EDFL Div 1 Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of hype down at the fog pre season and talk of finals appearances not sure what happened they have recruited and added depth but sitting in relegation position is a worry for the administration who have pencilled a finals series

Games pretty much went as predicted , well done to oak park getting so close to hillside
Yep Oak Park got within 5 points in the last but Covelli took a strong mark and goal to get it back out to 11. Oak Park Ronaldson had a chance to get it back to 5 very late but missed and Hillside hang on. Hillside very reliant on Covelli up forward but gee he took some strong grabs.

They’d be pretty happy down at Oakers with that result and how the year has been shaping up.
Were never a realistic chance for finals but have a great core and plenty of youth, expect them to get better as they adapt to the higher standard of footy throughout the season.

Could cause a few upsets if taken lightly

Cool story? Cause It doesn’t suit your argument? Fair enough. 🤦🏼‍♂️ Guys have stop playing due to the nature of our great game and where do we draw the line? We play a collision contact sport. Unfortunate incidents happen.
The game has changed and evolved over the years. And especially in the last 12 month around concussions, head knocks and front on contact. Either you have been hibernating under a rock or still think it’s 1980. A player was knocked out from front on contact no one has said the contact was made with any malice. Nor does a head high bump or front on contact need to be made with malice. It was made clear how it would and should be treated via an umpire decision and tribunal hearing. And in this case the tribunal has let was has been set in the last 12 months go. And not protected the player winning the ball and having his head over the ball not playing for the free kick. Unfortunate incidents are still reportable and should be suspended as the player committing them has the choice to make a better decision.

A lot of hype down at the fog pre season and talk of finals appearances not sure what happened they have recruited and added depth but sitting in relegation position is a worry for the administration who have pencilled a finals series
Watched a few games of them , I think they should be more worried about relegation than finals . They fumble and turn it over alot with poor disposal. They don’t have any strong key backs to hold the opposition. Their forward line is good though and can score easily .

Was surprised OP did so well v HS.

Watched the game this morning OP really took it up to them. Hit the post 3 times in 1st qtr. 1st time I’ve seen Jedd Taylor play very impressive. OP did really well in centre clearances.

Hillside mids not as influential as I’ve seen previously. Failla was lively forward, Shaw solid in defence & Pettigrove’s run important down back.

Tulla & OP definitely capable of upsets & out of relegation battle I think.

I decided to head out to Hillside vs Oak Park. Actually a pretty good contest. Oak park we’re better then I thought. And Hillside rely heavily on Covelli.

I think Oak Park will throw everything at Craigeburn this week before there bye and knock them off.

Covelli reliance doesn't feel sustainable in finals, especially at Highgate.

Covelli reliance doesn't feel sustainable in finals, especially at Highgate.
Watched him against Craigieburn for the first time in the flesh, and thought what an “un-athletic” looking player!
But, by christ he uses his (big!) body well and what a great grab!.. Think he kicked a lazy 6 that day…. Amazing!
Reminds me of a certain Darryl Bissett that played for Marby years back..

Watched him against Craigieburn for the first time in the flesh, and thought what an “un-athletic” looking player!
But, by christ he uses his (big!) body well and what a great grab!.. Think he kicked a lazy 6 that day…. Amazing!

No doubt about any of that. Just doesn't feel over reliance on him on a massive deck is wise.

Don't think that's a knock on him or them.

It’s an interesting one… I would have thought you’d have an athletic smart defender on him…. Sit 1-2 metres between him and the goal… spoil and then run off him.

Most defenders would be best off to not get in a wrestling situation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the limited time I saw him, he has a brilliant read of the play (and the ball) Positions himself before defenders even realise it’s there.. One on one very hard to matchup

The damage that bloke could do fully fit. Terrific fella too.

Agreed. Ripping bloke. Cops stick over the fence every time but happy to have a beer and laugh after the game

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep, when he was at Burnside they played a practice match against us in Ballarat.
IIRC he didn't play but was happy to have a chat with our guys after the match & share some knowledge on body use etc.
When no one would have held it against him if he were to just jump in the car & head back into town - it left a good impression.

It’s an interesting one… I would have thought you’d have an athletic smart defender on him…. Sit 1-2 metres between him and the goal… spoil and then run off him.

Athletic, Smart defender - How many of them are in B Grade?

great player but he only leads to his left side or straight ahead as zero ability to change direction. Play him from behind he will simply stop and hold his position whilst he bear hugs a chest mark. I would suggest playing a metre in front of him to his left side and making body contact when trying to cut across his path with speed.
Once he has body contact and there is no movement of feet by both players he wins 85% of that type of contest.
Got to admit l love watching him play.

great player but he only leads to his left side or straight ahead as zero ability to change direction. Play him from behind he will simply stop and hold his position whilst he bear hugs a chest mark. I would suggest playing a metre in front of him to his left side and making body contact when trying to cut across his path with speed.
Once he has body contact and there is no movement of feet by both players he wins 85% of that type of contest.
Got to admit l love watching him play.
Seen defenders take the front space numerous times on him, with mixed results. The fact is Josh loses way more contests than he wins every week, gets run off on and exploited to a degree, but kick it to his advantage it’s game over and he is the best kick for goal in all three divisions. That’s his value, don’t worry too much about what he can’t do, his job his goals and he is an expert at his trade. He needs to be fit at the pointy end for the Sharks to win it, different match up playing on Dane Lucas, Scott Clarke or Brandon Coletta

Seen defenders take the front space numerous times on him, with mixed results. The fact is Josh loses way more contests than he wins every week, gets run off on and exploited to a degree, but kick it to his advantage it’s game over and he is the best kick for goal in all three divisions. That’s his value, don’t worry too much about what he can’t do, his job his goals and he is an expert at his trade. He needs to be fit at the pointy end for the Sharks to win it, different match up playing on Dane Lucas, Scott Clarke or Brandon Coletta
my main point is really to force him into what you define as ^ dont worry too much about what he cant do^. He is way too comfortable when he is played from behind.

Kicked 7-8 goals on Lucas either last season or one before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back