List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
This is poor advice and will lead to a long extended tough rebuild. We have already attacked the rebuild with close to half the list now considered very young.

A more balanced approach to Trading, drafting and FA is now the way to move forward.

We can see from the start of the year how tough it is having several youngsters in the side at once. If our approach was to replace each delisted or retired player with a draftee it’s going to be years of misery.

I’m not saying we still don’t go to the draft, just certainly not to the extent we have of late. The better quality trades and FA we bring in balanced with quantity selections in the draft will turn things around quicker than just bringing in under 23’s.
Agreed. Carlton's experience suggested that you may never get out of the rebuild if you just stick to the draft. It was when they brought in free agents/trades like Saad, Williams and some of those B grade mids (can't remember their names off the top of my head) that they finally had the depth to get into contention.

The AFL has a massive problem with recruiting and equality. If you stick the the draft only, you only get about three picks of any value (eg 1st-3rd round).

You need to leverage FA, trades and whatever academies available to get enough talent in the door to build a team at the same time. This is where the system is stuffed:
-Vic clubs are more attractive to Vic FA as they have 8 other clubs to choose from and don't need to relocate
-Academies allow Northern clubs to recruit bulk high end talent paying with junk draft picks

SA and WA clubs are really hamstrung by this. I am amazed they haven't come together to force change.

This is poor advice and will lead to a long extended tough rebuild. We have already attacked the rebuild with close to half the list now considered very young.

A more balanced approach to Trading, drafting and FA is now the way to move forward.

We can see from the start of the year how tough it is having several youngsters in the side at once. If our approach was to replace each delisted or retired player with a draftee it’s going to be years of misery.

I’m not saying we still don’t go to the draft, just certainly not to the extent we have of late. The better quality trades and FA we bring in balanced with quantity selections in the draft will turn things around quicker than just bringing in under 23’s.
Think how young North are and don't have eough mature players and still have a long way to go.

Agreed. The compromises in the current draft system mean that we can’t rely on it as we once did in previous rebuilds.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Agreed. The compromises in the current draft system mean that we can’t rely on it as we once did in previous rebuilds.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It’s not just the compromised nature of the draft, in fact I’d say that in itself isn’t even the biggest factor. Let’s not forget one of our best ever draft happened jn 2010, one of the most compromised drafts.

it’s the fact the entire player movement landscape is radically different now to 2008-2010.

More players request trades and player movement is far greater and we also have free agency as well. It’s a different world and it’s time our club realised it and adjusted.

I wonder who of JD, Gaff, Gov, Barrass will be on our list at the start of the 2025 season, I know some might be contracted but I can imagine that each of them may consider retiring.
We definitely need to target a quality key defender, draft one or two quickly

I wonder who of JD, Gaff, Gov, Barrass will be on our list at the start of the 2025 season, I know some might be contracted but I can imagine that each of them may consider retiring.
Gov just signed a 2 year extension and Barrass has 3(?) more years.

Gaff should be done and Darling also looks cooked.

If Darling continues to decline, it will be interesting to see if he stays for his whole contract or retires a year early. He's currently contracted for next year.

Gov and Barass definitely.
JD maybe..
Gaff no chance.

Beginning of the season I had Yeo in this group but it seems like his body is holding up and there are shades of his old self getting in and amongst. I just hope he can go majority of the season without his body letting him down.

Reid, Ginbey, Chesser and Hewett will heavily rely on Yeo and Kelly in the coalface so its important he is fit and available.

Yeah I know the contracts are there, I’m just not sure they will be fulfilled.
Gov will, he got the extension for supposedly taking significant cuts during the covid years. If he stays on the park, he's still a gun.

TB will be a watch with his back but if it doesn't affect his actual playing ability, he'll see his contract out, at the very least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gov and Barass definitely.
JD maybe..
Gaff no chance.

Beginning of the season I had Yeo in this group but it seems like his body is holding up and there are shades of his old self getting in and amongst. I just hope he can go majority of the season without his body letting him down.

Reid, Ginbey, Chesser and Hewett will heavily rely on Yeo and Kelly in the coalface so its important he is fit and available.
Can see Yeo leaving tbh... he's a free agent this year and may want to finish his career at a contender.

Gov will, he got the extension for supposedly taking significant cuts during the covid years. If he stays on the park, he's still a gun.

TB will be a watch with his back but if it doesn't affect his actual playing ability, he'll see his contract out, at the very least.
I’m not so sure on either, time will tell.

Rowbottom, Florent and Perryman are 3 guys we should try and pry away in FA.

Rowbottom is the big one who I’d love.
Should have had Rowbottom if we didn’t trade down and take O’Neill instead. Landed on our original pick.

