Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - Now Starts A Long Offseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I would put Selwood on the table. I know this is never going to happen but you asked for an example and that's what I'd do. Even with out the extra first round pick or trade I still think going for Pickett/Gartlett with our first would be beneficial and go best available second round (ideally a mid) and waterman third. Would be a very strong draft for us.
Also what are people's thoughts on going for Griffen from WB? Would help us immeasurably and is a free agent.
Garletts a chance to go at our 2nd round pick. We can't afford to stuff this pick up, I'd stay away from Pickett

Should be shopped around -

Selwood - Can't stress this enough. He'd have to be in contention to be the most expendable player on our list
Schofield - Will be pushed out again next year if we have a healthy list.
Priddis - I know it's unlikely, but he's 30 ffs and has fans from other clubs 'apparently'
Lecras - Is a star but he would fetch a pretty price and he's playing 2nd fiddle these days to all our other forwards, so i think we'd recover.
Shopping around never actually happens anymore though. In which cases recently have teams proactively offered up best 22 players in the hope of obtaining a certain player/pick?

A trade is almost always proactively driven by a homesick/disgruntled player.

Rebecca+Twigley+2010+Brownlow+Medal+MOV863H0RCvl.jpg

I was waiting for that ;)
Juddy was always a good to move back to Victoria though, I can't see any reason why Griffen would leave the Dogs to head west.

I'll get shot down, but we should go after Garlett from Carlton +/- Robinson. Both are dirt cheap. At worst you delist after one year and don't lose a player in a trade. Robinson becomes the hard inside mid who can go forwardd, Garlett is the quick crumbing forward we've been trying to draft for 5 years. Would cost 4th rounder at most for each. Then we still get to roll the dice on our first 3 picks.

A couple of quick fixes and we could rocket right up to top 4 again.

I know they are d$#K heads but half the AFL players are.

Not saying Wilson will make it, but "tweeners" are clearly used at most clubs. Sutcliffe, Duffield at Freo are not over blessed with pace and Duffield in particular provides the release for Freo by heading into space and getting a lot of uncontested possession. Wilson may lack the footy smarts to find this space at the right time, but if he does develop this skill his kicking would make him useful.

I am thinking he won't be delisted just yet.
His kicking is fantastic most of the time, but as a defender you have to be able to keep up with the flankers or out-mark/spoil a key position forward, Wilson can do neither and he certainly isn't quick enough to be the free man in defense when we play with one.
He will be delisted.

I'll get shot down, but we should go after Garlett from Carlton +/- Robinson. Both are dirt cheap. At worst you delist after one year and don't lose a player in a trade. Robinson becomes the hard inside mid who can go forwardd, Garlett is the quick crumbing forward we've been trying to draft for 5 years. Would cost 4th rounder at most for each. Then we still get to roll the dice on our first 3 picks.

A couple of quick fixes and we could rocket right up to top 4 again.

I know they are d$#K heads but half the AFL players are.
I could see garlett on the rookie list but Robinson is a waste of a list spot .

Selwood - Can't stress this enough. He'd have to be in contention to be the most expendable player on our list
Priddis - I know it's unlikely, but he's 30 ffs and has fans from other clubs 'apparently'
Lecras - Is a star but he would fetch a pretty price and he's playing 2nd fiddle these days to all our other forwards, so i think we'd recover.

Selwood - Won our best and fairest the last time he was fully healthy.
Schofield - I think he has cemented his spot for now.
Priddis - I'd be okay with moving him on but won't happen for at least 12 months.
LeCras - Had a strong finish to the year and is still kicking goals.

I don't see one single positive bringing a meatball like Robinson into the team whatsoever.

Garlett on the other hand, i could give a chance. If it was cheap.

Not sure how you can call one a meathead and not the other when Garlett was actually charged and Robinson wasn't.

What's your end game with all this Dark Sharks? What is it you want to achieve & how will trading the above get you there?

I would love to see selwood traded ,
Personally I would put Selwood on the table. I know this is never going to happen but you asked for an example and that's what I'd do. Even with out the extra first round pick or trade I still think going for Pickett/Gartlett with our first would be beneficial and go best available second round (ideally a mid) and waterman third. Would be a very strong draft for us.
Also what are people's thoughts on going for Griffen from WB? Would help us immeasurably and is a free agent.
Absolutely 100% agree .. Putting Selwood up for trade makes sense

Selwood - Won our best and fairest the last time he was fully healthy.
Schofield - I think he has cemented his spot for now.
Priddis - I'd be okay with moving him on but won't happen for at least 12 months.
LeCras - Had a strong finish to the year and is still kicking goals.

Not sure how you can call one a meathead and not the other when Garlett was actually charged and Robinson wasn't.

Selwood - That was 2 seasons ago. We've barely missed him this year. Has poor footskills, poor overhead, and absolutely zero composure whatsoever
Schofield - Like i said... that will change next year with a healthy list.
Priddis - I doubt it will happen at all, but he'll be 31 at the end of next year and his value will drop considerably.
Lecras - Did i say he wasn't? Or that he's a bad player? You have to trade something to get something. Lecras is a cherry on top, not a vital cog.

