Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

That is a strong rumor circling the footy sanctum at the present time.
kramer-seinfeld.gif

If we are looking to bring in someone

Having worked under the same system prior, Fagan quite possibly has already implemented some structures that Clarkson would prefer. I guess a question is - has Clarkson bell curved as an AFL coach?

Money won't be an issue for Clarko, he'll have earnt plenty at Hawks......so he might be quite content with a Qld lifestyle and a job as a mentor or assistant to Fages if Fages still on the job...might also like less responsibility too.

Money won't be an issue for Clarko, he'll have earnt plenty at Hawks......so he might be quite content with a Qld lifestyle and a job as a mentor or assistant to Fages if Fages still on the job...might also like less responsibility too.
Apparently pocketing $900,000 next season from the Hawks for sitting on his butt.

My only thought on an elite coach who can pick and choose job..would he take an out of vic gig that required 3 times the travel..it’s possible I guess
depends what the job is.. Might be one that did not involve travel
Be great for a year to have him around while he paid by the Hawks :)

PIES MIGHT POACH ASSISTANT BACK
Highly-rated Brisbane assistant coach Dale Tapping could have a big decision to make in the coming weeks.

The Lions have offered Tapping a new deal after his outstanding work with the club’s midfield brigade.

But Collingwood has also made inquiries about adding Tapping to its assistant coaching ranks.

After announcing Craig McRae as their new coach, the Pies let go long-time assistant coaches Robert Harvey and Brenton Sanderson. Harvey had worked under Nathan Buckley since 2010 and Sanderson joined the club in 2017.

Tapping spent five seasons at Collingwood as VFL and development coach before being poached by Chris Fagan to Brisbane.

He worked closely with a number of Magpie young guns such as Darcy Moore and Jordan De Goey, and is still well regarded by many within the Holden Centre.

But he also has made a big difference at the Lions, having developed a close rapport with Lachie Neale, who praised him in his 2020 Brownlow Medal speech.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bailey andStarce were good picks but there was a lot of talent around them in the draft. You have to hold pick 1 to a very high standard and academy picks are a bit of a freebie especially that late
Not a lot really. The two picks between them were Ed Richards and Jack Higgins. I would take Starc over both of them any day of the week. Even the subsequent picks were a mixed bag - Oscar Allen, Tim Kelly, Liam Ryan and maybe Noah Balta the only ones worth a close look. And I would add Bailey Fritsch, whom I was very keen on us drafting, but he had gone by our next pick (Toby Wooller). I think we did very well with the Bailey selection when you consider the players taken immediately before him were Lochie O'Brien, Aiden Bonar, Darcy Fogarty, Jarrod Brander and Matthew Ling.

It’s probably not necessarily the coaches fault, but one thing the last 2 weeks has showed is when things don’t go our way, we do take a little bit of time to work things out.

Both last week and again this week we lost an important part of our structure and both weeks it hasn’t taken us a quarter or so to work out what to do moving forward.

Im hoping over the offseason we develop a different mode that if we need to turn to it will just become second nature to us. I think a lot of that may be personnel related too however and the physical capabilities of those players.

It would be great to get a proper 2IC too Fagan.

Guys like Pike, Voss, Kingsley, Caracella and Yzay get a lot of credit at there clubs for the work done so someone with fresh ideas and an assistant coach rated as potentially an AFL coach down the track would be ideal.

Guys like Pike, Voss, Kingsley, Caracella and Yzay get a lot of credit at there clubs for the work done so someone with fresh ideas and an assistant coach rated as potentially an AFL coach down the track would be ideal.
Yea, if only we could get an experienced assistant like Dale Tapping.... oh wait :think:

Define "proper". Is Mark Stone not proper?

I was very impressed with the change of approach in Sydney this year. Horse has long been one of the least flexible coaches who just never did anything new even if his side was losing. When Pyke came in this year though things changed a huge amount and suddenly they were prepared to make a few excellent positional changes and adapt the game style to suit the players.

I don't think we need the massive change that Sydney needed but we do need a refresh (particularly if Neale leaves) and having a new voice could help that if they are listened to and have something good to contribute. Stone with a year on the job might be in a position to do that as well if he took the year to watch and assess where we are at and not really contribute new ideas.

I wonder what support network Fages has around him? My understanding is that he has also been isolated from family a lot this year and no doubt he would have been devastated by the loss on Saturday night and then for the Neale bombshell story to hit within 24 hours of the 1 point finals loss must have been very tough. I hope people like Lethal, Nobes and maybe Clarko get around him a bit.

I was very impressed with the change of approach in Sydney this year. Horse has long been one of the least flexible coaches who just never did anything new even if his side was losing. When Pyke came in this year though things changed a huge amount and suddenly they were prepared to make a few excellent positional changes and adapt the game style to suit the players.

I don't think we need the massive change that Sydney needed but we do need a refresh (particularly if Neale leaves) and having a new voice could help that if they are listened to and have something good to contribute. Stone with a year on the job might be in a position to do that as well if he took the year to watch and assess where we are at and not really contribute new ideas.

I agree, and if I remember correctly, **** messaging in his first few years was about continuous improvement. This was clearly about the playing group however the same approach should be taken for the coaching group.

I agree, and if I remember correctly, **** messaging in his first few years was about continuous improvement. This was clearly about the playing group however the same approach should be taken for the coaching group.

He has specifically said the same applies to the coaching and support staff. Even used it when talking about nobel's move away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back