can’t train and your spot is at risk is new. There used to be a punishment for being late but more fines etc

This is brilliant.

WTF have the coaches and management been doing all this time, by not setting the right standards?

I'm legitimately staggered to hear this has been going on, if true. Seems like we were well overdue for a clean out.

"The culture of an organization, is determined by the behaviour that management is willing to tolerate".

Same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club has paying members, who get to their own jobs on time, to make money for memberships and donations to support the club, keep it alive, so the players have a place of employment, and they can't get to meetings on time. And the club has been ok with it.

A slap in the face to members.

My sense is that standards may have slipped somewhat as the Brad era lengthened. It’s a symptom of people being in their jobs too long, where familiarity breeds contempt.

I think the length of incumbency, not the incumbent, is the more salient issue.

Head coach
List manager
Head of footy
Senior assistants
CEO

All gone

Whatever they were doing one way or another they were given the door.

Is it really a surprise after that clean out that there were not standards being driven?

Isn’t it amazing when a new set of eyes come in and see things completely different. Rhyce must have got a huge shock when he saw the goings on.
The players could do no wrong in the eyes of Scott as he would back the players to the hilt and it seems the players took advantage of this to a small degree. Scott also seemed to influence the footy department too much so it was necessary to have a clean out.
Rhyce has clean deck to put his imprint without anyone underlying him. It is a positive stance by the club (it seems Buckley could also see what was happening) .

Our brand under Rhyce - The Shinboner way :thumbsupemoji:

North Melbourne became a ferocious tackling side under Shaw, attacking the ball and man with an intent that saw rivals taken aback.

It was a statement of intent rather than a short-term emotional response.

“It is what we are going to be recognised for. It’s going to be our brand,” Rawlings said.

“Rhyce has been open, we put it on show in the second half of last year.

“It’s who we are and what we want to be so it’s how we train it and how we present it no matter what is thrown at it. We think it stands up in September so it’s why we are going to play that way.”
Pagan MkII with any luck.

Head coach
List manager
Head of footy
Senior assistants
CEO

All gone

Whatever they were doing one way or another they were given the door.

Is it really a surprise after that clean out that there were not standards being driven?
The surprise is that the poor standards were tolerated for so bloody long. The people in those roles you mentioned had been in them for years and years.

The surprise is that the poor standards were tolerated for so bloody long. The people in those roles you mentioned had been in them for years and years.
Kimbo mentions above about familiarity breeding contempt and that is what it is.

Standards probably didn't start off there but ebbed away over time.

Little by little. A small amount taken for granted here, one less f*** given there and you wind up in a place where being punctual is cause for a media article it would seem.

I read somewhere, either here or twitter or somewhere;), that there were already similar rules in place so it’s not new!

What’s new news is that the penalty has gone from financial , which probably doesn’t hurt much if you’re on 500k to now being your personal reputation if not game time - pretty valuable!!!

A big change but it’s not like there was nothing.

The more astounding thing to me is that they apparently did very like skills work- freaking bizarre!!

Kimbo mentions above about familiarity breeding contempt and that is what it is.

Little by little. A small amount taken for granted here, one less f*** given there and you wind up in a place where being punctual is cause for a media article it would seem.

From the players' viewpoint, you could understand how they got to the mindset that it didn't really matter what you did during the week (or even on the ground) - selection policy was long-established and you were either in or out of the seniors if fit.

It never happened when there was an alpha in charge.

All players would be at the club long before training starts for breakfast, strapping etc. What it reflects to me is very much a change in attitude. Just say a bloke on $250k gets fined $500 for being late on to the track. He will be a bit sheepish and the boys would give him some lighthearted ribbing, but it wouldn't be a big deal.

I bet now every *er on the list will be prepped and on the track early from now on, helping to build a highly professional environment around the joint. I look forward to ducking in to training in early December to see what the standards are like.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back