Society/Culture Elon Musk - Takeover of Twitter?

Remove this Banner Ad

If the Rodney King beatings happened in 2024 would people be happy for that to be banned from the internet and all news platforms? As decided by the government appointed commissioner?
That is state sanctioned violence on a citizen
This is a video of a teenager stabbing a priest
If you can't tell the difference between the two examples you should stop talking about this issue

That’s a very narrow take on a broad issue.

Are you really happy for a government offical “eSafety Commissioner” to tell you what you can and can’t watch?

If there is a video that hurt the current in power political party would you be ok with the “eSafety Commissioner” removing them?
Asking for videos of terror attacks to be removed from social media is nothing new and happened before the esafety office got setup

We're talking about a violent crime

The footage is being used to both encourage more attacks like this and to encourage attacks against Muslims

There's no good public service with this video being freely available on twitter

We don't need to see the footage to know that the attack occurred or details of the attack

James Patterson and his one man war on TikTok seems to have gone largely unnoticed throughout this hoo hah, the censorship of an entire platform would seem a little more concerning than a request to move less than a hundred posts.
The US omni bill is a ******* disgrace and the reporting on it from complicit media is a disgrace

Don't see Elon and his free speech fans railing against that though

Asking for videos of terror attacks to be removed from social media is nothing new and happened before the esafety office got setup

We're talking about a violent crime

The footage is being used to both encourage more attacks like this and to encourage attacks against Muslims

There's no good public service with this video being freely available on twitter

We don't need to see the footage to know that the attack occurred or details of the attack
That’s your view. I think the raw footage is important to prove to the greater public what happened. Or should we trust the media reports accurately on how they depict the events?

That is state sanctioned violence on a citizen
This is a video of a teenager stabbing a priest
If you can't tell the difference between the two examples you should stop talking about this issue
So why is this stabbing video not appropriate and say Rodney Kings beating would be? Both are violent attacks?

You think the government if they had the chance to censor such an attack wouldn’t? 😂😂😂😂

So why is this stabbing video not appropriate and say Rodney Kings beating would be? Both are violent attacks?

You think the government if they had the chance to censor such an attack wouldn’t? 😂😂😂😂
like I said if you can't tell the difference between the two scenarios you should stop talking about the subject

like I said if you can't tell the difference between the two scenarios you should stop talking about the subject
Fantastic deflection.

You can bet your bottom dollar they’d do everything to bury Rodney King style footage if possible. That’s the whole issue with this. You’re letting a government police what’s ok for the citizens eyes online.

Fantastic deflection.

You can bet your bottom dollar they’d do everything to bury Rodney King style footage if possible. That’s the whole issue with this. You’re letting a government police what’s ok for the citizens eyes online.
no its just clear that you're not interested in discussing the actual issue

the issue isn't that cops beat someone and the government is trying to cover it up

the issue is that a video of a terror attack is circulating on twitter and Musk wants to keep it doing that and you're defending that position

When the Christchurch attacks happened the guy live streamed it and the video got plastered all over social media

that was taken down off platforms including Twitter and when it pops back up its taken down again

I don't see people other than white supremacists crying about that

no its just clear that you're not interested in discussing the actual issue

the issue isn't that cops beat someone and the government is trying to cover it up

the issue is that a video of a terror attack is circulating on twitter and Musk wants to keep it doing that and you're defending that position

When the Christchurch attacks happened the guy live streamed it and the video got plastered all over social media

that was taken down off platforms including Twitter and when it pops back up its taken down again

I don't see people other than white supremacists crying about that
Should we censor the 9/11 attacks then? Far more people died that either of these attacks.

Absolutely I am defending that position because if you don’t think the government will eventually take advantage of this power you have far too much trust.

Should we censor the 9/11 attacks then? Far more people died that either of these attacks.

Absolutely I am defending that position because if you don’t think the government will eventually take advantage of this power you have far too much trust.
i like how you keep going back to things that were broadcast on the news as your examples instead of, you know, things that have already happened on social media previously without this uproar

like the Christchurch Massacre

The question you should be asking yourself isn't why is the government trying to get the stabbing video removed

its why is it acceptable for twitter to host it

what is the actual benefit of that video being online to the wider community

if you accept that things like CSAM should be removed as a default position, why is a video of a violent crime something that needs to be there for anyone to find?

i like how you keep going back to things that were broadcast on the news as your examples instead of, you know, things that have already happened on social media previously without this uproar

like the Christchurch Massacre

The question you should be asking yourself isn't why is the government trying to get the stabbing video removed

its why is it acceptable for twitter to host it

what is the actual benefit of that video being online to the wider community

if you accept that things like CSAM should be removed as a default position, why is a video of a violent crime something that needs to be there for anyone to find?
Well that’s exactly my point, they were spread without uproar but now the government seems hell bent on controlling this media.

l will take the odd inappropriate video like this than a world where the government filter what we can and can’t see constantly. It’s only a matter of time before it’s abused for political gain.

