FA Cup 2018/19

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair play to Palace. The stats show a pretty even game, but by all accounts, Palace's class stood out, particularly in front off goal.

Now time for Donny to focus on promotion.

Good luck to Donny, full allocation of Palace supporters travelled. Reading our fans' responses they loved the day up there (before and after the game) and it looked close to a full house?

If we can stay away from City (assuming they win tonight), Palace have an opportunity to make the final. Am guessing though that Wolves, Watford, Brighton and a few others are all thinking the same.

Calling the FA Cup "Brilliant" these days is overselling it just a bit. It was a huge comp back in the 80's and 90's. It definitely isn't the competition it once was and is in need of a revamp. That's not to say the likes of Newport from the fourth division don't enjoy a runout against opponents like Man City. Whether that means changing the format or offering a place in CL I cannot say but new ideas are needed.

It gets relatively exciting for me at the semi-final stage, same with the other cup competition. Just can’t get excited about the early rounds, and it’s been like that for a while including when we we’ve still been in the competition. Compare that to the CL when you’re buzzing even for the group games let alone the knockout rounds. I’m not even sure it’s down to the same few clubs winning it (Wigan aside you have to go back to 1995 to find a winner outside of the big six (minus tottenham)) because that also applies to the CL. It just no longer captures the imagination of most fans - with the exception for fans of clubs who don’t have a chance of ever reaching the Premier League

Out of the 16 teams left I have a personal interest in 3 of the teams.

QPR (cousin goes for them), Derby (Harry Wilson on loan there), Doncaster (Herbie Kane on loan there).
Well I guess I jinxed all 3 clubs there.

It gets relatively exciting for me at the semi-final stage, same with the other cup competition. Just can’t get excited about the early rounds, and it’s been like that for a while including when we we’ve still been in the competition. Compare that to the CL when you’re buzzing even for the group games let alone the knockout rounds. I’m not even sure it’s down to the same few clubs winning it (Wigan aside you have to go back to 1995 to find a winner outside of the big six (minus tottenham)) because that also applies to the CL. It just no longer captures the imagination of most fans - with the exception for fans of clubs who don’t have a chance of ever reaching the Premier League

I appreciate supporters of the "big boys" looking forward to CL but there are plenty of clubs who realistically - unless something dramatic happens - will almost certainly never play in the CL. Where does that leave supporters of the other 86 league teams and the non-leaguers?

Even for my mob and others around us, the $ lure of staying in the EPL is too strong to even risk a smaller squad trying to win the FA Cup. There's your answer. The big boys have prioritised Europe, the lower EPL and Championship teams prioritise just getting to or staying in the EPL. If you get to the FA Cup Quarters you will try to win it, otherwise...........not a priority.

I appreciate supporters of the "big boys" looking forward to CL but there are plenty of clubs who realistically - unless something dramatic happens - will almost certainly never play in the CL. Where does that leave supporters of the other 86 league teams and the non-leaguers?

Even for my mob and others around us, the $ lure of staying in the EPL is too strong to even risk a smaller squad trying to win the FA Cup. There's your answer. The big boys have prioritised Europe, the lower EPL and Championship teams prioritise just getting to or staying in the EPL. If you get to the FA Cup Quarters you will try to win it, otherwise...........not a priority.

Yeah sorry that's BS. The first few rounds of the FA Cup are on a weekend where there is no PL either side, so it's just replacing a PL fixture and shouldn't be a burden on your squad. The later rounds are midweek, but even then with fixtures being rearranged it's really not that much of a strain. Hell, you play more games in the Championship and those squads manage.

Yeah sorry that's BS. The first few rounds of the FA Cup are on a weekend where there is no PL either side, so it's just replacing a PL fixture and shouldn't be a burden on your squad. The later rounds are midweek, but even then with fixtures being rearranged it's really not that much of a strain. Hell, you play more games in the Championship and those squads manage.

That's not right. We won the FA Cup 4th Round on the Saturday then played at Southampton on the following Tuesday. The Saints had lost R3, had the 4th round Saturday off and played us on a 10 day break, we had 3 days. That is a risk for smaller squads and not a huge incentive to keep playing your best team in the Cup.

