EDFL Premier Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I can’t see DP being last as there list has to much talent. However I was surprised to see Quick leave in the pre season as he was at DP for a long time. Did he know something?
They also have lost Greenwood who was a huge out.

Where has Greenwood gone?

Todd Elton is a massive out as well. They are a very different looking team to 2023.

The EK supporters have been doing this for years, they use to have permits to sell from there, the beverages were from the club bar and all profits went back to the club. Not sure if that’s still the situation but couldn’t see why that would change.

Surely clubs know by now that spending big bucks to buy premierships with a multi-player turnover model doesn’t work. Need to sign players who will stay around for minimum 5-8 years and also feed juniors into the senior levels early (whether to play or train only until ready) so you have a good mix.
You need competent coaches with good football knowledge, good people skills and who care about the WHOLE club, and you can’t sack coaches every 1-2 years.
Need to get systems in place with the Reserves, U18 and U16 following a similar direction to seniors.
Continuity over several years is a better and more successful model and wont cost as much.

The so called big 3-4 can be beaten. Just get it right, it takes time. Get better not bitter"...

You've stated the blatant obvious. Reality is, you "Need" an army of volunteers(competent) to even get this started, these people don't grow on trees... Open your eye's Champ , you sound like those gooses who tell Homeless people to get off the street , or an unemployed Person to get a Job... It's not that simple... I understand it's only your opinion but it's a terrible one!!!

The EK supporters have been doing this for years, they use to have permits to sell from there, the beverages were from the club bar and all profits went back to the club. Not sure if that’s still the situation but couldn’t see why that would change.

Surely clubs know by now that spending big bucks to buy premierships with a multi-player turnover model doesn’t work. Need to sign players who will stay around for minimum 5-8 years and also feed juniors into the senior levels early (whether to play or train only until ready) so you have a good mix.
You need competent coaches with good football knowledge, good people skills and who care about the WHOLE club, and you can’t sack coaches every 1-2 years.
Need to get systems in place with the Reserves, U18 and U16 following a similar direction to seniors.
Continuity over several years is a better and more successful model and wont cost as much.

The so called big 3-4 can be beaten. Just get it right, it takes time. Get better not bitter.
Yes your correct in theory but what irks me is years ago you get find a coach (possibly a young one) who might bring 4-5 mates or close contacts to join him and they could stay for years and build a club and juniors as you say, however the points system killed that method.
We all know that the bigger clubs with high junior numbers were instrumental in pushing this points system through as others were making moves and the bigger clubs were a bit worried. People in high places just ruining other clubs..
For example - How long can a club like Keilor Park continue on as they have no juniors. We all know Keilor are waiting for them to go under to assume the facilities as a second ground. Why try and stick the knife in instead of helping. If EK have lost junior numbers where have they all moved to??? Where have the kids from KP, APW gone?? I would like to see the edfl do some research on this as a starting point.

Yes your correct in theory but what irks me is years ago you get find a coach (possibly a young one) who might bring 4-5 mates or close contacts to join him and they could stay for years and build a club and juniors as you say, however the points system killed that method.
We all know that the bigger clubs with high junior numbers were instrumental in pushing this points system through as others were making moves and the bigger clubs were a bit worried. People in high places just ruining other clubs..
For example - How long can a club like Keilor Park continue on as they have no juniors. We all know Keilor are waiting for them to go under to assume the facilities as a second ground. Why try and stick the knife in instead of helping. If EK have lost junior numbers where have they all moved to??? Where have the kids from KP, APW gone?? I would like to see the edfl do some research on this as a starting point.
There are currently 10-15 kids playing at st Bernard’s that pervious played EK.
Reason I’ve been hearing has been because of the president and the goings on at the club. Not sure if true.

Reason I’ve been hearing has been because of the president and the goings on at the club. Not sure if true.
Heard the same thing. Neighbour has kids playing at ek and mentioned that a very large number of parents took their kids out and left solely because of the president

With all respect intended, the system was introduced across the state to encourage sustainable practices, it isn't without its flaws but it certainly wasn't introduced to ensure the status quo remained in the EDFL.