Well that’s exactly my point, they were spread without uproar but now the government seems hell bent on controlling this media.

l will take the odd inappropriate video like this than a world where the government filter what we can and can’t see constantly. It’s only a matter of time before it’s abused for political gain.
you're speaking in a lot of hypotheticals. "if" "when" "it will cause" "just wait for the government to do" instead of using actual, verifiable facts.

do we really need violent crimes being committed to be easily accessible for people? i guess you're against the movie rating board rating something like evil dead MA15+ because people under the age of 15 could just see it anyway, right? what about revenge pr0n? what about isis beheadings from back in the day?

do you think all questionable media should be kept uncensored on the internet?

If the Rodney King beatings happened in 2024 would people be happy for that to be banned from the internet and all news platforms? As decided by the government appointed commissioner?
The people who are currently rather anti-government surveilance were rather pro boots on necks when George Floyd was murdered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol you think they were shown without uproar?

not sure how old you were when either of those events happened but there was plenty of uproar

also if you think governments don't regulate the news I have a bridge to sell you

lol odd inappropriate video

love how you just refuse to acknowledge the christchurch massacre videos too

also the idea that because something was considered OK 20 years ago it should still be ok now is a pretty dumb one

it used to be considered ok to smoke around children

are the major news networks showing uncensored footage of stabbings to audiences that I am unaware of?

if not why is it ok for facebook or twitter or some other social media company to be showing that?

note my question is not about government overreach here, but the basic question about what should be considered acceptable of the platform itself

twitter is not an 18+ platform

you're speaking in a lot of hypotheticals. "if" "when" "it will cause" "just wait for the government to do" instead of using actual, verifiable facts.

There's nothing hypothetical about scope creep.

There's an irony here; the state has propagandised muslim hate for the last 20 years in order to other someone and win democracy, now it's trying to cool down the nuffies that have internalised that hate after some kid does a nuffie stabbing attempt, against a room temperature IQ preacher

Now we have more pov nuffies siding with a billionaire to veto the action of a state trying to correct itself slightly

You know if we weren't an oil based society that needed to piss about in the middle east none of this happens, the spice must flow

The government shouldn’t be regulating what we see on the internet. It’ll start with this and just continue until we are like China.
Elon is trying to be like China, he wants a overarching internet platform like wechat......without state control

The days of the internet being a free for all are long gone, it's been capitalised in the west and state capitalised in the east

That’s your view. I think the raw footage is important to prove to the greater public what happened. Or should we trust the media reports accurately on how they depict the events?
I'm an adult who is nearly impossible to offend and I dont want to scroll tweeter and have that video pop up

How can you not see that just shouldn't be published as a free for all. 10 year old kids will have seen that needlessly

There's middle ground between some moron public servant deciding what we see online and having needless and graphic violence online without filter

We should be very skeptical about the government having free rein about telling us what we are and aren’t allowed to view online.

It’s a free information platform that should be left that way for the most part
The corps banned GTA in 2014, the govt the trial of lady chaterly in '65

You're fighting a battle that was lost by your grandparents

lol you think they were shown without uproar?

not sure how old you were when either of those events happened but there was plenty of uproar

also if you think governments don't regulate the news I have a bridge to sell you

lol odd inappropriate video

love how you just refuse to acknowledge the christchurch massacre videos too

also the idea that because something was considered OK 20 years ago it should still be ok now is a pretty dumb one

it used to be considered ok to smoke around children

are the major news networks showing uncensored footage of stabbings to audiences that I am unaware of?

if not why is it ok for facebook or twitter or some other social media company to be showing that?

note my question is not about government overreach here, but the basic question about what should be considered acceptable of the platform itself

twitter is not an 18+ platform
Major News don’t show that content because we are well aware they’ll toe the line of their favoured political party. News don’t also show a lot of things as it’s heavily regulated.

How would you like be to acknowledge the Christchurch killings? I’ve seen the video and it’s readily available online still.

I'm an adult who is nearly impossible to offend and I dont want to scroll tweeter and have that video pop up

How can you not see that just shouldn't be published as a free for all. 10 year old kids will have seen that needlessly

There's middle ground between some moron public servant deciding what we see online and having needless and graphic violence online without filter
There is countless worse gore videos available for your 10 year old on unlimited areas of the internet. The stabbing video isn’t in the top 1000 worst videos I’ve ever seen.

There is countless worse gore videos available for your 10 year old on unlimited areas of the internet. The stabbing video isn’t in the top 1000 worst videos I’ve ever seen.
You need to go searching dodgy websites to find that, most people won't

Vastly different to it popping up as you scroll aimlessly on one of the most popular apps there is

love how people think the last defence against a slide into fascism is allowing a video of someone being stabbed to stay online lol

You really have an incredible ability to miss the big picture. This video means nothing, it's about the future of life under the rule of an all powerful unelected "e safety" commissioner

Or do you think once this case is over the E Safety commissioner is going to say "well mission is complete, time to retire now, goodbye friends"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back