List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
What they want and what they get are 2 different things. Baker is a great kid - fantastic character and a wonderful young man - but anyone who thinks he is worth a pick greater than 20-25, I think has hit the pub a bit early today.
All the Richmond fans in the draft trade and free agency Baker thread are all alcoholics then.

Was just about to say the same. Sid has been popular in here this week but let’s at least wait until we see him play this year 👍🏻
It's the mental process of elimination.
O'Sullivan is probably off the board if we don't get a top two pick (still a distinct possibility that we do). Smillie might be as well.
Smith is apparently too small and has suspect disposal. Ditto Moraes. Question marks on how they transition to the AFL.
Hutton plays more outside/forward and Johnson and Anderson are coming from a fair way back and don't necessarily have the runs on the board yet.
Then you can take a number of players off the board due to f/s and academies.
Ergo Draper. At least I think that's the logic.

What they want and what they get are 2 different things. Baker is a great kid - fantastic character and a wonderful young man - but anyone who thinks he is worth a pick greater than 20-25, I think has hit the pub a bit early today.
I'd love him at the club and wouldn't mind if we used our 2nd on him, having said that I reckon he either stays at shitmond or goes to cockburn... unfortunately

Last edited:

ESPN have done an early ranking of the 2024 draft and without exception, they are all midfielders.

1. Jagga Smith - VM
2. Finn O'Sullivn - VC
3. Josh Smillie - VM
4. Syd Draper - SA
5. Levi Ashcroft - Lions F/S and hopefully they have to properly pay for him this year
6. Christian Moraes - VM
7. Tyler Welsh - Crows F/S
8. Sam Lalor - VC
9. Leo Lombard - Suns academy
10. Tom Gross - VM

In discussions late last year with Monocle and Eastcoasteagle, the playing style comparison for Jagga Smith was Josh Kelly while both O'Sullivan and were more like Sam Walsh. Smillie was seen as a Patrick Cripps.

I have seen more of Smillie and FOS being touted as top 2 in a number of other forums so one of these 3 looks good. My personal preference is one of Smith or O'Sullivan. I think we are a lock for a bottom 3 finish and who the flock knows what Norf will do as they surely cannot go for another midfielder (again and again and again)

For anyone thinking that Smith being a Vic Metro is a mummy's boy and a flight risk, here he is with Harley in 2017 in Darwin in the U12 Vic team (along with the Wizard)
View attachment 1962849

And the trio again at the 2023 carnival.

View attachment 1962850

Smith's father was from Tassie and drafted by Collingwood in 1988 but did not play seniors (strong Pie's line up in that period - Premiers in 1990). Therefore although Jagga was born in Melbourne, I would think there are less extended family to hold back. In a recent HUN article, he mentions his friendship with Harley. He also mentions his role this year will be more forward based as he had been given feedback he will be better having 2 strings to his bow. In 2023 and again this season, we have seen he can play as a balanced midfielder. Can he now become a consistent goal scorer?

Smith has left school already and it will be interesting to see what he can do in what will essentially be a full time football role (minus the pay check)

I will be watching his development this year big time.
What I find interesting is that talent identification is well enough developed that at the age of 12 the guys who go at the pointy end of the draft by age 18 have been identified.
Unless its a self-fulfilling prophecy (probably not)

We do, but I don’t see Baker or Clarke ripping off Richmond. The club surely isn’t going to split out 1R to get Baker. Our 2R will be 25ish and I think we’d rather use that on Buss. F2 might be put on the table but again Richmond would knock that back. Baker for Freo’s middle 1R pick is where I reckon it’s going to land. Would much rather use free agency to get 26yo.

If we could convince him to sign with Richmond for one more year through to FA then offer him a band 1 contract THAT would be enticing for both clubs. Probably ends up pick 4-6 for Richmond and nothing draft wise for us.
excuse the intrusion

I actually posted almost the exact same comment on the drafts board and went down like a rock with some of the posters from freo
If Baker wants to come to the eagles and the cash is better why wouldnt this be an option and would make so much more sense for all 3 parties imo

• Baker gets to go back to WA
  • Plays for the team he supported
  • Eagles have another year of development and new recruits making his new club better
  • Another year for eagles to move dead wood allowing more cap space
*Baker gets a nice 5 year deal from eagles making up the difference

Baker still has another 6-7 years of football and doesnt rely on speed or athletic ability
If anybody could orchestrate such a deal then you would think Matty Clarke & Liam Baker would have close ties to make it happen

excuse the intrusion

I actually posted almost the exact same comment on the drafts board and went down like a rock with some of the posters from freo
If Baker wants to come to the eagles and the cash is better why wouldnt this be an option and would make so much more sense for all 3 parties imo

• Baker gets to go back to WA
  • Plays for the team he supported
  • Eagles have another year of development and new recruits making his new club better
  • Another year for eagles to move dead wood allowing more cap space
*Baker gets a nice 5 year deal from eagles making up the difference

Baker still has another 6-7 years of football and doesnt rely on speed or athletic ability
If anybody could orchestrate such a deal then you would think Matty Clarke & Liam Baker would have close ties to make it happen
With the new salary cap Baker would be getting 1million+ a year to get band 1 in 2025 . He is just not worth that .