Im just intersted who Carl? does have relevance, If its Shane Jennings from the 2's its a bit different to a senior player etc
Don’t know a shane Jennings .. still doesn’t matter what player leaves they are still players leaving .. seems you have take it a bit personal ..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This has been going on for years as well. Especially St Bernard’s selling the line of attending school here/ play here and when they had 19’s cause kids didn’t want to play seniors at that age in EDFL

Turbo, I would love to have a beer with you and chew the fat with your strong opinions one day. Whilst I believe some of what you post around what the strong junior clubs do is not correct and throwing generalisations out there, you are very passionate about trying to even the competition which is what needs to happen in some way in the future, but will take many years unfortunately. The EDFL don't appear to be doing anything or willing to go against AFL VIC to better the EDFL short and long term and small junior clubs will take years to grow their junior programs / teams per age group, if they can actually support junior team growth at their clubs as some may not be able to for various reasons.
I would like your opinion on what you would like the strong senior / junior Premier clubs to do in Keilor, Strathmore, Aberfeldie and Pascoe Vale seem to be heading in same direction. For the sake of the conversation, lets assume these clubs don't pouch other juniors as other juniors may just look / want to go to these strong clubs for various reasons without any direct recruiting from these clubs. Let's assume these clubs don't pay junior players or reduce fees for specific junior players to come to these clubs (Why would they need to) and let's assume their senior coaches are not driving around to other clubs or Jets/Cannons convincing players to come to their club.
What would you like these clubs to actually do from 2025 onwards
Do you actually think a business or a club is going to or should want to become less successful?
Let's hopefully have a fair open minded discussion Turbo if you are happy to, as this is such an interesting and important topic.
Exactly right. Should successful clubs purposefully be less successful in order to stop the whining from less successful clubs supporters? The entire idea of competition, at any level and in any endeavour, is to be the best you can be, both at a personal and organisational level. Perhaps, those that want a tighter competition should be looking at the successful clubs and trying to emulate their methods instead of complaining that they are being left behind. Strathmore/Keilor/Abers etc are successful because they have, first and foremost, a strong, well run and methodical organisational plan and secondly, commitees and volunteers that are united behind that plan. Success comes from spending your energy and resources doing doing things that create positivity. Complaining that its not fair others have success is negativity, and that breeds failure.

What a load of bulltish. Bigger clubs didn't pursue the points system. It has a long history of origin and was bought in in nearly every competition in 2016 as part of AFL Victoria's sustainability plan. Whether it's improving sustainability is a matter of conjecture, but saying the big clubs were instrumental in bringing it into being is false. The problem with opinions is they are usually emotive and rarely based on fact.

Jets list…
Good junior representation across clubs? (Not!)

Under-18 Boys

Hussein Kadour (East Keilor)
Noah Asciak (Hillside)
Lachlan Fitzgerald (Keilor)
Lucca Grego (Keilor)
Miller Harvey (Keilor)
Astin Hewell (Keilor)
Aidan Hobson (Keilor)
Kade Long (Keilor)
Blair Marsden (Keilor)
Keighton Matofai-Forbes(Keilor)
Lachie McArthur (Keilor)
Thomas McGuane (Keilor)
Noah McMenamin (Keilor)
Christian Olivieri (Keilor)
Massimo Raso (Keilor)
Darcy Weeks (Keilor)
Lachlan Fazzolari (Keilor)
I dont play for Keilor they got that wrong somehow. I play for Pascoe Vale. The Calder Cannons are within the edfl catchment area normally so its only keilor players from the edfl pretty much that are within the area for the Jets.

At the completion of round 3 it is apparent that the loss of Luke Goater, Bailey Morrish & Kane Testa from the Deer Park line up has cruelled them of what would have almost certainly been a premiership in their first year of Premier League. Nothing I have seen from Keilor, Greenvale or Pascoe Vale would suggest they would have beaten a full strength Deer Park line up. Further to this I see very little difference in standard between wrfl & edfl and would go as far to say that unless the edfl has fallen away then the flags that Deer Park won in the wrfl would have been a lot harder to win than any edfl premier flag in the corresponding period. The amount of ex afl in the wrfl over the period would be reflective of the standard being higher than edfl. EDFL is certainly a softer competition and that is evident by the impact the small forwards seem to make in the edfl. If Keilor is the yardstick with 4 flags in 20 years as a fully professional outfit with a huge junior program then it doesn't say much for the rest of the competition. The edfl should be thankful that Deer Park has brought some spectator power to the edfl because greenvale & Pascoe Vale have 2 cats and a dog for support.
The Comedy Festival is over big fella...

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I heard the entire team had payments withheld or a percentage reduction.
I don’t know about players leaving.
Only 2 players payments were cut in half and walked out,believe an asst coach has been moved on,pat put his fist through a wall immediately after the game,believe one of the silvangis not happy along with quick & Tyson old.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back