Coach Did Damien Hardwick fake exhaustion to graciously exit a declining Richmond?

Remove this Banner Ad

In another year, Richmond faithful will start to murmur about Dimmas legacy.

In three years time, some will openly question Dimma as the Suns rise.

In five years time, most tigers fans will dismiss Dimma as a traitor as the Suns make the GF.

I struggle to remember all the sackings.

This was the one that happened when Clarkson was available? The board went balls deep last minute with a shoddy pitch to get him while Truck still had a contract?
Come on mate, I remember all the richmond ones ! Poor old Tommy, richardson, jewell in jewell out, jewell in, sir Francis, patto, sproule, kevin “ I’m never settling foot in the joint again “ Bartlett, jeansy, swooper, walls ( give him a run in the ruck) unleash the geisch, spud, plough.
You bring up clarkson, I bring up bullet firmly dodged.

The wisdom of hindsight. Richmond are second bottom and hitting depths no seen since our good old days, but what do you expect. The last two weeks we have come up against sides that have been underachieving, with a bit of pressure on desperate to hit some form. Look at the respective midfields of the 3 teams.

Bont, Treloar and co (thank god they didn't have Libba)
Neale, Zorko in great form, and co.
vs Dow (playing his 10 game as a mid), MacAuliffe playing his second, Pickett, playing first time since the 2017 GF as a mid.
Prestia, nowhere near the player he was and underdone after missing 6 weeks. Dusty who is most likely playing injured but doing very little of the heavy lifting, and cameo's from Bolton.

Hopper, Taranto and Ross, whilst not stars sure add some muscle, experience and they get the ball. It has been boys against men the last few weeks.

Then we have had nobody to kick it too. Lefau, our rugby player has been our focal target, and has not done to badly. And he was knocked out second Q. Lynch and Balta and Lefau would be nice, although Balta has two games under his belt now, if you could call it that with the beltings we have received.

We had 3 players left in the VFL last week. Only 4 players have played every game this year. You can't compete under those circumstances, look at WC last year compared to this year.

Hardwick leaving was the best thing for the club. He had run his race and was much like Buckley when he left Collingwood. New coach new energy.

Richmond in the next 3-4 weeks will get a lot more good players back, until then it is hard to know where Richmond are at, other than getting a top 1-4 draft pick next year.

Last edited:
Yep. He had a chat with Djokovic in the 2023 Aussie Open and decided to adopt the same tactics.

Bloody legend.

2020* Covid season forever tarnished.

Two well earned flags but it's back irrelevancy for you lot :)
Richmond getting spanked by 100 points is never an irrelevancy like it is for StKilda.
In the AFL era I reckon Richmond would hold the record for 100 points spankings. Its something I've come to associate with them alongside dump trucks of manure.

I've missed it. But after a brief hiatus it's back to business as usual at Tigerland. Normal service has been resumed. I can enjoy watching them play again.

"graciously exit"

Hahahahahahahaha.

Happy Greys Anatomy GIF by ABC Network

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2020* Covid season forever tarnished.

Two well earned flags but it's back irrelevancy for you lot :)

You have the weirdest obsession with Richmond, are you alright? I take it you are very young and don't forget how much of a joke Geelong was before 2007. Settle down mate.

He's certainly got Suns playing delectable footy. Next step is to win in Melbourne. I love the way they play.

But yeah, once one starts telling fibs to those closest to us, it is pretty easy to tell fibsies to your employer, colleagues, even if they are Richmond men and women, when that used to mean something.

First of all I’ll say I love Dimma and everything he brought to the club but Dimma loves Dimma first and foremost.
I think what happened is 2023 was always going to be his last year even though he was contracted to the end of this season. He wanted to go out on a high and thought the addition of Tarranto and hopper could see us winning last years flag. A deal had been made in principal with the suns prior to 2023 that he’d be their coach this year.
Once 2023 started to turn to crap and he knew a flag or finals was not going to happen he thought what’s the point, better to go now and give the club the chance to appoint a successor while he could have a break.
Fine to finish up whenever he wanted however what irks me is the club having no succession plan in place as we had both McRae and Kingsley sitting underneath him who could have smoothly transitioned into the top job.
Saying all this I don’t think we are the car crash as what is being talked about us. Our injury list is horrendous and no club can compete with so many key players out and so many young inexperienced players in. We’ll have the best draft hand of any club this year and yze will have a better understanding of our list moving forward.

Makes you wonder if your bombers had chosen him over knights if they would have won a flag or two in the 2010s.

Wouldn’t have put up with any of those Dank shenanigans and is the sort of guy who wouldn’t put up with Sheedys white anting.

Sliding door moment for both clubs and Hardwick right there.

He wouldn’t have lasted at Essendon. Sacked like the rest of our coaches. No way he’s around long enough to win a flag.

He wouldn’t have lasted at Essendon. Sacked like the rest of our coaches. No way he’s around long enough to win a flag.
Perhaps. Looking at the successful clubs over the past 20 years (and also those that haven’t been successful), a strong and stable board lead by a supportive prez, and a CEO with clear strategic vision that’s enabled by the board is key. That vision also needs to ensure the right people and resources are allocated to the football dept with little interference from others.

Of course no white anting agitators, which was a major cause of Richmond’s miserable 37 years pre 2017 and the last couple of decades for the Bombers post the Sheedy coaching era (who is ironically the clubs biggest problem still).

Perhaps. Looking at the successful clubs over the past 20 years (and also those that haven’t been successful), a strong and stable board lead by a supportive prez, and a CEO with clear strategic vision that’s enabled by the board is key. That vision also needs to ensure the right people and resources are allocated to the football dept with little interference from others.

Of course no white anting agitators, which was a major cause of Richmond’s miserable 37 years pre 2017 and the last couple of decades for the Bombers post the Sheedy coaching era (who is ironically the clubs biggest problem still).

He’d have had a poor season at some point and simply got the arse. Just like the rest of our coaches. There hasn’t been any stability at Essendon for 20 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back