As for Robbo and Garlett. I'm referring to the players in general, not just 1 incident. Robbo is suspended every handful of games he plays, couldn't hit a barn door by foot and generally has a low football IQ. Garlett is lazy, undisciplined, but actually possesses skill in an area we're lacking.

What's your end game with all this Dark Sharks? What is it you want to achieve & how will trading the above get you there?

A better position in the draft ideally. Addressing our glaring needs by making a play to snare someone like Laverde. In 3 years or so, the clock will start ticking on our very strong spine, so we'd want to be pushing hard for a flag by that period. Lecras should obviously be worth the most, and would be the most regrettable trade.

I would keep schofield . He is big has genuine pace, breaks lines takes game on and is only gonna get better now he gets more games with glass retirement

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selwood - That was 2 seasons ago. We've barely missed him this year. Has poor footskills, poor overhead, and absolutely zero composure whatsoever
Priddis - I doubt it will happen at all, but he'll be 31 at the end of next year and his value will drop considerably.
Lecras - Did i say he wasn't? Or that he's a bad player? You have to trade something to get something. Lecras is a cherry on top, not a vital cog.

As for Robbo and Garlett. I'm referring to the players in general, not just 1 incident. Robbo is suspended every handful of games he plays, couldn't hit a barn door by foot and generally has a low football IQ. Garlett is lazy, undisciplined, but actually possesses skill in an area we're lacking.

A better position in the draft ideally. Addressing our glaring needs by making a play to snare someone like Laverde. In 3 years or so, the clock will start ticking on our very strong spine, so we'd want to be pushing hard for a flag by that period. Lecras should obviously be worth the most, and would be the most regrettable trade.

Whilst I understand forums like this are means for supporters to vent and to discuss strategies on how to improve team lists, I must say I get surprised at the number of strange almost silly suggestions that are made. Everyone is entitled to an opinion & I totally accept that but many should think as to what they are trying to achieve in the things they suggest.

The single driving factor for you seems to be getting a pick to select Laverde as though he's the answer to all WC's prayers & I would like to suggest that he quite seriously is unlikely to be. He has some positive attributes but if he was as good as what you are intimating then you'd need better than pick 5-9 which is where he's likely to go.

No club is going to trade out players of the ilk of Selwood, Priddis or LeCras for a chance to select a player of Laverde's ability. If you were talking about a key position player like a Patton or a Boyd then quite possibly but not such a midfielder. Clubs (& not just WC) just don't operate like that.

The biggest problem for many supporters is that they (like the club itself) can see where a problem exists but unlike the club who can see the whole story, they believe the answer is as simple as moving a few out and drafting the next coming of Jesus (whom for many is judged after watching 15 mins of highlights)and then all will be well. Doesn't work like this.

One of the most backwards posts I've seen for a while. You say the time is ticking with our spine, but reckon we should trade out some of our best 22 players for draft picks to "hopefully" draft a couple of "future" guns who will take years to become important players to go with our current spine.??

I think nearly everyone on here over rate draft picks. I understand, yes its where you get the A graders, but it's still a lottery. A high draft pick doesn't guarantee a "future" A grader, let alone one for the next year. It's a real lottery especially after the top 10, and teams don't give those away.

I think nearly everyone on here over rate draft picks. I understand, yes its where you get the A graders, but it's still a lottery. A high draft pick doesn't guarantee a "future" A grader, let alone one for the next year. It's a real lottery especially after the top 10, and teams don't give those away.
Playing devils advocate, but staying put with a B-grade at best player doesn't give you the opportunity for an A-grade player either

Playing devils advocate, but staying put with a B-grade at best player doesn't give you the opportunity for an A-grade player either

There needs to be a shift in peoples thinking regarding a players ability. A B-grade player (still not clear on how this ranking system works) that successful plays the role assigned to them is an effective player in the team. Those that don't fulfill their role don't get a game. That is how football teams are run these days.

How the hell could you even trade a free agent who's contracted
First of all you'd say "lacras we want to trade you to Melbourne" and he'd say "im contacted how about you **** off" then when his contract is up he'd piss off to where ever he wanted.

There needs to be a shift in peoples thinking regarding a players ability. A B-grade player (still not clear on how this ranking system works) that successful plays the role assigned to them is an effective player in the team. Those that don't fulfill their role don't get a game. That is how football teams are run these days.
Yep they are effective, but everyone is saying (and I agree) that we need to get an A-grade mid from somewhere in order to compete for a flag. Are 4 or 5 B-grade mid's playing their roles going to get us there or do we need to take a chance to get an A-grade from somewhere?

How the hell could you even trade a free agent who's contracted
First of all you'd say "lacras we want to trade you to Melbourne" and he'd say "im contacted how about you **** off" then when his contract is up he'd piss off to where ever he wanted.
If a contracted player agrees to a trade then they can be traded....the club would obviously not trade Lecras if he is not likely to agree to the trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back