Opinion Don't mention the war (a.k.a. The same old arguments)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeh, the Johnson thing is a massive **** up. Imagine if we make the grand final against GWS and he kicks 4 and we lose by 3!
and we are going to do the exact same thing with menzel. talk about the club hating on talented offensive forwards. this is what happens when your coach and general manager are dour defensive back pockets.

Not really cause it's just a rumour TBH.
Unfortunately because we were given no valid reasons by the club to why he was let go it's caused a lot of speculation.
given the reasons for dropping menzel and the fact that johnson had those same short comings its clear now he was dumped because of lack of defensive pressure. ridiculous reason to drop a forward with such offensive talent.

and we are going to do the exact same thing with menzel. talk about the club hating on talented offensive forwards. this is what happens when your coach and general manager are dour defensive back pockets.
We really love injury prone ones though who can't get on the park.

I love how the Stevie J stuff gets moved in here. "Don't mention the war". I hope I'm not sitting on my porch in a rocking chair in my 90's with a grandson on my knee and I hear "Grandad, tell me about the time Geelong gave away that forward who beat us in a grand final".... "Well little Stephen, it's like this".....

I love how the Stevie J stuff gets moved in here. "Don't mention the war". I hope I'm not sitting on my porch in a rocking chair in my 90's with a grandson on my knee and I hear "Grandad, tell me about the time Geelong gave away that forward who beat us in a grand final".... "Well little Stephen, it's like this".....

I agree.

The GWS coach has already said that SJ may not be fit to play next week and that he's been suss all year after a game. The guy is 50-50 to even walk onto the ground next week and if he does he's 20-80 as to whether he contributes in a positive fashion. He's simply not worth the risk at Geelong.

I agree.

The GWS coach has already said that SJ may not be fit to play next week and that he's been suss all year after a game. The guy is 50-50 to even walk onto the ground next week and if he does he's 20-80 as to whether he contributes in a positive fashion. He's simply not worth the risk at Geelong.
This year that is true TBH. But not last year.
Our other small forwards have also a 0-100 chance of getting on the ground.

he kicks 40 goals the next season and was stiff to not be nominated for the all australian squad and then two seasons later kicks 6 in a final. how could you still possibly say he was cooked two years ago? i mean seriously? its a ridiculous comment that shows unbelievable cognitive bias. just admit you were wrong.

He was cooked, his discipline was deplorable, and he wasn't asking for a Rookie salary.

He is now playing in a team of first round picks, and not in a team trying to bring new and young talent through.

Admit you are wrong (I'm surprised you can spell cognitive).

"Tell us Grandad bout the time Greg Williams wanted $50 more a game."
"Well little Tomahawk-Cockatoo, we ended up playing Carlton in a grand final...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Tell us Grandad bout the time Greg Williams wanted $50 more a game."
"Well little Tomahawk-Cockatoo, we ended up playing Carlton in a grand final...

Now THAT spilt milk was a generation ago. What has that got to do with this year or last year? Besides which we know that Williams was paid far more via a brown paper bag (at Sydney and Carlton) than was ever declared over the table.

Last edited:
Tis not what I heard. I heard he was willing to do a 1 year contract for bugger all.

My mail is different, I guess unless you see the paperwork it's all conjecture.

I suspect the brain fades and suspensions were one of the main reasons though (especially with the young kids coming through).

Now THAT spilt milk was a generation ago. What has that got to do with this year or last year? Besides which we know that Williams was paid far more via a brown paper bag than was ever declared over the table.
I hold grudges! 'Twas also a bit of joke.
He was also paid with a nice house in Essendon.
When he was with us it was a different era with what players were paid.
He wanted to stay with us. I'm preety sure it was less than 50$ also.

My mail is different, I guess unless you see the paperwork it's all conjecture.

I suspect the brain fades and suspensions were one of the main reasons though (especially with the young kids coming through).
You could be right with the pay. Weird we could offer Bartel a 2 year contract though who was actually cooked. I can guarantee too that he wouldn't play for Rooke wages.
What young players coming through? McCarthy? , Gregson? None of our small forwards could even get on the field or even come close to Johnsons output even this year, let alone last year.
Suspensions yeah. But who cares, showed last night was the only player to stick up for Whitfield. If he didn't knock out Kennedy last year I doubt GWS win that game.
Discipline? I never hear of him going out and getting on the pingers and getting wasted during the season like some of our players this year.

"Well little Tommy - utensil, like I explained to your sister Scarlett- Joeline back in my day $50 was a lot of money......"
"50$ could buy me 2 slabs, a pack of ciggies and still have money left over to spend at the TAB back then"
"We also had to afford Gaz Snr,Snr,Snr's wages"
"What are ciggies?"
"Oh they became illegal years ago. "
"Is the TAB the place that sponsors my school and teaches me how to understand sporting odds?"
"Yep"

I'm willing to stick my neck out hopefully nobody chops it off . I felt that all the players you moved on were good decisions except Johnson . Their comes a time even for great teams to look at their list . Take for example the English premier league . They look at their list every year and the top sides are never afraid to get rid of someone and it doesn't matter as much about who they are . Sometimes the very top players at a club get notice to look for another club during the season . The players just accept it as part of the game .

With Johnson I don't know the behind the scenes stuff , maybe he was slacking off at training or asking for too much money or even the club thought it was time . It's easy in hindsight to say that was a mistake but mistakes are made all the time in hindsight , things like they should have played Taylor at chf etc but there is no point in living in the past . Just accept it and move on . Remember at GWS he doesn't have to do that much because he is surrounded by young healthy young men so they don't mind if he plays one good game out of six .

Also at GWS he can sit out of the pack and hope someone handballs the ball to him . He doesn't do the hard work anymore .

"50$ could buy me 2 slabs, a pack of ciggies and still have money left over to spend at the TAB back then"
"We also had to afford Gaz Snr,Snr,Snr's wages"
"What are ciggies?"
"Oh they became illegal years ago. "
"Is the TAB the place that sponsors my school and teaches me how to understand sporting odds?"
"Yep"
Ha ha ha. Brilliant

I'm willing to stick my neck out hopefully nobody chops it off . I felt that all the players you moved on were good decisions except Johnson . Their comes a time even for great teams to look at their list . Take for example the English premier league . They look at their list every year and the top sides are never afraid to get rid of someone and it doesn't matter as much about who they are . Sometimes the very top players at a club get notice to look for another club during the season . The players just accept it as part of the game .

With Johnson I don't know the behind the scenes stuff , maybe he was slacking off at training or asking for too much money or even the club thought it was time . It's easy in hindsight to say that was a mistake but mistakes are made all the time in hindsight , things like they should have played Taylor at chf etc but there is no point in living in the past . Just accept it and move on . Remember at GWS he doesn't have to do that much because he is surrounded by young healthy young men so they don't mind if he plays one good game out of six .

Also at GWS he can sit out of the pack and hope someone handballs the ball to him . He doesn't do the hard work anymore .
Everyone makes mistakes. I should know, the mrs reminds me everyday. I'm hoping when Stevie's book comes out we know a bit more about the truth. We've heard nothing from the club except "now it's Tom's forward line"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back