Society/Culture Elon Musk - Takeover of Twitter?

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are you against the reduction of online grooming, in practice?

Why is this issue important to you, in the Elon Musk thread?
I'm not against it. I don't believe it can be stopped using an 'eSafety commissioner'. If you don't want your kids to be groomed, don't give them unrestricted access to the internet, don't let them play video games with online chat components, and keep them off social media as long as possible.

I've been opposed to internet censorship since Conroy first tried to push it through.

Thankfully tech companies are based in the US where their first amendment means things like end-to-end encryption cannot be made illegal (unlike the UK which tried to ban it last year). Australian governments are idiots when it comes to technology which is why we have something like an 'eSafety commissioner' and a mediocre tech sector.

So you are opposed to Apartheid Clyde censoring cisgender on twitter?

Thankfully tech companies are based in the US where their first amendment means things like end-to-end encryption cannot be made illegal
Not correct from what I can see.

Fed gov could amend existing laws and make platform providers liable for messages sent by information providers (users).

End to end is then against the law.

I'm not against it. I don't believe it can be stopped using an 'eSafety commissioner'. If you don't want your kids to be groomed, don't give them unrestricted access to the internet, don't let them play video games with online chat components, and keep them off social media as long as possible.

We should also not let them go to pedophiles houses, or be near murderers so as to stop all those crimes too.

Not correct from what I can see.

Fed gov could amend existing laws and make platform providers liable for messages sent by information providers (users).

End to end is then against the law.
That doesn't make end-to-end encryption against the law, it makes platform owners liable for communications. Encryption is protected by the first amendment because encryption itself is a form of speech. There have been court cases to determine this in the US.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're not advocating for a pre-emptive anti-murder commissioner though.

What's pre-emptive? No one is being charged here.

The esafety commission does a number of things beyond arguing with Elon musk about stabbing content. A lot of it is around child safety, so giving education to young people (who may not have tech or social media savvy parents), reporting avenues for young children, and regulatory framework that requires platforms to do things like; remove bullying content within 24 hours of request, take down harmful content within 24 hours, take down intimate images within 24 hours.

All our major media outlets are subject to regulations and requirements around what they can show and when. They're required to abide by a number of laws in doing so.

Why should online content outlets be exempt from this?

If your 16 year old had shared nudes that were being published on social media platforms would you; tell them they shouldn't have done it but do nothing, or contact content providers and ask for the content to be removed?

If your 16 year old had shared nudes that were being published on social media platforms would you; tell them they shouldn't have done it but do nothing, or contact content providers and ask for the content to be removed?
I'm not going to be persuaded by appeals to emotions.

There is nothing about the event in Wakeley that makes it sufficient to be scrubbed from the internet.

What's pre-emptive? No one is being charged here.

The esafety commission does a number of things beyond arguing with Elon musk about stabbing content. A lot of it is around child safety, so giving education to young people (who may not have tech or social media savvy parents), reporting avenues for young children, and regulatory framework that requires platforms to do things like; remove bullying content within 24 hours of request, take down harmful content within 24 hours, take down intimate images within 24 hours.

All our major media outlets are subject to regulations and requirements around what they can show and when. They're required to abide by a number of laws in doing so.

There is no child pr0n on X and if there were the perpetrators would quickly be identified and arrested. You are creating some bizarre straw man to hate on Musk and argue against free speech

Good to see Australia's spy agency is on board, definitely a group to be trusted

Australia's chief spy says:

Privacy rights are ‘not absolute’​

Mr Burgess will insist he is seeking “lawful access solutions” to encrypted systems and not backdoor or systemic weaknesses that would break the internet. Nor will he say he wants new laws.

“I am asking the tech companies to do more,” he says. “I’m asking them to give effect to our existing powers and to uphold existing laws.

“I believe technology should not be above the rule of law … privacy is important but not absolute.

“If the threat, evidence, safeguards and oversights are strong enough for us to obtain a warrant, then they should be strong enough for the companies to help us give effect to that warrant.”

There is no child pr0n on X and if there were the perpetrators would quickly be identified and arrested. You are creating some bizarre straw man to hate on Musk and argue against free speech
Type the word "cis" on Twitter and the tweet gets buried. Is that free speech?

I'm not going to be persuaded by appeals to emotions.

There is nothing about the event in Wakeley that makes it sufficient to be scrubbed from the internet.

But you were arguing the esafety commission does nothing? They're the avenue through which, for example, a parent can get their teenage child's nudes removed from social media platforms.

Why is there no child pr0n? Is it because no one has it to share, or there's limitations on what can be shared on there so those that do get blocked?

Also pretty sure there's numerous reported instances of child pr0n on all social media platforms, so it's not as though people aren't trying, and it's certainly not a straw man.

But you were arguing the esafety commission does nothing? They're the avenue through which, for example, a parent can get their teenage child's nudes removed from social media platforms.
How many times have they achieved this over what was the base rate of removal prior to their existence?

How many times have they achieved this over what was the base rate of removal prior to their existence?

No idea, I think sensible regulation of the online world is appropriate however. Certainly there's been a significant amount of harm done to young people online and burying your head in the sand and thinking they just won't use it is pretty unrealistic.

No idea, I think sensible regulation of the online world is appropriate however. Certainly there's been a significant amount of harm done to young people online and burying your head in the sand and thinking they just won't use it is pretty unrealistic.
For a government bureaucracy to exist it should prove its efficacy, and not scope creep. eSafety commissioner doing neither here

Remove this Banner Ad

Back