Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Be interesting how we go Sunday. How Fagan goes to fix problems problems.
If it just ends up Oscar for Fort and Lyons for AhChee.
Or he tries someone like Reville or Brain or Morris.

I do think Kiddy gone been the problem all year.. We had no one to break the lines.
Zorko a great kick although you not getting 40m kicks out of him.
With Berry playing defensive wing we sort of lost Kiddy and replaced him with Berry and Zorko.
So down a player.

Hardwick is a good tactical coach he would have seen how we beaten easily by run.
Be interesting how Fagan regroups.. if we loose to suns which is highly probably what he does next.
Suns have a lot of fast running mids which always undoes us. add a tall forward that Harris cannot outstretch and Miller will keep Neale to low disposals.

I’m thinking that we are in big trouble this Sunday.

Hard to argue with much on Footy Classified with the Lions being the top of the agenda and deservedly getting our right whack. That clip they played of Roos and Buckley was damning (assuming they’re experts) of their criticism. I’ve come around that I hope Chris steps down at seasons end. The club needs a complete refresh from recruiting to coaches, list overhaul and even a new CEO not necessarily all in six months but over the next 18 months.

I understand people's frustrations but I tend to go with "..better the devil you know than the one you don't" There is only one person better imo and he's coaching the only unbeaten team right now. Chris Scott

I don't believe our predicament is solely on Fages. Wasn't there a change of assistant coaches over the preseason? Then there is the sports scientists or whatever they're called who only allow so much running, so much stretching, so much goalkicking etc........bah humbug to them! Our injuries come to mind and have destroyed the dynamics of the team.

...most important of all, I mostly blame the players. They have just looked totally uninterested and unfit. If they were dedicated enough, they would do their own bits of training away from the club if they feel they should be getting more.

I'm very happy for Fages to continue as coach, to go when HE feels the time is right. I've accepted this year might be a fizzer for us but I feel Fages can turn things around again next year, like he has done before.

Fages is a very special man imo and much needed to sort out whatever the hell is going on at the club..

Only about two years.

You’re deadest deluded if you think everyone knows the problems we’re facing this season. I see a lot of Kool Aid drinking, rose coloured glasses wearing and head in the sand posting from many who refuse to accept what is happening or worst yet, dismiss every single footy expert as if they’re crazy for daring to suggest that things aren’t great, Fagan is a great tactician etc etc.

I’m not the only one suggesting we need a new coach or some players should be moved on who may choose to leave themselves because they can see their best opportunity for a flag away from the Lions after being unsuccessful in the 19-23 period. You make out I’m happy about this or that I’m off my rocker for thinking we’ve blown our window.

Who also said anything about fire sales? I didn’t. Do you seriously think doing nothing is going to change things? I hope not, but smarter people than I are saying that we’re trying to play like we were years ago. It ain’t working. Did you watch the past fortnight and the efforts of many of our senior players. Are you telling me they care or are doing everything they absolute can to want to atone for last year. I can’t. The footy experts can clearly see we aren’t.

Also have you looked at our
drafting. It’s not pretty if you take out the father sons or some of the academy boys and then take a look at our opposition and what they are doing. How do we have so many gaps in our list.

We can agree things are tough, but I’m actually a realist and can see through the BS and like I keep saying, why do so many assume that Fages leaving is the end or Swann who has been great but also been a long time.

Anyway, as someone who has only followed the club a short while and clearly knows nothing, I’ll defer to people with your viewpoint that everyone keeps their changes and we do the same thing and hope like Christ that we somehow miraculously turn it around in 24 or 25 when we get three players back from ACL’s who will instantly return to pre injury form.
Deluded? hardly, measured definitively, just because everyone isn’t calling for heads to roll at the first hurdle Carlton style doesn’t mean they are wearing rose coloured glasses, Tigers supporters are glad they stuck with Hardwick. I have never said nor can I remember reading anyone saying Fagan is a great tactician apart from Kingy us v Melbourne and v Collingwood round 4 last season. As far as the fire sales comment, that is my interpretation of you wanting to sack coaches, CEO, move on some players but I suppose you didn’t mention admin or the fitness and medical so it’s not everything must go. Our recruiting hasn’t been top shelf but we haven’t had many top picks because our trading has been 1st class in using those better picks. The rest of it, I just can’t be bothered, so many assumptions and chicken little theories to mention, maybe you should email the club and call them out on their obvious failings.

I hate to say this, but Carolyn Wilson said on footy classified the other day (I’m paraphrasing here) Brisbane has the talent. We were one kick away from a premiership. The problem is between the ears of the players. To fix it we don’t need a great tactician (which Fagan is not) we need a relationship guy. And Fagan is the best in the business.

