Essendon's tackling - duty of care?

Remove this Banner Ad

No pinning the arms in the Carazzo one, but a definate intent to cause pain. Should of suffered the consequences at the MRP as a result, due to the injury that occurred.

Look forward to the rematch later in the season!

Maybe Lonergan should tackle softly instead.

This thread is ridiculous. Essendon are playing like a tough team should.

I for one think the AFL should launch a full scale investigation into Essendon's tackling strength and motives. It's getting out of hand, anyone would think they're playing football or something.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...or-west-coast/

West Coast appear almost certain to pull Matt Priddis out of the game against St Kilda at Patersons Stadium tomorrow, with the star midfielder battling the fall-out from a serious bout of concussion.

It is understood the 27-year-old was sent home from training on Wednesday, and was having trouble walking and still experiencing headaches and blurred vision 48 hours ago.

The concussion stemmed from his head being rammed into the turf in a tackle laid by Essendon’s Nathan Lovett-Murray during last Saturday night’s 61-point loss at Etihad Stadium.

Priddis left the field and did not return, being substituted out of the game later in the second quarter.

The Eagles named him in the centre square for the St Kilda game, believing he could be fit to play.

His absence would be a massive blow to the Eagles’ effectiveness around stoppages.
He is comfortably leading the club in clearances and contested possessions this season despite having played one game less than midfield colleagues Daniel Kerr, Scott Selwood and Luke Shuey.

The expected loss of Priddis opens the door for Koby Stevens, who is an emergency.

Stevens is fighting to prove he belongs in the senior side in his third year at West Coast, who have chosen to retain Jacob Brennan and Brad Sheppard.

Stevens, 20, had 19 possessions against Greater Western Sydney in round three in his only game this season but was immediately dumped to make way for a returning Priddis.

East Fremantle coach Steve Malaxos said Stevens had been left disappointed after racking up a 38 disposals in the WAFL a fortnight ago, only to be overlooked even as an emergency by the Eagles the following week.

West Coast have every reason to play the inside midfielder if they want to hold on to him.

The Victorian, who has managed only eight AFL matches, is out of contract at the end of the year and is believed to have fielded interest from several clubs.

The hard nut could be an attractive recruiting prospect, with his 187cm, 83kg frame physically ready for the AFL.

Malaxos said Stevens was an improved player in 2012.

“He’s just got to, I guess, try and deliver at AFL level,” Malaxos said.

“That’s his next challenge.

“He’s pretty consistently good at WAFL level. Now he’s just got to make the transition.”

West Coast named Tom Swift and Lewis Stevenson as the other two emergencies.

However, Stevens is believed to be ahead of fellow midfielder Swift in the race for Priddis’ spot.

Under AFL guidelines for concussion, players take a benchmark test at the start of the season where they complete a computerised memory card test designed by biotech company Cogstate.

The program is used in conjunction with a club doctor’s assessment to determine when a concussed player is deemed fit to return to training and is capable of playing.

A decision on Priddis’ availability would have involved taking a second test this week.

The initial benchmark would have been used to compare how seriously his recognition had been impaired in the wake of his concussion.

St Kilda made just one change, WA youngster Jamie Cripps coming in at
the expense of Arryn Siposs.

I can't believe Priddis may miss, and Lovett Murray is playing.

I thought it was sickening, you have one guy pushing back desperate to prevent his head hitting the turf with no arms to brace himself, and one guy pushing desperate to slam his head into the turf with no arms to brace himself.

The whinging continues...

I call it opinion.

A guy is really struggling days after this tackle and subsequent impact of his head, with dizzy spells, a lack of balance, and blurred vision.

This doesn't sit well with me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's still the trip/attempt to take his legs that rankles with me.

Intention was clear when he did that and pinned his arms.

Better a head ducker than a cowardly sniper.:thumbsu:

Keep up your whinging, mate. At least your mate had the common sense not to return to this thread.

NoW that you are back you may as well answer the questions you kept avoiding before.

How was NLM's tackle a snipe? And, since you have stated that the tackle on Priddis was a snipe, how does that make you feel about Beau Waters? Would you care to go on record saying that Waters is a dirty sniper?

I call it opinion.

A guy is really struggling days after this tackle and subsequent impact of his head, with dizzy spells, a lack of balance, and blurred vision.

This doesn't sit well with me.

Doesn't sit right with you? You do realise that it is quite common for players to be suffering the affects of concussion for a number of weeks after the initial incident don't you? It's not as if Priddis has suffered some extreme, rare bout of concussion.

If it really doesn't sit well with you I would suggest you contact the AFL and voice your concerns about the surface of the grounds.

Keep up your whinging, mate. At least your mate had the common sense not to return to this thread.

NoW that you are back you may as well answer the questions you kept avoiding before.

How was NLM's tackle a snipe? And, since you have stated that the tackle on Priddis was a snipe, how does that make you feel about Beau Waters? Would you care to go on record saying that Waters is a dirty sniper?
Waters lays fair bumps, NLM tries to trip players with their arms pinned then runs to the interchange like a gutless wonder after concussing them.

Cowardly, spineless sniper.

Hahaha good to know you are still so offended. :D:thumbsu:

And also good to see you can be an objective poster. :D:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back