EDFL Premier Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

On another subject when was the last time the western jets boys or girls were any good in the scheme of ladder positions. Been ordinary for a very long time. Why? Well once again I see the select a lot of kids from specific clubs and don’t look for gems in other clubs in the areas they have. I see a lot of boys & girls from keilor. What a joke the jets still are in the scheme of the AFL pathway for kids. They always look at specific clubs like Keilor, Willy juniors, etc. Back in the days Sexton was employed with the Jets and it’s still happening. Go out to the Laverton, Sunshine’s, etc and find a diamond that is better than some kid picked purely as his from keilor for example.

Now this gets me to local level and the reason why clubs like Keilor rape other clubs juniors with the promise of things. Then it rolls through to senior footy numbers through 18s and then senior 1 pointers..AFL Vic muppets sit on the hands and drink coffees instead of trying to fix the situation and work for their pay checks. Western Jets have always had lazy incompetent people to easy manipulated instead of going and looking beyond there 3-4 clubs they tend to work with.
If there is more than 3-4 players from a selected local club at a Coates league side the system is failing! The clubs 4-5 best won’t be better than some kid trying his heart out at a club that never gets looked at by these AFL employed donkeys. He would beat the other kid one out in a drill.

My Monday rant.

To make Jets/Cannons it’s always been a case of “who ya know” or who “Daddy knows” when it comes to being picked..
Unless you’re an out and out superstar, you have no hope without having connections..
agree. Recruiters only go what certain clubs. Which means they will see a kid 4-5 times a year to impress. The only way a kid gets noticed from other clubs is if they happen to play well against one to the top clubs the recruiter is watching.

Back in the day there use to be 120-140 kids try out. Now it’s less than half that.
But the under 18 system is dying anyway. School footy has taken over and you need to play in those elite footy comps to get noticed these days.

agree. Recruiters only go what certain clubs. Which means they will see a kid 4-5 times a year to impress. The only way a kid gets noticed from other clubs is if they happen to play well against one to the top clubs the recruiter is watching.

Back in the day there use to be 120-140 kids try out. Now it’s less than half that.
But the under 18 system is dying anyway. School footy has taken over and you need to play in those elite footy comps to get noticed these days.
Hence my views mate that they need to sack those muppets and employ good people to look outside the square. Some obviously take payments or gifts to allow that to happen and we all know it. AFL have heaps of $$ so pay the right people. I’m sure a kid at Laverton or Sunshine Heights or East Sunbury for example goes well and better than the 4-8th best at a keilor for example but gets overlooked.
Cannons bit more professional but western jets are a big joke..

On another subject when was the last time the western jets boys or girls were any good in the scheme of ladder positions. Been ordinary for a very long time. Why? Well once again I see the select a lot of kids from specific clubs and don’t look for gems in other clubs in the areas they have. I see a lot of boys & girls from keilor. What a joke the jets still are in the scheme of the AFL pathway for kids. They always look at specific clubs like Keilor, Willy juniors, etc. Back in the days Sexton was employed with the Jets and it’s still happening. Go out to the Laverton, Sunshine’s, etc and find a diamond that is better than some kid picked purely as his from keilor for example.

Now this gets me to local level and the reason why clubs like Keilor rape other clubs juniors with the promise of things. Then it rolls through to senior footy numbers through 18s and then senior 1 pointers..AFL Vic muppets sit on the hands and drink coffees instead of trying to fix the situation and work for their pay checks. Western Jets have always had lazy incompetent people to easy manipulated instead of going and looking beyond there 3-4 clubs they tend to work with.
If there is more than 3-4 players from a selected local club at a Coates league side the system is failing! The clubs 4-5 best won’t be better than some kid trying his heart out at a club that never gets looked at by these AFL employed donkeys. He would beat the other kid one out in a drill.

My Monday rant.
Western Jets Girls won the premiership in 2022.

Williamstown Juniors have a large number of girls in the Jets' squad because they were a 20 goal better team than the other 5 clubs in the WRFL under 18.5s in 2023. Only Point Cook Centrals got close to beating the Seagulls last year. All of the elite talent from all 6 clubs in the WRFL under 18.5 girls were invited to the preseason camp to try out for the Jets under 18s girls' teams. (The 6 teams in the u18s last year were Willy Jnrs, Point Cook, Point Cook Centrals, Spotswood/Newport Power, Caroline Springs and Flemington Juniors).

Clubs like Laverton and Sunshine do not have girls teams above u12s, so their players have to change clubs to continue to play. That is one reason why clubs like Willy, Newport Power, Caroline Springs, Yarraville Seddon and Point Cook have multiple girls in the Jets.

Without naming names, every one of those teams have multiple girls who started at different clubs but had to move to continue their football dream. Many of them from Altona Juniors who didn't have an under 18 girls team despite winning the under 16 premiership the year before, forcing their girls to change clubs to continue playing.

