Analysis Did Ablett wind back the clock or just give us a taste of what’s to come?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn’t expect 37 possessions and multiple goals regularly but he can still be more damaging than most. Opposition would be silly not to give him close attention. I can still see him being the difference in a lot of games to come.

Yeah, sometimes you have to settle for 34, a goal and 8 tackles :(

He's still a bit brittle.. but the difference is now to 12 months ago is that hes not the #1 target of opposition sides and that he can work outside more to affect the contest. He still is putting his rig into the game too - 8 tackles yesterday. And there is clearly still plenty of Ablett family genius left in the in the bottle

The bye will be perfectly timed for him IMO.

GO Catters

I'd say he's been Geelong's best player or two at least half of the games he's played this year. A few came out to write him off after the Essendon shocker. Colour me shocked that those same people are eerily quiet after back to back BOG performances.
Scary that Chris Scott and Ablett himself believe there's still some improvement left in him!

He's still a bit brittle.. but the difference is now to 12 months ago is that hes not the #1 target of opposition sides and that he can work outside more to affect the contest. He still is putting his rig into the game too - 8 tackles yesterday. And there is clearly still plenty of Ablett family genius left in the in the bottle

The bye will be perfectly timed for him IMO.

GO Catters

Thats an astute observation. I feel he has not been cherry ripe for a couple of seasons now he is loading up the body , he is going to the well , he is asking more of his body than he has for a long time to a degree trying to turn into McFly and go back to the future... so yes he probably is a little brittle... but if he can keep out of harms way.. and playing around while others that cop the heat ... the week by week he will become more malleable , more durable more able bend rather than to break. Pretty sure the Tigers will come for him this week.. so he has already done the job of drawing some heat .. guys like Duncan and Joel should be able to slowly get used to having to share the load.

Thats an astute observation. I feel he has not been cherry ripe for a couple of seasons now he is loading up the body , he is going to the well , he is asking more of his body than he has for a long time to a degree trying to turn into McFly and go back to the future... so yes he probably is a little brittle... but if he can keep out of harms way.. and playing around while others that cop the heat ... the week by week he will become more malleable , more durable more able bend rather than to break. Pretty sure the Tigers will come for him this week.. so he has already done the job of drawing some heat .. guys like Duncan and Joel should be able to slowly get used to having to share the load.

His work in helping block Jacobs to give Joel a chop out on Saturday was brilliant teamwork and shows he’s fully invested in this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His work in helping block Jacobs to give Joel a chop out on Saturday was brilliant teamwork and shows he’s fully invested in this.
This x 1000.

Something that GCS could never give him. Satisfaction of being at home - family, club and postcode.

Sure he’s a professional and well paid and he put in his efffort up there, but as one well paid away from home, I can assure you the intangibles are priceless.

Go Catters

Looking at the draw it may be a good idea to rest him against Sydney (interstate) and Freo (at home).
I said at the start of the season we had to find about 5% if we are going to get into a GF.
5% is a fit GAJ. He maybe 34 but class is permanent.

He’s an absolute freak of nature.

Anybody who complained about bringing him back at 33 because we pushed others out the door, truly just don’t get it.

He’s on a different level to your Chapman’s and Johnson’s and even your Bartel’s. GAJ is literally in the top handful to ever play the game.

The last 2 weeks show me that he’s finally got back some legit confidence in his body. As a previous post said, he’s closer to winning a 3rd Brownlow than he is to being finished. Enjoy it, people!!!

I think he’s been great all year tbh. But I think we need to temper expectations a bit. Gold Coast were pathetic against us, and North’s signature team defence wasn’t there on the weekend (only ~50 tackles). It’s good to see he contributes when we’re up against the tide, but makes the opposition pay when they’re off.

From Footy Wire: “In 2018 Gary Ablett leads the following 10 players in disposals, marks, inside-50’s, goals, score involvements and meters gained per game.

Patrick Cripps
Bryce Gibbs
Ollie Wines
Joel Selwood
Dylan Shiel
Scott Pendlebury
Josh P Kennedy
Trent Cotchin
Callan Ward
Jack Steven

Again, he’s 34.”

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He’s an absolute freak of nature.

Anybody who complained about bringing him back at 33 because we pushed others out the door, truly just don’t get it.

He’s on a different level to your Chapman’s and Johnson’s and even your Bartel’s. GAJ is literally in the top handful to ever play the game.
Really? There are two reasons why you would bring in a 33yo:
1) The Luke Hodge trade - to bring in experience for a young, raw list
2) The Ablett trade - to bring in a genuinely good player for a premiership shot.

As good as he may well be, there are two caveats:
- It's not September yet, and the end can come quickly, and, more pertinently
- We are not in premiership contention, and are borderline for the finals.

I still do not think it was a great idea, even though I completely agree about where he sits in the game's history. This is not just about how good he is - it's about whether we can use what he offers.

From Footy Wire: “In 2018 Gary Ablett leads the following 10 players in disposals, marks, inside-50’s, goals, score involvements and meters gained per game.

Patrick Cripps
Bryce Gibbs
Ollie Wines
Joel Selwood
Dylan Shiel
Scott Pendlebury
Josh P Kennedy
Trent Cotchin
Callan Ward
Jack Steven

Again, he’s 34.”

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app