Review Cats back in business after smashing Hawks by 82 points at the G

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny, the incident that caused the most damage and was easiest to avoid doing is also the one punished least harshly. Although I bet if Hawkins started doing that he'd get two weeks for it.

If Hawkins did it, he'd be deregistered.

We just won the flag mate. The glass should at least be half full…

I'm as impartial as they come.. I expected us to be a little sluggish post a premiership but I don't think anyone was really accepting of the first 3 rounds, particularly the GC game.

The glass is half full to be honest, which is why I said I wasn't going to get carried away with it, it was fun to watch that second half. I don't think it's unreasonable for anyone to be expecting the reigning premier to have a positively balanced W/L ratio though.

Funny, the incident that caused the most damage and was easiest to avoid doing is also the one punished least harshly. Although I bet if Hawkins started doing that he'd get two weeks for it.

It’s a fine only because Meek got his knee high enough to get Blicavs in the ribs

Issue for Hawkins would be that he may be unable to give his knee high enough for anything other than groin contact which would mean a grading of careless conduct, medium impact & groin contact would see him miss a week

Rohan stiff, but we'll just have to get on with it. As the most suspended team in the comp we're used to it by now.
Rohan was bloody lucky CJ wasn't hurt. Jiath didn't even have the ball when Rohan slung him to the ground with the sort of 'textbook' sling tackle which the AFL have gone to great lengths to eliminate from the game.

I think Day was pretty stiff to get 2 matches. Same penalty as Kysiah Pickett :eek:

What the hell was he supposed to do? He's gone for the ball, Close got there first and Day immediately wrapped him up in a tackle and dragged him down to the turf from a low-to-ground position. Day was only about 1 foot off the ground, and Close went down knee first and landed awkwardly face first from there. I don't think think there was any malice or intent from Day to "bury" Close. It was just a normal tackle with an awkward ending.

How the hell can they assess it as high level impact when Close was unhurt, unfazed and got straight to his feet and took his free kick?

Under the AFL's rules, Day would've been better off just aiming a swinging arm tackle straight at Close's head, the sort of 'careless tackle' which Buddy Franklin has gotten away with countless times at Sydney.

2 matches for a first offence... So now he has a "bad record" which will count against him next time he tackles someone awkwardly. Unbelievable.

Last edited:
Rohan was bloody lucky CJ wasn't hurt. Jiath didn't even have the ball when Rohan slung him to the ground with the sort of 'textbook' sling tackle which the AFL have gone to great lengths to eliminate from the game.

I think Day was pretty stiff to get 2 matches. What the hell was he supposed to do? He's gone for the ball, Close got there first and Day immediately wrapped him up in a tackle and dragged him down to the turf from a low-to-ground position. Day was only about 1 foot off the ground, and Close went down knee first and landed awkwardly face first from there. I don't think think there was any malice or intent from Day to "bury" Close. It was just a normal tackle with an awkward ending.

How the hell can they assess it as "high impact" (as opposed to "medium") when Close was unhurt, unfazed and got straight to his feet and took his free kick?

Under the AFL's rules, Day would've been better off just aiming a swinging arm tackle straight at Close's head, the sort of 'careless tackle' which Buddy Franklin has gotten away with countless times at Sydney.
db57af0e6331b44c0ee4a52f44601d3f.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love this doing the rounds on social media getting back at Pies fans who were bagging Henry after his poor game last week (not that he was on his own there) and getting "dropped" from the side on Thursday night:

FtVeq3YaUAYxTJ1

It was probably more about Jed Bews stopped playing... he has been putrid all year; even by his meagre standards

Not sure they tried that hard at first. It wasn't until we'd tabled an offer that the Giants decided to up their figure to match. So based on that, they were short-changing him, salary cap pressure or not.

with the fullness of time, it is now clear they never had the intention of retaining him. All they did by matching the contract was ensure they got a better pick haul off us. They knew he was off and not a chance to stay. They didn’t have the money to pay him as evident by fire-sale they conducted a season later In order to stay under the cap.

Day 2 matches, but Rohan 1 match

Seems legit.

:eek:
Did Jiath's head hit the ground?

Rohan shouldn't have been cited at all.

It should be low impact.

Did Jiath's head hit the ground?

Rohan shouldn't have been cited at all.

It should be low impact.
Yeah... the Rohan grading seems a little effed up when you look at it like that. I just meant there was more 'intent' behind it than Day's tackle. Cj didn't even have the footy, the ball had popped out, so it was a 'late' tackle too.

There was element of "dangerous" with the Day tackle. I can understand the umpire penalising him. It looks bad on TV. But I really think it was just awkward, more than anything else. It's bewildering how he gets a 2 match ban when you consider Pickett got 2 matches for lining up Bailey Smith and doing a fair imitation of his Uncle Byron... Or even last week, when Griffin Logue ran past the ball and deliberately smashed Day in the head and only got 1 match.

I just don't understand the reasoning... "High" level of contact..? Based on what? Close was unhurt.

We just won the flag mate. The glass should at least be half full…
Beat me to it. Jekyll & Hyde is a little rough when we’ve just come off 16 in a row on the way to a flag! Not much Mr Hyde there!

Last edited:
Yeah... the Rohan grading seems a little effed up when you look at it like that. I just meant there was more 'intent' behind it than Day's tackle. Cj didn't even have the footy, the ball had popped out, so it was a 'late' tackle too.

There was element of "dangerous" with the Day tackle. I can understand the umpire penalising him. It looks bad on TV. But I really think it was just awkward, more than anything else. It's bewildering how he gets a 2 match ban when you consider Pickett got 2 matches for lining up Bailey Smith and doing a fair imitation of his Uncle Byron... Or even last week, when Griffin Logue ran past the ball and deliberately smashed Day in the head and only got 1 match.

I just don't understand the reasoning... "High" level of contact..? Based on what? Close was unhurt.

I'll agree with you on the High contact. Would've thought that's the "outcome" part of the grading and Close played out the match.

Both should probably have gotten 1 week.

I missed the Day tackle so can't comment.

The Rohan one looked like he thought Jiath still had the ball but I'm not sure how it can be graded as medium impact when his head didn't hit the turf nor did he look hurt. 🤷

If Rohan got 1, I'm not surprised Day got 2 as his tackle looked much more fierce.

If Rohan got off then Day getting 1 would have seemed ok to me.

I thought Rohan was a chance at getting off, but I also know they aint joking around with this stuff anymore and we usually cop the fullest whack possible.

I’m still confused by the Rohan one, it looks terrible but I heard someone on SEN today say Rohans feet weren’t on the ground for most part of it. 🤷‍♂️

Remove this Banner Ad

Back