Premier Lg EPL Matchday 2 - On Optus Sport

Premier League Football

Remove this Banner Ad

You can't dictate who can and who can't referee your game just because they've made a bad decision against you.
In the EPL, agree not just one game, and it’s an FA decision not a club decision of course, but if there emerges a perception of positive/negative bias then yes they do try to avoid.

I mentioned Mike Dean. Tranmere Rovers fan, so was directed away from Liverpool games mostly, only a handful of games in 20+ years of refereeing. And most of those were Merseyside derbies where he was considered a neutral. Apparently hated Arsenal.
Clattenburg was another who was seen to be a pro-Liverpool anti-Manchester referee.

Of course, there’s the clubs that referee support, which means they don’t referee those games, nor their rivals (eg Newcastle/Sunderland for Michael Oliver), or any other game for teams involved in a promotion/relegation battle with those teams.

In the EPL, agree not just one game, and it’s an FA decision not a club decision of course, but if there emerges a perception of positive/negative bias then yes they do try to avoid.

I mentioned Mike Dean. Tranmere Rovers fan, so was directed away from Liverpool games mostly, only a handful of games in 20+ years of refereeing. And most of those were Merseyside derbies where he was considered a neutral. Apparently hated Arsenal.
Clattenburg was another who was seen to be a pro-Liverpool anti-Manchester referee.

Of course, there’s the clubs that referee support, which means they don’t referee those games, nor their rivals (eg Newcastle/Sunderland for Michael Oliver), or any other game for teams involved in a promotion/relegation battle with those teams.
The perception is there because its promoted by people like Klopp.

IIRC the game he had a proper moan about Tierney in, he gave Liverpool a number of decisions that Klopp conveniently ignored.

IIRC Dean was kept away from Merseyside games (both sides) because he lived in Merseyside and was registered with their FA.

Was thinking the same yesterday, its got to be a chemistry thing.

I wonder too about their leadership, do they need a proper leader (Terry like without the shagging) to help gel everyone together a bit quicker.
I think Silva was great but him being out is really impacting things.
Apparently a Paul Tierney conspiracy. Nonsensical.
Indeed lol
You do remember only a couple of months ago the Skipp tackle on Jota which was far far more dangerous than Macalister’s, but not according to Tierney who was happy to not even show a yellow and VAR did not intervene?

This is not just a Liverpool thing - These are individual instances and every club has them, but we all know there are refs with history, biases, grudges and agendas - Mike Dean on Merseyside is one that comes to mind - given this incident being so recent then Tierney should not have been near a Liverpool game for a while.

View attachment 1781657
Change the channel Marge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still baffled Gillett didn't ask the ref to go to the monitor and look at the Partey intervention.

Interesting ending with the Gunners down to 10.
I'm baffled Gillet is still in the PL. It wasn't much in the block, don't think it affected anything

I'm baffled Gillet is still in the PL. It wasn't much in the block, don't think it affected anything
reverse angle showed shirt pull. Which in itself was soft.
Was also in an offside position and impeded the defender who was trying to track the player fouled.

He should have asked the ref to have a look himself, as there was a lot going on that could have been missed.
Let the ref decide.

As an aside, gestures of fake cards to referees, as he did with the Ayew VAR review is a yellow card offence.

reverse angle showed shirt pull. Which in itself was soft.
Was also in an offside position and impeded the defender who was trying to track the player fouled.

He should have asked the ref to have a look himself, as there was a lot going on that could have been missed.
Let the ref decide.

As an aside, gestures of fake cards to referees, as he did with the Ayew VAR review is a yellow card offence.
Arsenal team is quite full of moaners. Should have been at least two yellows, if not three.

The reverse angle on the Ayew one shows a slight shirt grab from tomiyasu

Would be amazed if that gets overturned.

Not that I don't disagree, I just don't see them reversing the decision. Don't think it's an obvious error.
Might be safer to overturn it to stop Klopp whinging about it for 3 weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back