Opinion Don't mention the war (a.k.a. The same old arguments)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah. Stevie was willing to play for Damn all.
We gave Bartel a 2 year contract (that went well!) and also Mackie a 2 year contract.
Jimmy creeped to the line but Mackie has shown that two year deal was fair enough.
Playing well enough for another year, but alas not to be.

This was Stevie's efforts in round 23:
8 disposals, 1 mark, 2 tackles, 2 inside 50s & 2 frees against - no goals or behinds and no goal assists.

How many after that match declared we made the wrong decision to let him go or at that time was it the right decision?

Seems that it's only ever after a good performance that the same old arguments get pulled out about how we made the wrong decision to let a player go. But let's be honest, if Stevie was still playing in the hoops when he put in his round 23 performance, the calls around here would be for him to be dropped from the team as he would be a liability and there would be questions about why he was still on the list.

Hell, after his poor performances were still have people questioning why we didn't take the non-existent 2 first round picks trade offer from GWS. Of course it then makes sense that some will question the decision to let him go after his odd good performance.

Totally ridiculous
plenty of people said it was still utterly stupid after that game because that game was two years and 60 goals later. we now also know that his bad form late in this season is pretty much solely related to a knee injury.

He has struggled in a lot of games this year and while picking six off a dead Eagles carcass was fun, it wasn't exactly a high-pressure game. Some of that marking in the second half was farcical. He has good weeks and bad now.
I don't agree that he was totally cooked two years ago, but he needed the move. His 2016 was far better than his 2015 was, but now he's gone on a year too long.
he was our second leading goal scorer in 2015 despite having zero preseason that year and that is the only thing that stopped him from kicking 40 in 2015 as well. he was still in our top 10 players in 2015. there is no sane argument to justify him leaving for nothing at the end of 2015 and anyone who tries just looks stupid in their reasoning abilities.

Chapman went early (was arguably geelongs best on ground in his last two full games at the club), johnson went early, caddy was shopped and then traded for unders, motlop has been shopped publically for the last three years in a disgraceful manner and menzel is now being treated like a leper. All are small attacking forwards that arent great defensively. its not hard to draw the dots.

Cattery I suggest you read Jester's comment above. Corroborating evidence for the Hocking interview you were sceptical to believe.

Well that's certainly set me straight, if someone who's "pretty well connected" with the club says it's true then it bloody well must be true beyond any question.
;)

You'll have to excuse me if I don't take that as corroborating evidence though, so I'll just remain (very) skeptical until/unless I hear something a tad more concrete then that.

*Wouldn't mind a link to where he actually made those remarks as well*

plenty of people said it was still utterly stupid after that game because that game was two years and 60 goals later. we now also know that his bad form late in this season is pretty much solely related to a knee injury.

As someone once said, keep saying it long enough that a player in his thirties is finished and you're eventually going to be proven right. :thumbsu:

You said the magic words in that opening sentence - Tom Stewart...

Both Stewart & Clark have similar strengths & weaknesses - neither are guys you really want to be relying on in a 1-on-1 situation or where they're made to be playing tight & accountable. They both play at their best when they have freedom to their game

We have some really strong defensive players around Stewart, were they do what they do best and it hopefully allows Stewart to do what he does best - though some teams are getting better at making Stewart play accountable football

As such, it was always going to be hard for Clark to find a spot in our defensive unit (the position he reportedly wants to play) when we have Stewart back there, who's going to be the preferred selection every day of the week - though with Stewart's absence across the season, Clark may have got a chance down back

I'm happy for Clark at Fremantle, good luck to him - but it's hard to argue that the trade wasn't the right option for all involved
Lol. Duncans also playing in that backline. He aint accountable. Touhy aint either when he is back there.

having clark in the backline frees up duncan to play more up the ground.

stewarts the best aerial interceptor in the league. they arent remotely competing for the same position.

Lol. Duncans also playing in that backline. He aint accountable. Touhy aint either when he is back there.

having clark in the backline frees up duncan to play more up the ground.

stewarts the best aerial interceptor in the league. they arent remotely competing for the same position.
It would let Duncan play more at centre bounces after the opposition goals leaked by Clark.

I was wrong about Jordan Clark, horribly wrong. I've watched a fair bit of Freo this year and not only can he break the lines he's also defending now.

Those that say he can't defend haven't watched him enough this year.

Alas, he wanted to leave and we got Conway. Time to move on..

I should be a bit clearer: if we had done the first (played him in the seniors off half-back) then we wouldn't have had to trade him for a pick in the 20s. Once we were into October, yep, we were only getting p22 and fair enough.
Why weaken our team just to play him a few times to slightly increase the trade?
He was not in our best side.

I was wrong about Jordan Clark, horribly wrong. I've watched a fair bit of Freo this year and not only can he break the lines he's also defending now.

Lets hope it's a win-win with Conway becoming the gun ruck we think he has the potential to become.

Lets also hope we win the premiership this year and Clark is either sitting at home watching us do it, or better still, our opponent on the day.

I was wrong about Jordan Clark! I thought there’s no possible way in Hell that by round 18 we’d be sitting on top of the ladder with the best defense in the league over the last 6 weeks and people would still be saying it’s a mistake to let him go! Move on, for the love of God, move on!!

I was wrong about Jordan Clark! I thought there’s no possible way in Hell that by round 18 we’d be sitting on top of the ladder with the best defense in the league over the last 6 weeks and people would still be saying it’s a mistake to let him go! Move on, for the love of God, move on!!
Love this. Why don't you use the general theme of your post here to kick off what I believe would be best termed the 'Spilt Milk' thread? A wretched place where vitriolic posters can line up to repeatedly enunciate their weeping, gnashing of teeth, and the interminable fire of furious indignation that burns within them and that can never be quenched.

Make it so...

:cool:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve watched him plenty. He can’t defend.

If you think he somehow was not best 22, then you haven’t been watching Freo this year.
in 2021 at Geelong you bet-ya he wasn't.
In 2022 at Fremantle he absolutely is.

Better fit for them, awful fit for us.
And yes all of Menegola, Duncan, Smith, Tuohy, Stewart, Henry etc etc were better than him last season and are so this season.

Not a chance in hell will some let this go, people still whinge about Mummy lol

Not that we didn't get compensated for him but Jordan Clark is playing well for Freo of a half back flank. 24 disposals, 7 marks, 3 tackles and 425m gained tonight.

I think we can draw a line through the idea that Prestia being present or not makes the difference between Richmond and Richmondie type performances. Bloody hell!! Tigers find new and wild ways with which to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Remove this Banner Ad

Back