Dayne beams officially requests trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Many of them can't even pay their bills, they have to get their managers to do it

The clubs have improved the focus of post footy development greatly, but reality is a lot of footballers have been and will always be likely to end up with an unskilled job, a goon bag, and a child support bill for their kid called "Jhaiysen"

The ones like that would be like that regardless of whether they played AFL or not. It's called being a dumb s**t.

Lions vs Suns battle to the death for the services of one Dayne Beams... i recommend a trident as seen on Anchorman :D

I wonder if this could be another sign of Nathan Buckley's man mis-management. He's losing a lot of the 2010-2011 brigade, now including a really good player in Beams.

Old man has been given not long to live and some how Buckley did it? #notsureifserious.

Melbourne give: Mitch Clark, 2OVR, 4th rounder
Collingwood give: Heretier Lumumba, Dayne Beams
Gold Coast give: Dion Prestia, 3rd rounder

Melbourne receive: Dion Prestia, Heretier Lumumba
Collingwood receive: 2OVR, 3rd rounder, 4th rounder, Mitch Clark
Gold Coast receive: Dayne Beams

What is this mystical 2OVR you speak of is it like R2D2?

If that were really the case he should be seeking compassionate leave rather than abandoning the sinking ship known as Collingwood.
qldmagpie67 said:
Ok folks time for a reality check.

Firstly I am stunned by the absolute panning some posters are giving Dayne. This is no con job to drive his price up or take a very lucrative offer from another club. This is a young man who lives away from a father who he is extremely close to and finding out that his fathers health is now in a dire place. I challenge anyone on here to not do something similar if they had the chance to be close to a parent who is facing the same situation.
I am disgusted by some of these comments and those who have posted them should really take a deep breathe and realize some things in life are bigger than football.
Let me put the facts together for you all which I have garnered by speaking to some mutual friends last night.
His dad has been sick for some time (all his mates have known that) but no one not even Dayne knew the extent of his illness until very recently.
His father had choosen to keep the gravity of his illness from his kids (and mates)
Recently the diagnosis became a lot worse than he first expected and thus the circumstances changed drastically.
Dayne's mother actually flew to Melbourne to deliver Dayne the news in person and to be there for him.
Now I haven't been able to speak to his dad by phone ( I am planning on going to the gold coast this weekend to see him in person now I have found out more)

Dayne found out the gravity of the situation last week and firstly rang Eddie to tell him. I am told Eddie told him to take some time and get his head together and get back to the club when he has been through everything that has happened. Apparently Dayne rang Eddie within an hour of finding out the news.
Dayne has fulfilled his obligations to the club in attending the Brownlow and has been working with his mother, brother and sister on what they feel is in the best interests of there father and his family (remembering his father has been divorced from his mother for nearly 20yrs)
Dayne is extremely close to his father and it was his father who was a fair country player himself that developed Dayne's love of the game and the basic skills.
Now I've been informed Dayne has been absolutely gutted by the turn of events and is torn between being there for his father and having to make a decision to leave a club who has been great to him since his career began.
Dayne and his family have been weighing up all there options after getting a full understanding of the situation his father is facing and he has been trying to make a decision.
A couple days ago Dayne met Eddie, Pert and Bucks privately (withoutnhis management just with his mother) to update them on the situation.
Eddie has been fantastic to Dayne and his family since Dayne arrived and again has with this new situation. Now this is a kid torn between the love of his father and the love of his club.
I am told his father isn't willing to relocate to Melbourne to continue his treatment as he wants to be close to his mates (plus he would be leaving Claye so it would be trading one son for another) so it has limited the options available to Dayne.
At 10pm last night I spoke to a mutual mate of ours who happens to be the father of one of Dayne's best mates and he said Dayne had been in contact with them and said the club is working on ways to make it easy for him to be able get home weekly or more often if required as a possible solution to Dayne's dilemma.
My understanding is Eddie again has been fantastic and basically told Dayne his father is the most important factor is this and the club would do everything in its capabilities to assist Dayne through this.
Now Dayne and the club are working together to see if they can find a way of Dayne staying in Melbourne and being a magpie but also him being able to spend time with his father who currently isn't sure of how much time he has left.
Tough choices need to be made from both sides of the fence. I can understand the club wanting to be fairly compensated for a elite player that's the business they are in and rightly so. I can also very much understand Dayne's side as well knowing him and his family for nearly 20yrs it's a absolute shocking situation for them to be in.
Everyone can debate what is a fair compensation for Dayne IF he leaves (and this is far from decided yet give Eddie a chance to work his magic here folks. If there is one thing our president can do is work magic) before we start making outlandish statements about a player who has given a lot to the club in his time here.
If anyone out there is stupid enough to believe this is a decision about $$ then they are so far removed from the facts it's unbelievable. If this was a financial decision Dayne could have lined his pockets at the end of 2012 and taken a lot more $$ gone to the Suns then but he decided to stay with the club on less (and I'm told it was a lot less as well over $100-$150k a season) so its not the money guys. He knows full well if he stayed at collingwood he would be rewarded financially as well.
Going forward lets all take a deep breathe and let Dayne and the club try to sort through this situation.