Just like we should have had Chad Warner if we held onto one of our second rounders when trading in Kelly. Landed straight after our original pick.

Should have had Rowbottom if we didn’t trade down and take O’Neill instead. Landed on our original pick.

Just like we should have had Chad Warner if we held onto one of our second rounders when trading in Kelly. Landed straight after our original pick.
Who said we'd have picked them anyway?

Still absolutely filthy on that. Bobby Hill one pick earlier too. Another example of us being the smartest in the room and botching what was initially an amazing pick trade.

So your plan is that we have our cake and eat it too. We keep our high draft picks and trade the 4th and 5th rounders for best 22 players at other clubs? Well we have already been trading out our 3rd and 4th rounders regularly and look at what we got for them - Witherden, Langdon, SPS, Flynn etc. Didn't work very well did it? Thats what you get in return for late draft picks.

We might have a lot of young players on the list now but most of them are not very good. Thats why our WAFL regularly gets beaten by 100 points. We need more high quality youth.

Your idea is just a recipe for getting out of the bottom 4 by importing middle aged list cloggers who can perform marginally better in the present moment than an 18 - 21 year old but who have no further upside left in them, it's not recipe for a sustained run at the the top 8. It took 10 years for us to dig a hole this deep, it will take 5 years of pain, low finishes & high draft picks and a bit of luck to dig our way out of it. Importing declining middle age B graders from other clubs is not a viable short cut.

So your plan is that we have our cake and eat it too. We keep our high draft picks and trade the 4th and 5th rounders for best 22 players at other clubs? Well we have already been trading out our 3rd and 4th rounders regularly and look at what we got for them - Witherden, Langdon, SPS, Flynn etc. Didn't work very well did it? Thats what you get in return for late draft picks.

We might have a lot of young players on the list now but most of them are not very good. Thats why our WAFL regularly gets beaten by 100 points. We need more high quality youth.

Your idea is just a recipe for getting out of the bottom 4 by importing middle aged list cloggers who can perform marginally better in the present moment than an 18 - 21 year old but who have no further upside left in them, it's not recipe for a sustained run at the the top 8. It took 10 years for us to dig a hole this deep, it will take 5 years of pain, low finishes & high draft picks and a bit of luck to dig our way out of it. Importing declining middle age B graders from other clubs is not a viable short cut.
Okay I’ll simplify it for you Chumptster.

FA =Free Agent= no trade required

Oh Yeah Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Trading in a player doesn’t mean you need to use a 4th or 5th rounder as you quoted. Splitting picks and future picks can all be utilised. The draft is still always important but it just one of a number of levers a club can now pull to create change within a player list.

You use Witho, SPS and Langdon as bad examples of trades but conveniently leave out successful trades such Yeo, Redden and Vardy that have all been at the club recently.

Season 8 Wow GIF by The Office

If you simply stick to the draft you continually just bring in kids that can’t compete. We have seen clubs spend decades out of the finals continuously rebuilding with kids. The Blues, Lions and Dees are examples and have taken 2 decades of continuous rebuilding to become genuine contenders, the Bombers still aren’t even there yet.

The Blues, Lions and Dees in recent times all finally broke away from just drafting kids to bring in players through other avenues to make there lists competitive. They still also use the draft.

Carlton Fc Celebration GIF by Carlton Football Club

By staying too young and inexperienced we will struggle to be competitive leading to instability in the club. This can lead to

Board room in fighting which leads to

Coaches and staff being shuffled in and out regularly of the club as campaigners such as yourself call for blood for our poor performances.

Players asking for trades as they want to experience success in there playing careers, therefore contributing to the need to then embark on yet another rebuild.

Bill Murray Well Its Groundhog Day Again GIF

I’m not sure what rock you have been hiding under but I’m like 99.9% sure that our lack of WAFL success has had zero to do with our lack of quality in the AFL playing group.
Pretty sure I’ve seen you whinging plenty of times about our injury crisis. When you have 2 AFL listed players playing with a bunch of Sunday League players, that’s the major factor that has lead to our 100 point losses.

confused schitts creek GIF by CBC

Last edited:
No quick fix here men, this rebuild won't be successful sadly we just don't have anywhere near the talent required to compete all season then go deep into the finals. Couple that with our skill level, gameplan and injury susceptibility it will be another quiet decade for the trophy cabinet...just being realistic here not hating this proud club.

Geez talk about negativity.

The club is proud. Its also very successful, has a massive supporter base, modern facilities and cash its not allowed to spend without copping a "success tax".

If it takes us 10 years how long will it take other ckubs when Tassie sucks up 70% of the top end talent? How will other rebuilding teams fair?

Its our turn to rebuild. It will be other teams turn as well soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back