List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
Before we go overboard, Pies list management have been very blessed with NGA and father sons. I respect Derek Hines but Quaynor and 2 x Daicos matching with points is a big leg up.

I think they do very well in adding pieces they need as well as identifying recycled players for roles. Hill, Franklin, Mihochek, Johnson to name a few.

They also get to play mostly at the G with minimal travel (18 Melbourne games) as all the Vic clubs ask for them as visitors because it helps with equalisation - Norf, Saints, Dogs, Dees would be in worse $$$ position if the Pies were to travel. When was the last time Collingwood played in Tassie? I digress - they usually have a shorter injury list. Plus their stand alone VFL team is working for them.

Before we go overboard, Pies list management have been very blessed with NGA and father sons. I respect Derek Hines but Quaynor and 2 x Daicos matching with points is a big leg up.

I think they do very well in adding pieces they need as well as identifying recycled players for roles. Hill, Franklin, Mihochek, Johnson to name a few.

They also get to play mostly at the G with minimal travel (18 Melbourne games) as all the Vic clubs ask for them as visitors because it helps with equalisation - Norf, Saints, Dogs, Dees would be in worse $$$ position if the Pies were to travel. When was the last time Collingwood played in Tassie? I digress - they usually have a shorter injury list. Plus their stand alone VFL team is working for them.
They also don't have half their team cos-playing a WW2 casualty ward for the past few seasons.

If Shuey plays the rest of the season :praying: (10 in a row with a bye), and impacts how we know he can/does, is it enough to convince those who want him to retire to play on next year?
I Dont Think So No Way GIF by FTX_Official

If Shuey plays the rest of the season :praying: (10 in a row with a bye), and impacts how we know he can/does, is it enough to convince those who want him to retire to play on next year?

Nope. S&C and aging player availability are our two biggest issues. We can't get any team continuity and cohesion because the best 22 is a revolving door.

Love Shuey, but this has got to be it for him. Hand the keys over, move off field into a development role. He's got plenty to teach.

Last edited:
The issue for me isn't Nic's medical treatment and the fact they are opting for surgery now rather than earlier, that seems reasonable enough given its an Achilles. The issue is they signed him for two years when one would have been smart, especially as they knew he had been battling this for a long time on top of his multiple other leg issues and had missed so much footy before signing or, when playing, been playing in far from peak condition.

It was a totally idiotic decision. Whether it would have made any difference to our plight now, I doubt it. But the compounding effect of all of these bad decisions is that we are where we are (with a lot of bad luck thrown in).

Nic needs to retire or be retired. We should generally only be offering 1 year deals to older players, especially those who have had trouble staying on the park, knowing that no other team is chasing them and if they do, good luck to them. We need to be giving ourselves the best shot at finding talent and that means we need to be turning over players (especially non-talls) with years in the team who are not at the required level. Sure, what we pick up may be no better, but they generally aren't going to be any worse and we have a chance of finding some gems. Whilst I doubt a second MSD pick would have resulted in a gem, if we don't try, we don't know. It was a free swing and we lose nothing, even if 6 months isn't really long enough to assess the player. It is a 6 month job interview/assessment vs a player injured contributing nothing. Not going to lose sleep over the MSD but again, one thing on top of another.

Continually (until recently) passing over more credentialed mids for speculative players with mid potential (often who have been injured). Again, in isolation, most picks are fine but the compounding effect is too many haven't paid off. Taking the piss with the rookie draft in the past and having to move contracted players onto the rookie list because they never should have been given such long contract extensions in the first place, rather than taking the picks etc. Several year contract extensions to players like O'Neill, when one year deals would make more sense as no one was chasing. It's a shit show of late.

Nope. S&C and aging player availability are our two biggest issues. We can't get any team continuity and cohesion because the best 22 is a resolving door.

Love Shuey, but this has got to be it for him. Hand the keys over, move off field into a development role. He's got plenty to teach.
Agreed.

More to offer off-field for me. Still a gun at his best but body's too unreliable.

Gov, Sheed, TK, Yeo, Barrass & Cripps is more than enough senior experience on each line.

I think the only way he can possibly go on is if he plays the rest of the year uninjured and there are some forced retirements of Naitanui and Gaff. He would obviously be stripped of the captaincy. Even after all that I dont think he should. His body is too unreliable.

He is a PerthNow subscriber seller only.

His membership selling days are long gone

And the chances of him being fit again are somewhere between buckleys and none and probably less than that..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man, I am sick to ******* death of a week's worth of sooking because we didn't free up a spot to select someone in the second round of a rookie draft.

The sky isn't falling.
It might sounds strange, but I would have preferred us to free up a second spot and not necessarily even take a 2nd pick... At least then we would have looked like we had our eye on a few players and if one slipped we were ready to go. The way it's played out with Burgiel and NicNat means we could have had 3 spots available despite the club's narrative that "There must be a genuine season-ending injury before a player can be placed on the inactive list and Culley, is the only player who meets the criteria."

It does with me. We still need some seniority around. I don't think NN will be back, Bung will go too.

The lads love him... If he lasts that long, keep him in that role. (I like him as the spitter)

Boots playing 12 is better than Gaff playing all

The NN news has me questioning the club's sense of urgency.

It may only be a 1%er. A minute chance at finding a gold nugget in the talent pool. But when you are at rock bottom and have nothing to lose, why not?

Give the fans some sense that you are doing absolutely everything to right the ship. Investigating every possible opportunity.

All this has done is give us a sense of feet up on the desk time.

It’s also an extra player to allow us to rest a youngster at some stage.

If they turn out great, if not it could still have been a valuable contribution in 2023.

Has to be a salary cap issue, as any semblance of common sense would say we are/were in the position that taking a ‘just in case’ player was more mandatory than choice.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I only recall tears for 2 players.. Matera and Jakovich the goal celebration of Jako in his retirement video on the screen when in celebration he pumped his fists into Daniel Chics balls
Same for Pete Matera, so many legends finished up around then, Bluey was another I missed.
Judd was never going to stay, I think most knew that.
As another poster said, would've been great to see Nata put it down Boots throat(sex life!), Boots slots a running goal!

Another thing I REALLY want us to stop now that we're rebuilding is, trying to shoehorn players into positions they're not suited to, fair enough try something different if they're not getting it together after a season or whatever but give them a good run at it first.

Allen to the backline! Why not?

Another thing I REALLY want us to stop now that we're rebuilding is, trying to shoehorn players into positions they're not suited to, fair enough try something different if they're not getting it together after a season or whatever but give them a good run at it first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back