Status
Not open for further replies.

caseman2

Team Captain
Mar 31, 2008
NYC
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Over the next 10 years I am looking forward to seeing the career of Billy Hartung unfold. He was given a taste in 2014 and is really starting to step up this season.

The interesting comparison throughout his career will be against fellow 2013 draftees Zack Merrett (Essendon Pick 26) and Lewis Taylor (Brisbane Pick 28).

Why I find this comparison interesting is that they are all similar sizes, yet have there own unique attributes and all were on the board when it came to the Hawks pick 24 in the second round.

I am more than happy to back G Wrights judgement and Billy has done nothing to make me think we he wont be a 200 game player. His gut running is exceptional, skills are coming along nicely and over time, will be able to win more of his own ball on the inside.

Zack Merret has lovely skills, evasive, knows where the goals are and has those all important "footy smarts".

Lewis Taylor, already a NAB Rising star winner, wins his own ball, is hard t it although endurance needs to be worked on.

I believe all 3 will have long successful careers but it will be interesting to see which one has the most distinguished career.

I look forward to watching with interest.

All three players play completely different roles. Zach Merrett is a half forward/midfielder, Lewis Taylor is a small forward and Billy is a wingman. Talent wise, there really isn't much separating them.

2015 stats
Z.Merrett: 21 disposals, 4 marks, 6 tackles, 0.2 goals per game (74% disposal efficiency)
L.Taylor: 21 disposals, 5 marks, 1 tackle, 0.5 goals per game (73% disposal efficiency)
B.Hartung: 21 disposals, 4 marks, 2 tackles, 0.75 goals per game (80% disposal efficiency)

Starting to believe he belongs out there, and it seems the coaches have given him a bit of a licence to use his run and take the game on, a la Hill and Smith.

What's most impressive is that he seems like he loves to work hard, wants to learn and wants to get the best out of himself. Very important attributes to have. Will be a 200+ game player.

Haven't seen much of Lewis Taylor but Merrett oozes class. Was he a F/S or just ended up at the Bombers?

Very happy with Hartung. Will be interesting t see which of he or Hill has the highest ceiling.

I believe he is related to former Collingwood winger of the 50s Thorold. (Could be wrong, and not sure of the spelling)

Haven't seen much of Lewis Taylor but Merrett oozes class. Was he a F/S or just ended up at the Bombers?

Just ended up there with his brother, they have no connection with Roger from my understanding.

The three prospects were all meant to go higher in mocks drafts.

Lewis Taylor was pegged for Geelong at 16 who shocked everyone by taking Darcy Lang.

St Kilda were meant to be the ones taking Hartung with either pick 18 or 19 but went for big mids in Dunstan and Acres.

Merrett was tipped to be drafted by Hawthorn at 24, so I often keep an eye on him now.

Wright clearly places a high value on the long distance runners so this was probably what tipped the scales towards Hartung.

Wright clearly places a high value on the long distance runners so this was probably what tipped the scales towards Hartung.

Once interchange caps were mooted I think the club very cleverly thought about the need to have players who would not need as much time on the pine. Am sue that was part of the thinking with McEvoy too over other ruck options.

Merrett is a beauty and at this stage I reckon he is slighly ahead of Hurtung in terms of what he has shown so far at this level. Can't help but think that Hartung has more upside and will end up being a better player. Honestly wouldn't change a thing from our original draft. P.S I reckon Hartung > Taylor

I believe he is related to former Collingwood winger of the 50s Thorold. (Could be wrong, and not sure of the spelling)

All the Merritts from Cobden are from the same clan as Thorold. Every now and then the family gene pool splits out a very good footballer.

Being completely unbiased, I think Billy might be the better of the three.

Merrett is a very nice player, good skills and as the first post said great footy smarts

Taylor has great ball winning ability, but I think his lack of tank may hinder him slightly going forward. We all know just how important aerobic capacity is now-a-days.

Hartungs biggest strength is his all round abilities. He has speed, a big tank, good skills and isn't afraid to do the dirty stuff like win his own ball or lay damaging tackles on usually bigger guys. In time I think we will start seeing him kick more goals like Smith has the last year or so.

We have a real classy player here

Very happy with Hartung. Will be interesting t see which of he or Hill has the highest ceiling.

No relation whatsoever with Roger, there were a few posters hoping we would take Merrett when the draft came by.

I like draft comparisons and this one is a good one, 3 smaller types of players with different strengths and weaknesses. Hopefully our boy becomes the best of them!

The thing that impresses me most about Billy is his workrate off the field. He wants to learn and become the best player he can be.

