Remove this Banner Ad

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Should they be called draws or ties?

And, less importantly, what should happen afterwards?

Pop quiz #1
Who blazed out on the full late in our game against St Kilda at Waverley way back in the 90s for our first ever draw?

Pop quiz #2
Who kicked truly against Collingwood to tie the game at the MCG for our second draw?

Pop quiz #3
Who almost hit the AO scoreboard with his OOF set shot from the Eddie Betts pocket early in Q4 of our draw with the Lions?

I have no feeling, just like I do when we have a draw.
2# brackets
3# dragon
It would be glorious if the poll finished in a draw

Keep it as it is. They've always been a part of the game and I see no reason to change it. If neither team is good enough to win after four quarters, then a draw is a fair result.

Obviously it's different in finals because there has to be a winner then.

Should they be called draws or ties?

And, less importantly, what should happen afterwards?

Pop quiz #1
Who blazed out on the full late in our game against St Kilda at Waverley way back in the 90s for our first ever draw?

Pop quiz #2
Who kicked truly against Collingwood to tie the game at the MCG for our second draw?

Pop quiz #3
Who almost hit the AO scoreboard with his OOF set shot from the Eddie Betts pocket early in Q4 of our draw with the Lions?
Greg Anderson

Mitch McGovern

Elliott Himmelberg

Is there a prize?

Keep it as it is. They've always been a part of the game and I see no reason to change it. If neither team is good enough to win after four quarters, then a draw is a fair result.

Obviously it's different in finals because there has to be a winner then.
But I think one improvement would be that at the end of a drawn game they play both teams' theme tunes concurrently. It would be a weird & wonderful cacophony of noise that would have to bring a smile to the players' faces!!!!

Draws are shit.

Empty hollow feeling at the end of the game. Players, fans, commentators all dejected, flat, confused. No one knows what to say or do.

Obviously for it to end in a draw the last few minutes have been exciting and hectic. Then the siren goes with no winner. The ultimate anti climax.

What kind of psychopath thinks that’s ok?

Whilst I don't like the draw, it was a weird feeling last night, I think it is necessary for home and away games.

Playing extra time provides an artificial result that is not required for a non Finals match.

I do believe that extra time should occur in all Finals including the GF.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they were to do away with the draw, I like the idea the game just continues after the siren, no break and next score wins.

That wouldn’t work. Often some players don’t realise scores are level.

We’d have McHenry celebrating while his man waltzes into goal.

If they were to do away with the draw, I like the idea the game just continues after the siren, no break and next score wins.

And take off one player per team each 30 seconds. Until only 1 remains on each team. Then they have to run backwards and kick with non-preferred foot.

Extra time.

Never understood why we had two different rules, during the season and finals.

‘Overtime’ is a great feature in other sports, creates tension and elevates games.

Also in a sport with no time outs, will allow greater tactics and strategy.

Draws are shit for the teams, shit for the fans, and shit for the rest of the season as they unbalance the ladder.

And take off one player per team each 30 seconds. Until only 1 remains on each team. Then they have to run backwards and kick with non-preferred foot.
Wonderful - beats my idea of rock,paper,scissors with the captains in the centre circle hands down!!!:)

I'm all for draws one quirk of the game that I feel is worth keeping.

Sure its a bit of an empty feeling but if you can't separate teams in 120 minutes so be it unless you need a result such as finals.

But I think one improvement would be that at the end of a drawn game they play both teams' theme tunes concurrently. It would be a weird & wonderful cacophony of noise that would have to bring a smile to the players' faces!!!!
Or merge them. For example, last night would've been "We're the pride of..." oh wait...

That wouldn’t work. Often some players don’t realise scores are level.

We’d have McHenry celebrating while his man waltzes into goal.
Don't sound the siren until the score is kicked.

Personally I'd prefer a golden goal rather than any score.

First to kick a goal or 6 behinds wins. No breaks or siren. Just let the play continue until we have a result.

Why should a team het to claim max points if they can't win in regulation.

The status quo is perfect. Only have it in finals where you need a result there and then

I love draws. They're a beautiful quirk of our great game.

If the players yesterday knew there was extra time, the lock down footy would've started with 2 minutes to go. Mark in the back line? Chip it around for 2 minutes. Keep forcing ball ups and throw ins.

I love the last few minutes of a drawn game, both sides laying it all on the line. They will risk losing to win. It's the only time you see that true, fatigued, no tomorrow desire from both teams. If a team is a point up, they will ice the game as soon as they have the ball. If there's extra time, it becomes that same tempo footy you see with the scores level at the end of any other quarter.

And it's all fun and games to play extra time until a team misses finals on the back of losing an overtime game.

Back