Traded Dunstan to Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Always sad when a player that showed promise moves on. He was seen as a future captain and given the famous number 7. Seems like a lifetime ago.

Must admit I didn't appreciate the clip on the way out after the club has done a lot for him including pay a very handsome wage.

Anyway it's a strange old saga after the decent year he had. Feels like there's more to it but we will never know.

Good luck Luke, I hope in time you'll come to respect the club and supporters again.
That’s the thing. In 20 or so years I hope he’s advising his kids to come to us. Parting with players is a thing that happens in football but you always hope they have a soft spot for you when everything’s said and done. Paddy is one I hope calls himself Sainter in the end. Only with us for the end but I’d hate to think he feels more allegiance to Port or essendon than us

Must admit I didn't appreciate the clip on the way out after the club has done a lot for him including pay a very handsome wage.

Anyway it's a strange old saga after the decent year he had. Feels like there's more to it but we will never know.
I for one didn't appreciate the clip on the way out either.

And as you say........he's been very well paid for most of his 8 years at the club......how many guys earn that type of coin at that age.

I don't feel that there's anything else to this tho......as I have said before....I thought he'd be out the door at the end of the 2018 season.......but he hung on.

He was also according to the footy media,shopped around last year....but with no takers.

And here we are....it's not like this situation has dropped down on us from nowhere.

Personally,I feel like he's done incredibly well to last this long at the club.

It took the AFL 45 mins to work out the compo for Chol.

It's now over 2 hours since the paperwork for Dunstan was officially lodged. There have been a few other deals go through that they've had to process too.

Hopefully we hear we'll get something soon... reckon pick 50 odd is a decent chance.

Because he is surplus to our needs. Just because Melbourne got him doesn’t mean we’ve made a mistake.
They’re midfield is more versatile than ours which is why they could carry him. With Crouch, Seb, Bytel and Crouch he doesn’t really fit for us.

This. It's a win-win scenario in my view; Bytel (who I am inexplicably way bullish on) gets his minutes / his position as next cab off the rank; and we'd be incredibly unlucky to have to reach as deep due to injury as this year.

Spook probably has a legit chance to be the 22nd picked in a premiership side next year so good on him if he grabs it.

It took the AFL 45 mins to work out the compo for Chol.

It's now over 2 hours since the paperwork for Dunstan was officially lodged. There have been a few other deals go through that they've had to process too.

Hopefully we hear we'll get something soon... reckon pick 50 odd is a decent chance.
Maybe they've gone home for tea.

Honestly I doubt we get anything. Not getting my hopes up at all.

Do Brownlow votes come into compensation calculations?😀

I caught up with Lukes family earlier this year and he has always felt on the outer. Something to do with the “cab incident” apparently.

I was happy for him this season that he got to show his worth. I remember telling crows fans when he was thrown into the crouch trade Discussion @you will not be disappointed”. He gives his all.

But he’s Been in the system for x-amount Of years. From round 11 this season he was charged with takiing the oppositions best midfielder and was brilliant. But He was struggling to compete for 4 quarters by round 18-19 lbh.

that’s why he’s know longer with us.

Last edited:
Hi All,

What happened to this guy, got to be more to the story? He was never a superstar, and yes foot skills are a worry, but he looked a pretty solid citizen throughout his career. Not to mention at face value his stats this year looked pretty bloody good (yes it means nothing without context).

Glad to have him as a Nate Jones break glass in case of emergency type, but yeah interesting choice from him... Casey will be wrapped...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi All,

What happened to this guy, got to be more to the story? He was never a superstar, and yes foot skills are a worry, but he looked a pretty solid citizen throughout his career. Not to mention at face value his stats this year looked pretty bloody good (yes it means nothing without context).

Glad to have him as a Nate Jones break glass in case of emergency type, but yeah interesting choice from him... Casey will be wrapped...
Good replacement for Jones. Dunstan's absolute best is Brownlow medal worthy, the problem is he pulls it out of his arse once or twice a year on average.