That's not right. We won the FA Cup 4th Round on the Saturday then played at Southampton on the following Tuesday. The Saints had lost R3, had the 4th round Saturday off and played us on a 10 day break, we had 3 days. That is a risk for smaller squads and not a huge incentive to keep playing your best team in the Cup.

Yeah there'll be a few times where that happens, but I'm mainly thinking the 3rd Round where it's a standalone weekend.

I understand why clubs might not put out full strength sides but I do think managers like to make excuses for bad cup performances and supporters fall into line.

So many examples of clubs putting out reserve teams in cups and it having no effect on league performance.

And I'd argue if you were a player and your club doesn't want to progress in the cups I'd be looking to move on.

What do you reckon Ben Watson will be telling his grandkids about when he's an old man?

Yeah there'll be a few times where that happens, but I'm mainly thinking the 3rd Round where it's a standalone weekend.
I'm not bemoaning Palace's fixturing at all, midweek games are part and parcel - I'm just pointing out some reasons why SOME teams do not prioritise the Cup any more and why some of the "magic" may have disappeared. Previous posters have put the CL as a higher priority for the big 6 - fair enough - I'm putting the case for the rest.

What would you have done if you were Roy Hodgson or Chris Hughton?

I'm not bemoaning Palace's fixturing at all, midweek games are part and parcel - I'm just pointing out some reasons why SOME teams do not prioritise the Cup any more and why some of the "magic" may have disappeared. Previous posters have put the CL as a higher priority for the big 6 - fair enough - I'm putting the case for the rest.

What would you have done if you were Roy Hodgson or Chris Hughton?

I'm just saying as a supporter of a club who has come almost as close as you can come to winning the Cup without winning it, trying to win silverware is a bloody good thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do they?

Wigan beat City in the final in the last decade, Villa, Palace, Soton, Hull all made the final as well.

All made the final and lost. Only Portsmouth and Wigan have won it since 2000 from the small clubs. I wish more small clubs were winning it and there was more upsets in finals like city v Wigan.

All made the final and lost. Only Portsmouth and Wigan have won it since 2000 from the small clubs. I wish more small clubs were winning it and there was more upsets in finals like city v Wigan.

So Wigan won it, as I mentioned. I was suggesting that teams can make the final and be competitive. Hull and Palace were both in winning positions in the Finals they competed in.

92 clubs compete in both cups, 90 are guaranteed to not win either. 3-4 clubs seem to win most of them.
They're fun to be in, fun to go on a long run in but ultimately not the end of the world if you go out.

They only really become a burden if you've got a spate of injuries.

Not saying winning one would be great, but it’s hard to get excited when your club is putting out severely weakened teams in the early rounds. It’s not just the big six either who do that, teams fighting relegation also do and even mid table clubs like Leicester have this season (which defies logic for sure). We only go full-strength at the semi-final, which ironically we invariably lose. Anyway, those who remember the days from the 80’s and even 90’s will understand what I’m saying and how far the competition has fallen.

I find the best cup games to watch are when league 2 or league 1 teams play against championship teams and play above themselves, sometimes sneaking a win.

Still one of the best ways for money to be distributed throughout the leagues so i will always support the Cup.

If your club puts out reserve teams and you get beat it says more about the attitude of your club and / or players than anything else imo.

I think the initial point raised wasn't that none of us want to win it or that it's not enjoyable seeing smaller clubs make a run, point is more that as a football fan do we all still get as excited for the FA Cup as we do other matches/tournaments?

For me personally the lack of TV coverage in Aus this year has completely ruined my ability to get into it, would be a different story if it was on Optus Sport or Foxtel.

You could argue the fact that it's not on TV might be an indirect reflection of the waning excitement - if the viewers were there no doubt the media companies would be paying up for the full rights.

I think the initial point raised wasn't that none of us want to win it or that it's not enjoyable seeing smaller clubs make a run, point is more that as a football fan do we all still get as excited for the FA Cup as we do other matches/tournaments?

Hallelujah someone actually gets it!

Boom!

This is more like United rather than the gash they served up the other night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back