His decision making and disposal has improved greatly over the last 12 months.

Merrett is a beauty and at this stage I reckon he is slighly ahead of Hurtung in terms of what he has shown so far at this level. Can't help but think that Hartung has more upside and will end up being a better player. Honestly wouldn't change a thing from our original draft. P.S I reckon Hartung > Taylor
This is spot on.
Can only add that Zach Merrit is also a hell of a nice kid. He did a clinic at my son's footy club and was really great with the boys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Billy is a beauty and is coming a lot great.. Without any bias, at this stage id take Merett. I think Merett has a bit more x-factor however it's really clutching at straws separating the 2. We will know a lot more after next season.

look at the two pools the Hawks and essen dope

which bright young player has more chance of winning a spot?
and yet who are we seeing an awful lot of?
Hartung is a Hawk through and through........
and I said this the second i saw him play... another Rioli I said ( yeah differentt players but you all know what I mean)

Where do you think the 3 players stand going into season 2016 - 3 season since being drafted we should get a real idea where they will end up in the pecking order.

Hurtung - will be stung from missing the 2015 GF
Taylor - will out to prove a point after have a down year after winning the 14 rising star and his court issues
Merrett - will become a key plyer for the Bombers with so many senior players missing the season

Hartung and Merrett look to have a lot of upside.

Taylor reminds me a lot of Rhys Palmer. Winning the Rising Star in your debut year for a terrible team, but thats your ceiling. Clubs have figured Taylor out. He gets plenty of ball but isn't damaging. Has no more tricks.

Will be interesting to see in the next 5 years where Merrett and Hartung are placed. Merret has some skills, but i've never seen a more devoted hard-working kid than Billy. You can tell that the game means so much to him.

Hartung and Merrett look to have a lot of upside.

Taylor reminds me a lot of Rhys Palmer. Winning the Rising Star in your debut year for a terrible team, but thats your ceiling. Clubs have figured Taylor out. He gets plenty of ball but isn't damaging. Has no more tricks.

Will be interesting to see in the next 5 years where Merrett and Hartung are placed. Merret has some skills, but i've never seen a more devoted hard-working kid than Billy. You can tell that the game means so much to him.
Merrett could be bullied about now that they're missing x% of their senior bodies. Who knows how that'll work out?

Am facinated to see how things work out for billy.

Could go down in history as a true ground/barrier breaker.

Wish him all the best and look forward to his autobiography after hes played 300 games, x amount of premierships and a brownlow.

Good luck billy!

Being completely unbiased, I think Billy might be the better of the three.

Merrett is a very nice player, good skills and as the first post said great footy smarts

Taylor has great ball winning ability, but I think his lack of tank may hinder him slightly going forward. We all know just how important aerobic capacity is now-a-days.

Hartungs biggest strength is his all round abilities. He has speed, a big tank, good skills and isn't afraid to do the dirty stuff like win his own ball or lay damaging tackles on usually bigger guys. In time I think we will start seeing him kick more goals like Smith has the last year or so.

We have a real classy player here

If he translates his impact form to a full game hes almost a star already. Seems to be very prolific. Than hes gotta transcend the extra opposition attention he gets

Youll know when the bf hawk haters start targetting him as they did with cyril

Just ended up there with his brother, they have no connection with Roger from my understanding.

The three prospects were all meant to go higher in mocks drafts.

Lewis Taylor was pegged for Geelong at 16 who shocked everyone by taking Darcy Lang.

St Kilda were meant to be the ones taking Hartung with either pick 18 or 19 but went for big mids in Dunstan and Acres.

Merrett was tipped to be drafted by Hawthorn at 24, so I often keep an eye on him now.

Correct. We were always taking Dunstan & Hartung if they were available, but Acres slid so we grabbed him.

This has become a no brainer. Zac Merrett is so far in front of Hartung and Lewis it isnt a funny.
In a terrible side, Merrett is an absolute standout and could quite possibly win a B&F.

From a Hawthorn perspective, Billy has a lot of great attributes such as pace, endurance and delivery, however, until he learns to go when it is hear turn and is will to put his body in, he is somewhat of a liability. We are not asking him to be a Hodge or Lewis but gee, you need to put your head over it when it is your turn for the sake of the team. He is very very hesitant when it comes to body contact.

It has also become evident lately, that he isn't prepared to back himself to the degree he was earlier in this career.

c'mon Billy - if we are to win 4 straight we need you breaking the lines and providing that continued outside run whilst going when it is your turn!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back