Hi All,

What I wrote when someone asked in the trade thread:

Lukey Dunstan is a divisive figure here. Most definitely not a lazy player by any measure, he's one you can rely on to crack in every week and get a respectable number of touches and some clearances. His kicking can range from okay to atrocious but I think with the right system he can thrive. There were times with us in the purple patch he had mid season where he didn't really change the kicks he went for but the same 'bang it on the boot ASAP into the forward 50' kicks started working out because our setup was expecting them.

He's not a slow decision maker he's just a poor one sometimes so if your forward line is capable of thinking on their feet and able to play that Richmond style chaos ball he'll be fine.

He can tackle well and put pressure on opposition midfielders which he did in his best games this year, running with a player then beating them in numbers a bit like Jack Steele from his tagging days lite.

Not a fast player off the mark or even at full acceleration but if you don't have him doing the outside stuff you should be fine. If you got a much less talented and classy version of the way Libba at the dogs plays it'd be Luke Dunstan. Does the hard grunt work and lets the stars do their thing. Pushed out at the Saints because we don't have any star mids other than Jack Steele and old man Hanners. Brad Crouch our most recent midfield recruit has been good for us but he's not a star that can be let off the chain either, he was brought in to do what Dunstan does but at a higher level. A few of our younger players fill the same role too, not quite at the same output yet but with scope to improve Dunstan was just found to be unlucky in his position and the composition of the list.

Good character to have as a clubman though. Well liked among the players and did a bunch of work assistant coaching our AFLW team in the midfield. Hope he lands on his feet if you guys get him.

Hi All,

Not in St Kilda’s best 22. What started out as Dunstan leaving for opportunity has turned into Melbourne giving him a lifeline even if he doesn’t get regular senior opportunities. He’s good depth, but not sure that’s what motivated him to seek a fresh start. Likely didn’t receive the demand he hoped for & Melbourne was the only club that showed real interest in him.

Hi All,

screen-20210920-144938_3_SparkVideo.gif

For context: Dunstan wins a contest for us at half forward. Late in the game. We are coming from behind but have a lot of momentum. Jack Sinclair (number 35) is one of our best kicks / decision makers. That game Dunstan had 7 I50s, and potentially even a brownlow vote. Looks great on paper! But that clip probably tells you everything you need to know about Luke in the AFL.

Tough player who puts his body on the line. Will dominate the VFL. Will be a very solid 'in case of emergency' option. But will also make you rip your hair out in frustration in key moments. For us: the liklihood of him hitting a Saints player on the chest only increase with him wearing a Demons jumper

Last edited:
Wish they’d just tell us so we can move on 😂

Kelly signed for 3 years at Bombers and Adelaide got 3rd round compo
Chol signed for 4 years and Tigers got end of 2nd round compo
Third round compo is the lowest amount... below that you get nothing.

I know size of salary also counts but I cant imagine Chol being on big bucks. GC have salary cap issues and he wanted to move home and get more oportunity.. didnt seem a move for money. Kelly also wanted to move home rather than look for a big contract.

So if Dunstan signed for 3 years (unlikely) we may well get a 3rd rounder
If he signed 2 years we will likely get nothing

Kelly signed for 3 years at Bombers and Adelaide got 3rd round compo
Chol signed for 4 years and Tigers got end of 2nd round compo
Third round compo is the lowest amount... below that you get nothing.

I know size of salary also counts but I cant imagine Chol being on big bucks. GC have salary cap issues and he wanted to move home and get more oportunity.. didnt seem a move for money. Kelly also wanted to move home rather than look for a big contract.

So if Dunstan signed for 3 years (unlikely) we may well get a 3rd rounder
If he signed 2 years we will likely get nothing

Pretty sure its salary per year, rather than contract length or total contract value that determines any compensation (amongst other factors like age, etc)

Last edited:
Pretty sure its salary per year, rather than contract length or total contract value that determines any compensation (amongst other factors like age, etc)
It’s a mixture of everything. It’s basically whatever the hell the AFL decides. There’s no set matrix or formula they use.

It’s basically Contract length and Salary as the primary factor, followed by Age and and pick they were drafted at/accolades such as Bnf, AA, Brownlow etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back