Preview Essendon vs Adelaide, Docklands, Friday 23/03/18 @ 7:50 PM

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Observations

Essendon: Essendon went 1-1 in pre-season, losing to Richmond but defeating Geelong, but have been struck by a few injuries to potential first team players. Devon Smith impressed for the Dons in the two matches after being traded in a package that included pick 11, whilst the Package had an up and down time, but kicked a very good goal in JLT 2.

Adelaide: Adelaide also split their JLT games, defeating Fremantle first up but losing to cross town rivals Port Adelaide. Sam Gibson and Matt Crouch impressed in both games whilst Rory Atkins was also good, kicking 2 goals in the second JLT game for the 2017 runners up.

Head to Head (last 5)

Essendon 1-4 Adelaide

Form Guide

Essendon:
Adelaide:

Sportsbet odds

Essendon: $2.05
Adelaide: $1.78
Line: 5.5 ($1.92)

Possible sides

Essendon vs Adelaide

B: Mckenna- Hartley - McNiece
F: Milera - McGovern - Betts
HB: Ambrose - Hurley - Saad
HF: Lynch - Jenkins - Douglas
C: Parish - Stringer - Z Merrett
C: Atkins - Sloane - Seedsman
HF: McDonald-Tipungwuti - Daniher - Langford
HB: Laird - Talia - Gibson
F: Stewart - Hooker - Green
B: Doedee - Hartigan - Brown
R: Bellchambers - Goddard - Heppell
R: Jacobs - Crouch - Gibbs
I: McGrath - Myers - D Smith - Zaharakis
I: Crouch - Ellis-Yolmen - Kelly - Murphy

Adelaide defence vs Essendon forward line

Essendon's forward line was the highlight of the 2017 season, finishing 3rd in terms of overall goals/inside 50 ratio behind the two teams in Adelaide, with an efficiency rating of 28%. Adelaide's defence was solid without being spectacular, averaging a goal 25% of the time it entered defensive 50, around the middle of the table. With Talia potentially facing a one game suspension it would be a big blow, making it tough to decide whom to play on Joe Daniher, who kicked over 60 goals last season. Cale Hooker will have a good clash with the ever reliable Kyle Hartigan, the former kicking 40 goals last season and the latter also enjoying a good year. Tom Doedee and Luke Brown will have their hands full trying to contain James Stewart and Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, the pair kicking 55 goals between them last season.

Midfield/rucks battle

This is where Essendon need to show their improvement next season, given that's where they got spanked by Adelaide twice, as well as in the final, the Dons finishing 14th and 10th in clearance and contested possession differential respectively, whereas the Crows finished 4th and 6th in those statistics respectively. This is what Jake Stringer and Devon Smith have been recruited for, to bolster the midfield. However the Crows haven't been sitting idly by either, trading in former #1 draft pick Bryce Gibbs from Carlton. The big difference between the two clubs will be Adelaide's Rory Sloane and Crouch brothers as the starting midfielders compared to Essendon's Dyson Heppell, Zach Merrett and David Myers in all likelihood. The ruck battle will also be tilted in Adelaide's favour, Sam Jacobs being consistently in the top 5 (even top 3) for some time now, and even if Tom Bellchambers seems to finally be injury free, Jacobs will still have an advantage.

Adelaide forward line vs Essendon defence

Essendon's defence had an enjoyable 2017 for the most part despite being under extreme pressure most weeks, they had a very high defensive efficiency rating of 23% in the last season. Adelaide were the premier offensive side last season though, kicking a goal 29% it entered inside 50. The Crows may be missing Taylor Walker which makes it easier for the Dons, Michael Hurley likely to take Josh Jenkins whilst Michael Hartley will go head-to-head with Mitch McGovern. Paddy Ambrose is the perfect match for Tom Lynch, and Ben McNiece seems to have first crack at being the small defender, and will get a tough assignment first up in Eddie Betts, who has an excellent record against Essendon.

X-Factor Player

Wayne Milera is in his third year at Adelaide and whilst he's shown some talent throughout his time there it's time to have a serious impact this season. He could get 22 touches and 5 goals, or he could get 4 touches and 0.2.

Key stat

Essendon: Clearances. Need to win this for Essendon to have any chance of knocking off the Crows, and captain Dyson Heppell needs to lead the charge

Adelaide: Defensive efficiency. When Adelaide are on their back line just repels the ball from inside their defensive fifty.

Tip

Essendon play an attractive and entertaining game, but it's simply a case of Adelaide do that except to a higher standard. Crows by 27

My go at the team, don’t think it will change much from today’s game, I think Gleeson will be fine

Saad Ambrose Gleeson
Goddard Hurley McKenna
McGrath Heppell Zaharakis
Stringer Hooker Tipungwuti
Stewart Daniher Green
Bellchambers Zerrett Smith
Myers Parish Baguley Langford

Emg
McKernan, McNeice, Begley

My go at the team, don’t think it will change much from today’s game, I think Gleeson will be fine

Saad Ambrose Gleeson
Goddard Hurley McKenna
McGrath Heppell Zaharakis
Stringer Hooker Tipungwuti
Stewart Daniher Green
Bellchambers Zerrett Smith
Myers Parish Baguley Langford

Emg
McKernan, McNeice, Begley
I will be so angry if we play 2 key defenders against Adelaide again. Ambrose is literally the perfect match up for Lynch.

I will be so angry if we play 2 key defenders against Adelaide again. Ambrose is literally the perfect match up for Lynch.
I feel they will go with it despite not agreeing with it myself, Hartley and Brown I thought looked very poor against Richmond and despite being in the Hooker forward camp the last few years I’d easily prefer him back than gift either of those 2 a game.

