Health Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure people smarter than us are looking at the stats and models and advising the government appropriately. It's a delicate balance but in the end the priority is avoidable deaths.

The government needs to strike a balance between saving the economy and saving lives. At the moment they are too far to one side (particularly in Victoria which seems to have been turned into some kind of police state).

I'm willing to give it another week or two but we need to have some conversations about the vaule of the lockdown and the long term plan. The vaccine is a "nice to have". Not a must have.

Well I wouldn't be happy expecting health workers to put their lives and their families lives at a much higher risk than needs to be.

What do you do for a job?

I work in the mining sector so i am actually untouched at the moment. My concern is the amount of sacrifice other people are incurring for no reason. The politicians are still pulling their full take but they are putting millions out of work for no real benefit.

I work in the mining sector so i am actually untouched at the moment. My concern is the amount of sacrifice other people are incurring for no reason. The politicians are still pulling their full take but they are putting millions out of work for no real benefit.

The modelling suggested that a quarter of a million Australians would die if it was business as usual. That's a real benefit. I'm happy to sacrifice my social life and my job for that. It will eventually end, just sit tight.

The modelling suggested that a quarter of a million Australians would die if it was business as usual. That's a real benefit. I'm happy to sacrifice my social life and my job for that. It will eventually end, just sit tight.

The modelling is bullshit, though. Posters ITT know what's really going on. :cool:

But you're willing to sacrifice health care workers to implement your plan?

Seems fair...

I have friends who live in Shanghai.
Although China was hard hit at the beginning, Shanghai was relatively unscathed. I think less than 1000 cases. Nevertheless Shanghai has been a ghost town and on virtual lockdown since start of February... Until now. Based on Instagram stories, WeChat etc it looks almost like everything is open now. Gyms, Pubs, Restaurants, Bars etc all have people in them. Kind of amazing to see really.

If we keep flattening the curve, and I'm aware it can collapse faster than an Australian middle order with the Marsh brothers in it, but we might be able to get back to 'semi' normal in 3 months. It took Shanghai two, but with proper Draconian measures and social security, face recognition technology etc in place. I'm sure there are still restrictions in Shanghai, as there will be here.

Although China was hard hit at the beginning, Shanghai was relatively unscathed. I think less than 1000 cases. Nevertheless Shanghai has been a ghost town and on virtual lockdown since start of February... Until now. Based on Instagram stories, WeChat etc it looks almost like everything is open now. Gyms, Pubs, Restaurants, Bars etc all have people in them. Kind of amazing to see really.

If we keep flattening the curve, and I'm aware it can collapse faster than an Australian middle order with the Marsh brothers in it, but we might be able to get back to 'semi' normal in 3 months. I'm sure there are still restrictions in Shanghai, as there will be here.
My neighbour is from Shanghai. Says his family is completely back to normal.

If we keep flattening the curve, and I'm aware it can collapse faster than an Australian middle order with the Marsh brothers in it, but we might be able to get back to 'semi' normal in 3 months. It took Shanghai two, but with proper Draconian measures and social security, face recognition technology etc in place. I'm sure there are still restrictions in Shanghai, as there will be here.

Too soon.

Yep a guy I know over there said the exact same thing

Spoke to him in Jan and he was saying s**t was locked down in Jan and I was like * this must be bad

Said a few days back everything was running back to normal, although there taking temperatures at shopping centers and restaurants and there is still no sport there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we were never going to go "business as usual" but we shouldn't be doing this full nazi-germany style lockdown.

Some community transition is actually necessary if we are going to come out of this any side of 2022. We can't "sit tight" for 2 years. We will literally run out of money and the entire australian economy will be toast.

Spoke to him in Jan and he was saying s**t was locked down in Jan and I was like fu** this must be bad

Said a few days back everything was running back to normal, although there taking temperatures at shopping centers and restaurants and there is still no sport there

Don't think we're going to have any events with crowds until 2021 unfortunately. Just far too easy for one asymptomatic carrier to infect an inexplicable number in one shot. I am hopeful AFL will resume later this year though.

The modelling is bullshit, though. Posters ITT know what's really going on. :cool:

the modelling is not bullshit but having a completely unconstrained spread is also totally unrealistic just like a full lockdown is actually not going to achieve the herd immunity we need.

We need to know the detail around the value, for example, of shutting restaurants - when we know we need to actually spread this in a controllable way.

Spoke to him in Jan and he was saying s**t was locked down in Jan and I was like fu** this must be bad

Crazy. The average Joe blow in Australia knows about a serious virus spreading through China in Jan, but Trump mid Feb says it's nothing.🤔

But you're willing to sacrifice health care workers to implement your plan?

Seems fair...

health care workers will have to deal with COVID patients regardless. We need to be setup so they can deal with them a sustained and controllable way. That is the ONLY way we can be sure we will get through this. We dont' want the hospitals to be overwhelmed but they will need to deal with this.

we were never going to go "business as usual" but we shouldn't be doing this full nazi-germany style lockdown.

Some community transition is actually necessary if we are going to come out of this any side of 2022. We can't "sit tight" for 2 years. We will literally run out of money and the entire australian economy will be toast.

Our lockdown is relatively tame compared to others being hit harder by COVID-19 - nowhere near a fascist dictatorship.

I agree we cannot 'sit tight' for two years as not even the most robust economy can survive that, but at the moment we still have an actual bare bones economy without having to resort to Italian-style lockdowns as we manage the spread. Could be a lot lot worse in terms of fatality and ICU rates from COVID-19 or having no economy at all.

Gee that seems way over the top, Victoria seem to be taking this almost too seriously. Should’ve just hidden in the wardrobe!

Why do cops have to fine people? just give them a warning the moment a cop arrives at the front door those people will go back home quick smart.

Don't think we're going to have any events with crowds until 2021 unfortunately. Just far too easy for one asymptomatic carrier to infect an inexplicable number in one shot. I am hopeful AFL will resume later this year though.
100% until a vaccine I agree

But there not even playing without crowds

Chinese basketball was supposed to be back this week and it’s been put on hold until May

Thought that was interesting given everyone over there says things back to normal

The rule is no gathering of more than 2 people, with exceptions being made if they are from the same household. There were 3 people from 3 different households. You could argue maybe should have copped a warning and moved on for something fairly trivial but they are in breach of guidelines.
It should absolutely be a warning, the fines should only be reserved for those who have been given a warning and breach a 2nd time (which is what they seem to be doing in NSW).

Our lockdown is relatively tame compared to others being hit harder by COVID-19.

I agree we cannot 'sit tight' for two years as not even the most robust econony can survive that, but at the moment we still have one without having to resort to Italian-style lockdowns as we manage the spread.

Victoria is as locked down as Italy. Their lockdown is totally disproportionate for the level of risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back