I am not involved with the EDFL, nor do I closely follow any boys teams in the WRFL, so I don't know if this also applies to those comps. But i do know that the Jets send scouts to as many games as they can - I know one of the guys who scouted the girls games and he was at more than 50% of our games last year. Another salient point is that sometimes young girls or boys just aren't interested in playing at a higher level, and don't accept their invite to the Jets' tryout camps. One girl at my daughter's club is an absolute superstar (top 5 in league B&F) but just plays footy for fun and wants to pursue a career elsewhere so turned down the Jets' invitation.

I would be very surprised if there was a "diamond in the rough" out there that hadn't been identified by other clubs, the WRFL or EDFL, or the Jets or Cannons.

I understand your rant TM, but sometimes there are other things at play when players who you think should be selected for higher honours are neglected. I was confused and annoyed when my daughter's best friend was overlooked but she just plays footy for fun and wants a career in health care.

My Monday rant.
The big EDFL clubs are a protected species, EDFL rejected PEGS entering the junior comp due to fear of over saturating the comp, yet approved 2 new clubs in the outer suburbs (Dallas and Merrifield) and not a peep was heard about it before it was announced. Junior clubs should be restricted to 2 teams per age group, and not allowed to push little Johnny who lives next to the ground to their 3rd or 4th side while they bring in a kid from 5 suburbs over into their 1st team.

The big EDFL clubs are a protected species, EDFL rejected PEGS entering the junior comp due to fear of over saturating the comp, yet approved 2 new clubs in the outer suburbs (Dallas and Merrifield) and not a peep was heard about it before it was announced. Junior clubs should be restricted to 2 teams per age group, and not allowed to push little Johnny who lives next to the ground to their 3rd or 4th side while they bring in a kid from 5 suburbs over into their 1st team.
I believe the EDFL Board accepted PEGS. However the vocal minority 31% have protected their cas$h cows, junior sides. The 31% couldn’t care less about the players or their families it was all about maxing out allowable junior participants. Who is protecting the silent 69% from the vocal 31%???
How many of the 69% are running around in a 3rd or 4th team from the 31%. I’m all for anyone trying to better themselves however this has gone beyond the pub test. So when the 31% cry about EXISTING clubs like PEGS & StB, maybe the 69% will say what about A, K, SM, G, MP, EK etc.The EDFL should be governing for the majority.
Or maybe as one parent said I don’t care if my kid can’t get a game it’s all brand alignment.
Anyway there is little the 69% can do when the 31% have rats on the inside.

Hey Horse, weren't you a recruiter for the Jets once?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Western Jets Girls won the premiership in 2022.

Williamstown Juniors have a large number of girls in the Jets' squad because they were a 20 goal better team than the other 5 clubs in the WRFL under 18.5s in 2023. Only Point Cook Centrals got close to beating the Seagulls last year. All of the elite talent from all 6 clubs in the WRFL under 18.5 girls were invited to the preseason camp to try out for the Jets under 18s girls' teams. (The 6 teams in the u18s last year were Willy Jnrs, Point Cook, Point Cook Centrals, Spotswood/Newport Power, Caroline Springs and Flemington Juniors).

Clubs like Laverton and Sunshine do not have girls teams above u12s, so their players have to change clubs to continue to play. That is one reason why clubs like Willy, Newport Power, Caroline Springs, Yarraville Seddon and Point Cook have multiple girls in the Jets.

Without naming names, every one of those teams have multiple girls who started at different clubs but had to move to continue their football dream. Many of them from Altona Juniors who didn't have an under 18 girls team despite winning the under 16 premiership the year before, forcing their girls to change clubs to continue playing.

I am not involved with the EDFL, nor do I closely follow any boys teams in the WRFL, so I don't know if this also applies to those comps. But i do know that the Jets send scouts to as many games as they can - I know one of the guys who scouted the girls games and he was at more than 50% of our games last year. Another salient point is that sometimes young girls or boys just aren't interested in playing at a higher level, and don't accept their invite to the Jets' tryout camps. One girl at my daughter's club is an absolute superstar (top 5 in league B&F) but just plays footy for fun and wants to pursue a career elsewhere so turned down the Jets' invitation.

I would be very surprised if there was a "diamond in the rough" out there that hadn't been identified by other clubs, the WRFL or EDFL, or the Jets or Cannons.

I understand your rant TM, but sometimes there are other things at play when players who you think should be selected for higher honours are neglected. I was confused and annoyed when my daughter's best friend was overlooked but she just plays footy for fun and wants a career in health care.
The WRFL age group change from u16 girls to U15s in 2023 and then back to u16s this season, killed off any hope Altona had of getting an u18 girls team up the last two years.

Find it a bit odd we have u18 games in a few days yet there is still no fixture out. Surely clubs have submitted teams to the league by now. If some are still pushing for a team or a second team at this late stage, let it go.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Find it a bit odd we have u18 games in a few days yet there is still no fixture out. Surely clubs have submitted teams to the league by now. If some are still pushing for a team or a second team at this late stage, let it go.

Surely not giving up is the better option 🤦‍♂️

fixture was just out for a few minutes but now taken off

Hearing some news out of Lebanon reserve that McKernan has been accepted into Fire Rescue Victoria, and will be N/A for 6-8weeks. Any truth to this?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back