Could Carey have been the GOAT CHB/FB?

Remove this Banner Ad

Senior List
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Saw the photo of Carey/Ablett/Dunstall/Lockett and a comment about Carey being the best of the lot due to how many ways he could turn a game - he could be thrown into the backline or in midfield and dominate. Pagan used to throw Carey into the backline when North needed his influence down there, and I didn't ever see Carey lose a contest. We all remember the 99 grand final when Carey collected 8 or so class touches in the space of 15 minutes in the midfield.

My question - if Carey had been a permanent key position defender, how would he have ranked with the all-time great defenders?
Bonus question - how would Carey have ranked if he was a permanent midfielder?

Saw the photo of Carey/Ablett/Dunstall/Lockett and a comment about Carey being the best of the lot due to how many ways he could turn a game - he could be thrown into the backline or in midfield and dominate. Pagan used to throw Carey into the backline when North needed his influence down there, and I didn't ever see Carey lose a contest. We all remember the 99 grand final when Carey collected 8 or so class touches in the space of 15 minutes in the midfield.

My question - if Carey had been a permanent key position defender, how would he have ranked with the all-time great defenders?
Bonus question - how would Carey have ranked if he was a permanent midfielder?

It’s harder to mark the ball then spoil it. You don’t waste players like Carey at CHB. Sure give him a stint back there to stop the bleeding or shut the game down.

How would he go as a mid? Considering the amount of possessions he got as a CHF he’d probably still be the GOAT

It’s harder to mark the ball then spoil it. You don’t waste players like Carey at CHB. Sure give him a stint back there to stop the bleeding or shut the game down.
Yep, it's much more difficult to make the play than to stop the play - even more so back in the day when free kicks were harder to come by for forwards. So if he was one of the greatest key forwards of all time you would suspect he would've had a similar impact down back.

Of course this would've been a total waste of his talent and probably cost us silverware, but it's a valid thought to go through your head 20 years later while a pandemic is sweeping the world.

Yep, it's much more difficult to make the play than to stop the play - even more so back in the day when free kicks were harder to come by for forwards. So if he was one of the greatest key forwards of all time you would suspect he would've had a similar impact down back.

Of course this would've been a total waste of his talent and probably cost us silverware, but it's a valid thought to go through your head 20 years later while a pandemic is sweeping the world.

It drives me crazy when I hear defender X kept Carey quiet. Oh yeah? How would they go if the roles were reversed? Carey would’ve intercepted a lot and probably kicked a couple from CHB

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because he wouldn’t have been prepared to sacrifice his ego to be a backman

It was lights action Wayne and that’s wat made him great as a forward

His physical attributes had nothing to do with forward or back

Like Dermie, it was between the ears

Completely agree that Carey's maximum potential played out as a CHF - the most important position in the game. Agree that Carey's ego would not allow him to be too removed from being the one that kicked the match winning goals. But, it's absolutely fascinating to me that Carey could have been an extraordinary defender or midfielder.

With Carey's attacking flair and arrogance, I could totally see him as a rich man's Rance who would dominate 1-on-1s, be the best intercept mark, and launch attack from the backline. Would kick a few too when Pagan would swing him forward when North needed.

As a permanent midfielder, Carey would be like a more powerful Bont or Kouta with more class/skill. Would be an insane match up problem especially if he went forward. I think he would have had the tank to play in the middle - I could see him moving across the ground like Goodes did. Man I feel bad for the mids getting tackled by Carey over and over again..

If CHF Carey was a perfect 10/10, then midfielder Carey would have been 9.5/10, backman Carey a 9/10. What a player.

Completely agree that Carey's maximum potential played out as a CHF - the most important position in the game. Agree that Carey's ego would not allow him to be too removed from being the one that kicked the match winning goals. But, it's absolutely fascinating to me that Carey could have been an extraordinary defender or midfielder.

With Carey's attacking flair and arrogance, I could totally see him as a rich man's Rance who would dominate 1-on-1s, be the best intercept mark, and launch attack from the backline. Would kick a few too when Pagan would swing him forward when North needed.

As a permanent midfielder, Carey would be like a more powerful Bont or Kouta with more class/skill. Would be an insane match up problem especially if he went forward. I think he would have had the tank to play in the middle - I could see him moving across the ground like Goodes did. Man I feel bad for the mids getting tackled by Carey over and over again..

If CHF Carey was a perfect 10/10, then midfielder Carey would have been 9.5/10, backman Carey a 9/10. What a player.

You nailed it.

Played plenty of games at CHB at under 19 level.

Was a gun back there, a weapon

That team was not short on KPP talent, Lissenden, Lumsden, Christie, playing as the key forwards...but everyone knew that Duck would be special

I have no doubt he would have become a brilliant defender, for the purpose of this exercise

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Please do not mention The King and “Rance” in the same sentence. That’s like comparing Grace Kelly to The Wicked Witch of The West.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back