I feel they will go with it despite not agreeing with it myself, Hartley and Brown I thought looked very poor against Richmond and despite being in the Hooker forward camp the last few years I’d easily prefer him back than gift either of those 2 a game.
Ambrose got hammered against Geelong. One poor praccy match shouldn't exclude any of them.

I reckon we'll be more competitive this time around against Adelaide. I think our midfield setup will be a lot better defensively than it was last year. He was a great player for us but Watson was a complete defensive liability and together with Heppell was just too slow. Now we are playing guys like Parish and McGrath who work both ways and have vastly better agility.

Whilst Adelaide have added to their midfield, they did it at the expense of one of their best defenders in Lever, plus one of the players that did a lot of damage to us in Cameron. Whereas Essendon have brought in 3 really handy players and I think Smith in particular is a big recruit for us and will play very high midfield minutes. If we get the ball into our forward line enough I'm confident we will kick a lot of goals. We need a big effort from Begley and Green because Tippa will probably get the Brown matchup who is a very good defender who shutdown Fantasia last year.

I want to see Merrett play head to head a bit more with some of the gun players of the comp. I'd play him on Sloane. Covers him for pace and will work defensively. They are a similar size and it just seems like it would be a great matchup.

Hi everyone. May the best team win

Just noticed the team posted, a few things. Not sure Milera plays as Pyke likes momentum and having some games under your belt. The team that played Yesterday is the most likely combination minus a few

This is my team based on the idea of JLT meaning something to some

B Brown - Talia - Doedee
HB Laird - Hartigan - Seedsman
C Atkins - Sloane - Mackay
HF Lynch - McGovern - Douglas
F Betts - Jenkins - Murphy
R Jacobs - Gibbs - M. Crouch

I Kelly - Ellis-Yolmen - Gibson - Fogarty

Edit: Did forget the Talia bump that might see a fine or a week. If he goes Keath may replace him or some shuffling and Otten might come back

Last edited:
Chance to make a statement against a likely top four team. If we're legit this season, we win this.

Time to hopefully put down an early-season marker that we mean business in 2018. Talia a good chance to be rubbed out tomorrow and Walker won't play R1. They won't be a full strength.

We certainly have a better team going into this one than we did the last time we played Adelaide. Merrett and Fantasia weren't playing. Oh wait :(

Not really expecting a win. Adelaide are much stronger than us in the midfield. Pretty hard to see us contain their forwardline with so much supply of the ball inside 50s.

Think Adelaide will win by about 15-30.

On the bright side, McGrath loves playing Adelaide. Averaged 26.5 disposals in 2 games against them.

Chance to make a statement against a likely top four team. If we're legit this season, we win this.

Time to hopefully put down an early-season marker that we mean business in 2018. Talia a good chance to be rubbed out tomorrow and Walker won't play R1. They won't be a full strength.

Will be huge for the club if we win this hoping for a similar performance like we did against the Hawks rd 1 last year.

Think you can rule out players who have not played in the JLT such as Walker, Brad Couch, & Milera... though the later is an outside chance as played in the sanfl side.

My side is similar to GreyCrow but positionally more like the JLT.

B: Brown, Hartigan, Doedee
HB: Douglas, Talia, Laird
C: Seedsman, Mrouch, Atkins
HF: Lynch, McGovern, Hampton
F: Betts, Jenkins, Fogerty
R: Jacobs, Sloane, Gibbs
I: Kelly, Ellis-Yolmen, Mackay, Murphy

Should be an attacking game on a fast deck.

Bring on the footy season! :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think you can rule out players who have not played in the JLT such as Walker, Brad Couch, & Milera... though the later is an outside chance as played in the sanfl side.

My side is similar to GreyCrow but positionally more like the JLT.

B: Brown, Hartigan, Doedee
HB: Douglas, Talia, Laird
C: Seedsman, Mrouch, Atkins
HF: Lynch, McGovern, Hampton
F: Betts, Jenkins, Fogerty
R: Jacobs, Sloane, Gibbs
I: Kelly, Ellis-Yolmen, Mackay, Murphy

Should be an attacking game on a fast deck.

Bring on the footy season! :)
Might be a good time to get you guys with Walker and Crouch out.

Might be a good time to get you guys with Walker and Crouch out.
Would definitely prefer them playing along with Knight & Milera... but they all missed except Milera in round 1 last year when we beat GWS... however, probably tips the game in your favour, as I gather you don't have any significant outs.

Would definitely prefer them playing along with Knight & Milera... but they all missed except Milera in round 1 last year when we beat GWS... however, probably tips the game in your favour, as I gather you don't have any significant outs.
Fantasia and Colyer are out and Gleeson is in doubt after being carried off today. Zaharakis also limped off. Fantasia is a big out.

Be interesting to see who they pick as the third tall defender it would not suprise me to see Dea get the gig seeing as he wouldn't be a bad for matchup for Lynch.

With Tex out probably unlikely we need to bring in Brown or Hartley.
Hurley can play on Jenkins, Ambrose to Lynch , Saad to Betts and I reckon BJ and Gleeson (let’s hope he gets up) can sort out the rest.

At this stage I’d go with;-

Ambrose Hurley Saad
Gleeson Goddard McKenna
Zakka Myers McGrath
Stringer Daniher Smith
Stewart Hooker Green

Bellcho Heppell ZMerrett

Parish Tippa McNeice Langford

Emerg: Baguley Hartley McKernan

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Status