List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:

Poorly thought out rant here, but consider these three things as part of a whole:

1. Surge in kids giving sufficient winks/nods/declarations that they're likely to get 'homesick'
2. Hawthorn pretty nakedly going the tank for a future prospect - they've skipped Melbourne "just lose this game for me lads?" checkers and gone straight to San Antonio "if we rid ourselves of all talent it doesn't matter how well we play" chess
3. The hamfisted AFL intervention on the Geelong/Suns salary dump, just the latest chapter in the expansion club farm system

I mean, I know the AFL draft process has been cooked for a while.. AFL integrity altogether, really.. but surely we're reaching some sort of critical mass here?

Who are the critical stakeholders for a genuine rethink on player movements, drafts (time for a lottery?) and the continued uselessness of the expansion teams? The AFLPA seems happy to hide behind the player managers as there's a marriage of convenience between the stars/future stars/agents - lower-rung players be damned - so forget them I guess?

Too many of the Melbourne clubs have benefited from the Gold Coast/GWS gravy train, so forget them.

Maybe it's the broadcasters? If Hawthorn really go the ubertank this year and pick up a generational talent, without sanction, others will follow suit in short order. And this strikes me as a key difference to other leagues with these sort of problems insofar as the NFL has what? 16 games each weekend? and tanking is naturally less useful in a sport with such large squads. NBA has a huge tanking problem, even with a lottery, but 30+ teams serving up 82 games a year means that the broadcasters get quantity if not quality. For the AFL though, it's 9 games a week. Imagine for a second that three teams go hard tank for 1x full season, 1x half season, and 1x a quarter season, that's around ~30-35 games that are already cooked in terms of viewer interest - conservatively, 15% of regular season games unlikely to draw neutral fan interest of any kind.

Anyway, this post is really apropos nothing, but this stuff is beginning to look pretty bloody shabby - even by AFL standards.

Draftees should have to do psychological testing to see if they would actually have any real issues with moving state. I'd bet that 9/10 times it's just BS.
Most players would like to remain in their home state and/or play for the team they barracked for, but if they were allowed to do that, that would be the end of the draft system. So as it is non Victorian teams teams get robbed yet again.

I believe Wardlaw played the religious card as well not wanting to move along with Sheezel
I also believe WCE GWS and Adelaide all made informal complaints to the AFL about them both
This was all over the combine weekend
It also why Sheenan come out with his comments
And what did the AFL do? SFA.

I believe Wardlaw played the religious card as well not wanting to move along with Sheezel
I also believe WCE GWS and Adelaide all made informal complaints to the AFL about them both
Is Wardlaw Jewish as well or is it another religion?

He has already played the totally stuffed hammies card.

Integrity of the draft badly compromised. It‘s what happens when you have rules and allow some people to thumb their noses at it and you do nothing.

I hope you are right
What did Sheehan say?

Poorly thought out rant here, but consider these three things as part of a whole:

1. Surge in kids giving sufficient winks/nods/declarations that they're likely to get 'homesick'
2. Hawthorn pretty nakedly going the tank for a future prospect - they've skipped Melbourne "just lose this game for me lads?" checkers and gone straight to San Antonio "if we rid ourselves of all talent it doesn't matter how well we play" chess
3. The hamfisted AFL intervention on the Geelong/Suns salary dump, just the latest chapter in the expansion club farm system

I mean, I know the AFL draft process has been cooked for a while.. AFL integrity altogether, really.. but surely we're reaching some sort of critical mass here?

Who are the critical stakeholders for a genuine rethink on player movements, drafts (time for a lottery?) and the continued uselessness of the expansion teams? The AFLPA seems happy to hide behind the player managers as there's a marriage of convenience between the stars/future stars/agents - lower-rung players be damned - so forget them I guess?

Too many of the Melbourne clubs have benefited from the Gold Coast/GWS gravy train, so forget them.

Maybe it's the broadcasters? If Hawthorn really go the ubertank this year and pick up a generational talent, without sanction, others will follow suit in short order. And this strikes me as a key difference to other leagues with these sort of problems insofar as the NFL has what? 16 games each weekend? and tanking is naturally less useful in a sport with such large squads. NBA has a huge tanking problem, even with a lottery, but 30+ teams serving up 82 games a year means that the broadcasters get quantity if not quality. For the AFL though, it's 9 games a week. Imagine for a second that three teams go hard tank for 1x full season, 1x half season, and 1x a quarter season, that's around ~30-35 games that are already cooked in terms of viewer interest - conservatively, 15% of regular season games unlikely to draw neutral fan interest of any kind.

Anyway, this post is really apropos nothing, but this stuff is beginning to look pretty bloody shabby - even by AFL standards.
Will add the stupid draft pick allocation system for father and son where the clubs end up trading for a whole lot of late picks.

So we having discussions with GWS about trading ports future second for either 15, 18 or 19 this year if they player we want is sitting there?

Surely gws would love to push one of their million picks this year to next. Moving off port (maybe pick 27 off next year) for a player who we want this year makes sense.

So we having discussions with GWS about trading ports future second for either 15, 18 or 19 this year if they player we want is sitting there?

Surely gws would love to push one of their million picks this year to next. Moving off port (maybe pick 27 off next year) for a player who we want this year makes sense.

We should do it anyway, another pick in the top 20 this year will be a better option than a second rounder next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe one of them does - no names at present
Has the club made any contact with the AFL around the increasing lack of integrity of the draft process and any what's the feeling in the list management community around the reigning premier securing a pick 10 and pick 7 for a future third round pick?

Most players would like to remain in their home state and/or play for the team they barracked for, but if they were allowed to do that, that would be the end of the draft system. So as it is non Victorian teams teams get robbed yet again.
Yeah, and it would be the psychs job to figure out whether a player wants to stay out of loyalty to a club or convenience, or if there is a genuine psychological or emotional need to stay in their home state.

Phillipou is this year's SPP, Johnson, Valente etc. Almost means his career is going to be mediocre.
Why ? Because people people rate him .

Those other player weren't top 10 picks .

Phillipou to me would be the type of player to play a few years doing some nice things then go bang in his 3rd or 4th year .

Remember he is only 4 days off being in next years draft

Cue the inundation of mental health concerns in young draftees who need to get home for their mental wellbeing.
And of course victorian bleating that interstate clubs must pay full price to kids returning home to them whilst also facilitating vic kids returning home for chickenfeed as its the right thing by the player…..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back