Omeara to West Coast
Gaff, 1st rounder to Collingwood
Beams to Gold Coast

um-no-gif1.gif

It always comes down to circumstance. At the time they were going nowhere so had cap space and draft order leverage. Finishing near the bottom they had picks 6, 28 and 33. Had they finished in the finals I reckon the same trade would've been done for their first pick (20ish). You win some you lose some. Likewise if Brisbane had pick 1 it would be on the table for Beams. They don't, so no point worrying about it.

Point being a 2nd rounder is fair value for a young fringe player, if that is low 20 or high 20 depends on circumstance.

ItI reckon last year Brisbane fans would've been happy with pick 7 + Longer (8) or Polec (5) or Docherty (12). Different scenario obviously with those guys being out of contract and wanting to leave and Aish, Mayes etc. not, but those former high picks didn't show that much.

Polec played 16 in 3 years and couldn't get on the park, Longer 9 in two years, Docherty 13 in two. They didn't want to lose any, but didn't get anywhere near what they paid in draft picks for them in return - nor were they ever likely to. Aish and Mayes on the other hand are top picks that have slotted straight into senior footy and look like gems. 21 games from Aish in his first year and 39 from Mayes in his first two. Both polled in the Rising Star voting with Aish coming 4th this year. They're not known quantities yet, but a lot closer to it than equivalent picks in the 2015 draft.
Beams is worth a top 10 pick and equivalent in a highly rated youngster with some form.

In 2013 at Brisbane it could have been pick 7 and Polec (former pick 5) or Longer (pick 8).

Point being a 2nd rounder is fair value for a young fringe player, if that is low 20 or high 20 depends on circumstance.

Beams is worth a top 10 pick and equivalent in a highly rated youngster with some form.

In 2013 at Brisbane it could have been pick 7 and Polec (former pick 5) or Longer (pick 8).

So your basis for a highly rated youngster is that the player has to be picked in the top 10-15 picks?

What bullocks. At the time, Polec was battling injuries and couldn't get any continuity to his game. Pretty sure most Collingwood fans would have said "He's riddled with injuries and can't get a game at Brisbane, what would we do with him rofl lmao", if it weren't for his season at Port.

Longer is a ruck, we would have been met with claims of "We've already got Grundy who's a far superior ruck, why would we want a hack lololol."

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but don't let the draft positions at which players were picked fool you.

Should also point out we didnt try and block any of our 5 players going home, I know Yeo had family medical reasons as well, for Collingwood to try and stop Beams from returning to a place where he can play and be close to his father would be poor form.

They wont block him from going to QLD, they will block him if he tries to hold us over a barrel by nominating ONLY Brisbane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beams is a one time AA player, how do we know if he'll ever make that 2? We don't, but what we know that Aish's figures mirror Beams first season incredibly well, Mayes is a gun talent. Brisbane are 2-3 years away from being a finals side so why would we pay clear overs for Beams when in 3 years Aish and Mayes could well be knocking on the door of AA. We're all looking into various crystal balls and no-one actually knows what we are seeing.

