Preview Essendon vs Collingwood, MCG, Friday 23/08/2019 @ 7.50 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are light on mids this week. Shiel, Parish and Merrett are going to have to go boonta.

Good opportunity for Langford, Begley and Laverde to get more up and around the midfield though

No expectations for this game. Many predicted similar changes throughout the week. Finals spot secure and not much (if any... after the other games for Round 23 are completed) ladder movement.

We get a bit of a free hit at Collingwood in this game to see *some* of what we may have to contend with come finals. Fully expecting to play them again in two weeks. I doubt they will be going at 100% in this one either (may even be a late change or two) but a win overall could possibly mean more for them.

Don’t like conceding/losing... but if it gives us the best shot at competing properly in September then nobody will remember in a few weeks the result of tomorrow night.

How does Ridley not get a look in?
Because he has been playing half back flank / wing. His best form is half back flank. Are you dropping Gleeson , Francis or McKenna ?
They tried him up on the wing because of his good disposal in the hope they could use that as a weapon going forward but he struggled with the role. Was good back in defence last week but but right now we have all defenders available.

I'm not optimistic about the result this week but i endorse the changes. Lets face it the most we can hope for from this train wreck of a season is a finals win and the club owes itself and the fans every effort to maximise our chances of winning in round 1 of the finals. If that means giving Stringer, Heppell and Fantasia a 2 week break to get as fit as they can then so be it.

I do wonder what role Jok will play. Defensive forward perhaps? Or are we intending to sacrifice him as backup ruck so we can keep McKernan in the forward line for longer?

I do reckon Laverde and Begley are pretty decent backup options for Stringer and Fantasia. Particularly since its 50% Fantasia for months now.

But yeah looking at our list our defense is basically at full strength and injuries everywhere else. Well technically I guess ruck is full strength if you ignore how underdone Bellchambers is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much rather play the Pies at the G rather than Giants up there. More exciting. No disrespect to Pies who are a decent team but if we can avoid more injuries tomorrow, we’re a chance fortnight later.

It should be a close one - both teams have similar type high quality players out - for the Pies it’s DeGoey, Stephenson and Sidebum - for us it’s Stringer, Fantasia and Heppell. So no real excuses for either team. I think we will line up something like;-

Hooker Hurley McKenna
Gleeson Francis Saad
Redman Merrett McGrath
Langford Brown Parish
Laverde McKernan Tippa

Bellcho Ambrose Shiel

Bench: D.Clarke Ham Begley Jok

If Ambrose can curb Pendlebury the way he did Fyfe last week we are a good chance to win I’d say

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back