Preview Elimination Final vs Richmond Tigers @ the Gabba, Thu Sep 1 7:20 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
and leave out Ah Chee? still seems like a blunder to me. Ah Chee is one of our best pressure players and is so tough to beat one-on-one.

Ah Chee has done best when used as a utility and has not been consistently up to it when used at the back.

He has been pretty good in recent games relatively, but we are talking about a guy who plays mostly as a winger and has averaged 12 disposals a game. He does not offer a great deal offensively and personally I wouldn't mind see others get the chances he has gotten.

Are you really suggesting now that it is the pointy end of the season McStay is not going to give his all for the chance to be part of a premiership team. Not on your nelly will he be doing anything else but going all in. Get off you bandwagon with your dislike of Mcstay
I'm expecting McStay to be up and about for this game, could be his last game in maroon, blue and gold.

Brining in Wilmot instead of Dev Robertson for an elimination final just screams coaching blunder, again. Dev played in last years semi - experience will be so important.

Worth more than a like. We can cover Answerth with AhChee, and the benefits of having Dev in the mid rotation far out weigh the defensive matchups.

My excitement level for this (finals) match is hovering between zero and one.

Still a few sleeps to go, but prior to the game I doubt it will get above 2.

“Their strength is also their weakness. Joe Daniher, Eric Hipwood, Dan McStay, Charlie Cameron, Lincoln McCarthy loom as really dangerous, but they don’t defend.”

Charlie and Linc run all day long. McCarthy finished second in the league for pressure scores (when he forces a turnover).

The only player I’ve never seen chase a player is Daniher. His attitude stinks when he doesn’t get his way up forward.

“Their strength is also their weakness. Joe Daniher, Eric Hipwood, Dan McStay, Charlie Cameron, Lincoln McCarthy loom as really dangerous, but they don’t defend.”

Charlie and Linc run all day long. McCarthy finished second in the league for pressure scores (when he forces a turnover).

The only player I’ve never seen chase a player is Daniher. His attitude stinks when he doesn’t get his way up forward.

He's literally chased a lot mate. He's a KPF and is playing through a shoulder injury. Lower your expectations...

Also Charlie Cameron has chased and hassled and pressured quite a bit this year and has also laid a lot of tackles in the forward 50.
Sometimes all on his own.

Last edited:
Also Charlie Cameron has chased and hassled and pressured quite a bit this year and has also laid a lot of tackles in the forward 50.
I agree. Cameron was AMAZING in this regard against St.Kilda when he didn’t have the ball. My main concern about Cameron is his tendency to end up ‘body on body’ in Finals where he gets monstered and where we expect him to play like a tall forward. We are going to be a lot better off if Daniher and Hipwood are truly competitive and Cameron can get loose.

He's literally chased a lot mate. He's a KPF and is playing through a shoulder injury. Lower your expectations...
If Daniher isn’t fit, should we be playing him? Is Fort a better option up forward?

The problem I find with Charlie is he’s a bit selective when he pressures or not. No doubt at his best he could, with his speed, be the best pressure small forward in the comp. There would be no argument to be made if he gave us that every week, 100% of the time.

Edit. Having said that I do agree. He has been a bit better in this regard this year I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ange Postecoglou is someone who has always instilled the right mindsets in his teams regardless of what country he coaches in/ what team he coaches. I just read this on SEN and just wish that our team could embody this method. (The celtics are unbeaten in their last 37 games - I remember he did something similar with the Roar also with unbeaten runs)

“It’s the team we want to be, it’s not just about the football we want to play,” Postecoglou said post-game on Sunday.

“It’s about the intent and we don’t want to be led by the scoreboard or whatever the circumstances of the game are.

“With respect to whether it’s the first or the last minute, or whether we’re winning or not, we want to play at a certain tempo and intensity"

Now with respect to our game, especially in 2022. We don't seem to be able to do this. Our defense is in shambles and our intensity does not seem to rise with our opposition's seizing of momentum. We stay on the back foot and really struggle to step up and match the other team.

I'd love Fagan to approach Postecoglou in the post season if we find ourselves with another early exit in this final series.

Ange Postecoglou is someone who has always instilled the right mindsets in his teams regardless of what country he coaches in/ what team he coaches. I just read this on SEN and just wish that our team could embody this method. (The celtics are unbeaten in their last 37 games - I remember he did something similar with the Roar also with unbeaten runs)

“It’s the team we want to be, it’s not just about the football we want to play,” Postecoglou said post-game on Sunday.

“It’s about the intent and we don’t want to be led by the scoreboard or whatever the circumstances of the game are.

“With respect to whether it’s the first or the last minute, or whether we’re winning or not, we want to play at a certain tempo and intensity"

Now with respect to our game, especially in 2022. We don't seem to be able to do this. Our defense is in shambles and our intensity does not seem to rise with our opposition's seizing of momentum. We stay on the back foot and really struggle to step up and match the other team.

I'd love Fagan to approach Postecoglou in the post season if we find ourselves with another early exit in this final series.

Poestcoglou is a great coach and it would be great to have him sit down with people at our club to share some ideas.

I think we should be open to bringing in lots of different voices over the off season.

I agree. Cameron was AMAZING in this regard against St.Kilda when he didn’t have the ball. My main concern about Cameron is his tendency to end up ‘body on body’ in Finals where he gets monstered and where we expect him to play like a tall forward. We are going to be a lot better off if Daniher and Hipwood are truly competitive and Cameron can get loose.
I am not sure it is an ‘expectation’ as much as him just playing that way.
When Charlie is at his best he is leading up at the ball.
Or with the ball over the back and tries to burn off his opponents running back to goal, but I think sometimes he plays a little too deep to pull this off and the kick gets picked off more often than not.

I wonder if Richmond will consider stretching our defense by playing Balta as a tall and then having Dusty play as a small/medium forward. If thats the case we may need Prior in the back to handle Dusty as I think Ah Chee (and Lohman) would be too undersized to handle Dusty. I wouldnt want to move Starc off Bolton and would consider having him play a full field run with role including following him into the middle.

I am not sure it is an ‘expectation’ as much as him just playing that way.
When Charlie is at his best he is leading up at the ball.
Or with the ball over the back and tries to burn off his opponents running back to goal, but I think sometimes he plays a little too deep to pull this off and the kick gets picked off more often than not.
i feel like he nailed the sweet spot with this against a quality opponent when he had the saad matchup. was catching saad off for the slightest lack of respect and also harassing saad really well when he was trying to rebound

In fairness to Joe, he is not a small defensive forward and given his size and body shape he does as much as can be reasonably expected…I’m not sure Alastair Lynch did much more.

You do realise he's a small back unlike those you mention.

Fort has been one of best in the VFL but wete not bringing him in to play as a small back
Ah Chee and Lester are small backs Prior who’s also in the team and can play defensive run is needed more than a player who doesn’t defend he’s opponent at VFL level imagine him on Bolton Cumberland or Dusty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back