Collingwood fans seem to think that clubs are willing to do some crazy trades for players, the things I'm seeing are on a par with the Judd trade to Carlton and Beams is not near Judd of 2007, Judd was then one of the top 3 players in the league, Beams whilst a quality player sits somewhere around 15-25, definitely not top 10 even.

Statistically and impact wise he is a top 10 player even out did Pendles.

So your basis for a highly rated youngster is that the player has to be picked in the top 10-15 picks?

What bullocks. At the time, Polec was battling injuries and couldn't get any continuity to his game. Pretty sure most Collingwood fans would have said "He's riddled with injuries and can't get a game at Brisbane, what would we do with him rofl lmao", if it weren't for his season at Port.

Longer is a ruck, we would have been met with claims of "We've already got Grundy who's a far superior ruck, why would we want a hack lololol."

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but don't let the draft positions at which players were picked fool you.
No it is simply trying to equate what a highly rated youngster is worth in terms of draft picks.

Picks really don't mean much...no guarantee that a pick 4 will be a gun. And no guarantee that a kid who plays well in first couple of years will ever actually continually develop into an elite midfielder.

Beams is a gun who did develop into an elite midfielder, his value is at least two top picks or a pick and a highly rated youngster.

Brisbane fans seem to think pick 4 and Aish is overs, because Aish was pick 7 last year.

But would have been happy to offload pick 7 and Polec last year...ie his actual worth.

Oh I agree, it's definitely worth 'it' as you put it. That post was simply in response to names like Aish and Mayes being thrown around.

I think a suitable trade if Merrett were involved would be:
Brisbane: First round pick, Daniel Merrett, third round pick
Collingwood: Dayne Beams, third round pick

Maybe an exchange of second round picks instead of third.

Why the hell do people keep putting up players COLLINGWOOD have no need or want for as part of this trade.

We have a heap of KPD and we also have 2 very good young rucks who need games.

Leunberger and Merrett will not be part of the deal unless it is an on trade involving another team.

And an out of contract Judd.

Important point.

Judd was going to a state with potentially up to 10 suitors.

Was also the pre free agency era. The player movement culture has changed a lot in the last few years.

Oh, and Beams is a star, but Judd was the LeBron of the AFL at the time of that trade.

And an out of contract Judd.

Important point.

And they were dealing with a club that had the first pick in the PSD.
Different situations.
Richmond had the first pick in the PSD after winning the spoon. We had pick one due to the PP rules and winning less than five games in successive seasons. Think they forced us to add pick 20 to the trade with 46 coming our way.

Don't make me dig up parrot's David Gourdis v Darren Pfeiffer poll to prove it...

Bet Carlton would gladly give up pick 1 now and keep JK.
Nope. Kreuzer is one of our untouchables. Don't know the bloke. Been a huge loss for Carlton this year. Has overcome a lot of set backs and smashed Goldstein last year to get us a vital win. A win that ultimately pushed us past North and into the finals.

Different to Kennedy and Masten who have won a spoon since they traded Judd.

Everyone wants to play for Collingwood for one simple reason: They almost always get to go out on Saturday night and have a good old gurn, the Pies almost never play on Sunday

You're full of s**t.

Played 6 Sunday games, 1 monday, 1 thursday, 6 Friday night and 8 Sat day/night.

Brisbane fans seem to think pick 4 and Aish is overs, because Aish was pick 7 last year.

Aish would most likely go much higher than that if he was in this year's draft.

I think pick 4 and Aish is overs, mostly because I believe we don't need to pay that much.

We need to stop talking about 'fair' trades. No club is interested in a fair trade. They're interested in making the most of the circumstances in which they find themselves.

So a lot of what Collingwood are prepared to trade depends on what they think the possibility is of hanging onto Dayne Beams in the long term.

You're full of s**t.

Played 6 Sunday games, 1 monday, 1 thursday, 6 Friday night and 8 Sat day/night.

6 is * all. We played ten. That means Jack Watts can only go out and get smashed on pingers 13 weeks during the season, while Swanny can get on the crackies for 17 weeks. Unfair.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back