With the new salary cap Baker would be getting 1million+ a year to get band 1 in 2025 . He is just not worth that .
Agree he’s definitely not worth that. But to look at it objectively are Liam Baker AND pick 17ish worth that given that’s around the mark that we’d be paying this year? Going by what Phil and a couple of others have said we could probably fit most of it in next year…

We really should be giving Dan Curtins manager a call right about now. Not getting a game, was absolutely miserable when they read his name out. I think he would listen and be wanting a way out even at this stage

Id be happy to give up the 2025 future 1st and bring him back
He's not getting a game because he's been injured..

We really should be giving Dan Curtins manager a call right about now. Not getting a game, was absolutely miserable when they read his name out. I think he would listen and be wanting a way out even at this stage

Would love Curtin but is unobtainable this year or next, it’s really gonna be hard to pry Curtin/Walter loose until they’re out of contract

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Noise is growing about Lukocius being gettable this year. He wants to play forward but is being shuffled around, currently back.

Crows are the obvious club and they would pay plenty to land him. OOC in 2026.

Dream position.

We finish with pick 2 or 3. Crows finish with pick 6 or 7.

We trade pick 3 and our F2nd to Crows.

For pick 6 and Curtin.

Crows land Lukocius.

We land Curtin and another top 10 mid this draft. Retain our F 1st.

Noise is growing about Lukocius being gettable this year. He wants to play forward but is being shuffled around, currently back.

Dream position.

For pick 6 and Curtin.

Crows land Lukocius.

Port is looming as the more likely destination for Lukosius, should he leave Gold Coast - which itself looks unlikely.

C.Dixon will be 34 by season's end, out of contract, and likely to retire.

Lukosius will surely be a potential replacement that is targeted by Port.

Doubt Gold Coast would be willing to entertain anything on this front however - he [Lukosius] is contracted for two more years and is living with M.Rowell who comes out of contract in 2025. Can't see the Suns doing anything that could potentially upset Rowell whilst that contract expiry is approaching.

Also why on earth would the Crom be offloading D.Curtin? They gave up their F2 for a 3 pick upgrade in order to select him just 5 months ago.

He will be very important in determining whether Adelaide will need to bottom out entirely.

It would be like West Coast trading A.Reid, except that Adelaide paid a much higher price for D.Curtin.

Dream position.

For pick 6 and Curtin.

Crows land Lukocius.

Thought the crows are trying to use their first on phillipou?

Why would we give up the world for Curtin when busslinger is OOC and pretty much the same player ?

If anything busslinger was a better intercept mark and more damaging kick as a junior

Why would we give up the world for Curtin when busslinger is OOC and pretty much the same player ?

If anything busslinger was a better intercept mark and more damaging kick as a junior
Because then you could have Curtin and Busslinger alongside Bazzo and Hough for the next decade. Try to lure Sam Taylor and the defence is set.

Also, it’s not the world. Back yourself in to make the 2025 first somewhere between 6 and 10.

Because then you could have Curtin and Busslinger alongside Bazzo and Hough for the next decade. Try to lure Sam Taylor and the defence is set.

Also, it’s not the world. Back yourself in to make the 2025 first somewhere between 6 and 10.
We are going to get all 3 of Curtin, Busslinger and Taylor at the trade table at the end of the year are we? Do we have 10 first round picks in our back pocket to offload in trades to get these guys that i didn't know about? You must be on drugs.

We are going to get all 3 of Curtin, Busslinger and Taylor at the trade table at the end of the year are we? Do we have 10 first round picks in our back pocket to offload in trades to get these guys that i didn't know about? You must be on drugs.
I assumed most people knew Taylor was FA next year, so obviously that’s when you pursue him. At which point, our defence would be set. Next time I’ll spell it out more slowly.

We really need to use this draft to address positional needs (KPD, HBF/wing) however I’m very comfortable using our resources next year to try and advance our list maturity wise. If we had pick 1 for example to use as part of a trade for a 22yo Sheldrick, Co Warner and 24yo Chad Warner I’d prefer that than getting the best 18yo mid in the draft that will take 6 years to get to Chad Warner’s level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back