I have my doubts about Fagan’s tactics and team selections, but I think I agree with Caro. Somehow Fagan has to find a way to switch these boys on. If Chris Fagan can’t do it, maybe it can’t be done. 🤷‍♀️

Deluded? hardly, measured definitively, just because everyone isn’t calling for heads to roll at the first hurdle Carlton style doesn’t mean they are wearing rose coloured glasses, Tigers supporters are glad they stuck with Hardwick. I have never said nor can I remember reading anyone saying Fagan is a great tactician apart from Kingy us v Melbourne and v Collingwood round 4 last season. As far as the fire sales comment, that is my interpretation of you wanting to sack coaches, CEO, move on some players but I suppose you didn’t mention admin or the fitness and medical so it’s not everything must go. Our recruiting hasn’t been top shelf but we haven’t had many top picks because our trading has been 1st class in using those better picks. The rest of it, I just can’t be bothered, so many assumptions and chicken little theories to mention, maybe you should email the club and call them out on their obvious failings.
Given I’m echoing a lot of what is being spoken and written about that very learned people in the footy industry, I guess they really are chicken little theories from people who really are clueless. I guess the truth concerns a lot of people.

Given I’m echoing a lot of what is being spoken and written about that very learned people in the footy industry, I guess they really are chicken little theories from people who really are clueless. I guess the truth concerns a lot of people.

You realise a lot of these media "experts" are just trying to get cheap headlines and are constantly proven wrong

I wonder how many of your so called experts could name more than 15 players on our list, usually we only get a mention when it is negative. But anyway this is futile, don’t stress too much it’s not good for you health

Here's our next head coach anyway. BUT even he ain't perfect. Adelaide last year were and Geelong this year are quite leaky. We would need some more defensively minded assistant coaches around him. Guys like, for example, Murray Davis and Dale Morris.

To be clear, I'm just spitballing here, in the event Fagan wanted to hang up the clipboard at the end of 2025. The timeframe stacks up... He spends a couple of years at Geelong under arguably the best coach in the AFL, then comes to us.

I just wanted to add a fraction of nuance to the "sack Fagan" discussion without actually being able to nominate a reasonable replacement. And no, Nathan Buckley is not a "reasonable replacement".

James Rahilly come on down.

Here's our next head coach anyway. BUT even he ain't perfect. Adelaide last year were and Geelong this year are quite leaky. We would need some more defensively minded assistant coaches around him. Guys like, for example, Murray Davis and Dale Morris.

To be clear, I'm just spitballing here, in the event Fagan wanted to hang up the clipboard at the end of 2025. The timeframe stacks up... He spends a couple of years at Geelong under arguably the best coach in the AFL, then comes to us.

I just wanted to add a fraction of nuance to the "sack Fagan" discussion without actually being able to nominate a reasonable replacement. And no, Nathan Buckley is not a "reasonable replacement".

Would be happy with him here as Fagans offsider/ Heir Apparant

You realise a lot of these media "experts" are just trying to get cheap headlines and are constantly proven wrong
Oh that’s what it is now. They review rounds of footy, offer their insights and positives / negatives of various clubs on a week to week basis, but ok, they’re just headline hunting, granted that a lot do at times.

I've been a fan of James Rahilly since his first iteration as a Cats assistant, IIRC I bought his name up when we were searching for Leppitsch's replacement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been a fan of James Rahilly since his first iteration as a Cats assistant, IIRC I bought his name up when we were searching for Leppitsch's replacement.
Oo I had no idea he'd been there already. That might change the timeframe a bit. Fortunately I don't think any coaches are out of contract at this stage this year. That might change if say Longmuir or Nicks can't get their act together.

Enough time to get some learnings since then.

Oh that’s what it is now. They review rounds of footy, offer their insights and positives / negatives of various clubs on a week to week basis, but ok, they’re just headline hunting, granted that a lot do at times.

You’re not that naive are you? Kane Cornes has basically admitted it’s ll about the headline

I believe the original plan was for Ratts to coach and Fagan to come in as offsider in a similar setup to Clarkson/Fagan ,after Leppa was sacked . I think enough time has elapsed to say that now. Ratts had to stay in Melbourne for personal reasons.

Looking at where we are now impassionately it would be great if we had someone younger with the drive to step in and Fagan to reassume that role or at least for Fagan to see out his contract and mentor someone else in 2025..

For me it's just an age thing and what Fagan has had to endure over the last year or so. Plus a revitalisation of the players before the clock stops ticking.

But I wouldn't go ahead with anything without Fagan's blessing . He and Daly have been a formidable combination , if that era ends in anything resembling an ugly fashion we could be cooked for some time.

The players will determine what happens. The wheels only fall off if the players give up , that's how most coaching careers end. Start winning games again and any worries about coaches get buried. But I really do think it's time we looked for a successor and how that might take shape. We need Fagan to drive that conversation.

So ultimately if the players care so much about Fagan and are committed to the path we're on then sooner or later they'll start playing a whole lot better with passion and energy. If they have the talent. Which most people seem to think is the case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back