Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Nobody from inside the club is going to be offering anything other than support for Fagan (at this point in the year). Many are saying our draw opens up a bit now, but to me we still only win two of the next four. Gold Coast will be hard to beat this week, and Adelaide (despite their win loss ratio) will repeat last year's win. Four and seven hardly makes for good reading and will result in some serious questions being asked internally you would think.

Aside from the coaching side of things, our lack of pace is killing us - an issue I hoped we identified when we dropped Gunston and Rich last year. I am disappointed that we haven't been able to uncover some gems via the draft - only Bailey, whilst we traded for Cameron. This should be an absolute priority going forward - though our F/S and academy commitments mean we are locked in on certain player types and their attributes, as opposed to drafting for need. That leaves us needing to trade again - which is okay - and there are options available just as GWS have shown by targeting Bedford. Daniels has been flagged, and there are others elsewhere too - maybe even next door at the Gold Coast who clearly are building some good depth.

We simply can't afford another off-season like last year where we made a handful of moves on the coaching and list management front. Our biggest coup was signing Doedee where we arguably had suitable coverage anyway. A few returning from injury, a few key ins, and some development from the likes of Fletcher and co, and things might turn around quickly. But that is going to require some levers being pulled.

Just to remind the players and the coach that we need to play with more joy and passion and for the supporters to back the team.
This is actually a fair point. I've been thinking it would be nice to see Fages rock up to training and the captain's run press conferences with a beaming smile and a sense of humour. I appreciate this is easier said than done. Sometimes tho you have to fake it till you make it.

I'd also like to see our players adopt a more up tempo, fun style of ball movement. Again, this is easier to say than to do... There is more involved than just flicking a switch. Giving players freedom to take the game on and being willing to accept mistakes is an important step tho. This may even increase players' willingness to do more of the defensive stuff, particularly in our forward line where it's desperately needed.

This is actually a fair point. I've been thinking it would be nice to see Fages rock up to training and the captain's run press conferences with a beaming smile and a sense of humour. I appreciate this is easier said than done. Sometimes tho you have to fake it till you make it.

I'd also like to see our players adopt a more up tempo, fun style of ball movement. Again, this is easier to say than to do... There is more involved than just flicking a switch. Giving players freedom to take the game on and being willing to accept mistakes is an important step tho. This may even increase players' willingness to do more of the defensive stuff, particularly in our forward line where it's desperately needed.
Only going by the footage and socials, todays training with the boys all wearing their junior footy jumpers seemed like a fun day for all of them and probably came at a really good time for the reasons you mentioned. I did appreciate Harris candid interview today and I’m hoping that todays levity rubs off this weekend and gets the boys feeling good about themselves and the season again.

Joe has a laconic style. He looks exactly the same when he's flying as when things aren't quite going his way.

And I agree with the point about big key forwards. How many of them do you see chasing hard and laying tackles ?

Joe gets up the ground and does that more than most.

Roosy was an absolute champion and a really smart coach with the cattle he had but was always bone lazy . I'd suggest he hasn't watched us all that often.

Joe has a laconic style. He looks exactly the same when he's flying as when things aren't quite going his way.

And I agree with the point about big key forwards. How many of them do you see chasing hard and laying tackles ?

Joe gets up the ground and does that more than most.

Roosy was an absolute champion and a really smart coach with the cattle he had but was always bone lazy . I'd suggest he hasn't watched us all that often.

Lol Mr Ripper it happened again.

I think that's a bit rough on Joe from Roosy.

I don't think his effort was less than a few others.

Joe's been a media whipping boy since forever.
I’ve always been surprised at the level of disdain that Joe seems to attract from sections of the footy world when his family is so universally regarded in the industry although it just doesn’t seem to extend to him particularly from the umpires. Often you watch games every weekend and other KPF are getting frees Joe could only dream. It’s evident the umpires hate him.

I’ve always been surprised at the level of disdain that Joe seems to attract from sections of the footy world when his family is so universally regarded in the industry although it just doesn’t seem to extend to him particularly from the umpires. Often you watch games every weekend and other KPF are getting frees Joe could only dream. It’s evident the umpires hate him.
Ever since CH.7 played the one flop over and over again he's really struggled with the umps. The opposition know you can chop Joe's arms with no whistle. And you'll notice he's now trying to take marks with his arms extended in front of him.

It's particularly annoying when you've seen icons like Hawkins and Riewoldt staging for frees and infringing every second contest and getting their fair share.

I'd be surprised if Daly hasn't brought it up with the umpiring head honchos but that's been to no avail this year. There have been 3 or 4 absolute no brainers where they just refuse to blow the whistle.

The Toby Greene/Jack Ginnivan/Joe Daniher treatment

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ever since CH.7 played the one flop over and over again he's really struggled with the umps. The opposition know you can chop Joe's arms with no whistle. And you'll notice he's now trying to take marks with his arms extended in front of him.

It's particularly annoying when you've seen icons like Hawkins and Riewoldt staging for frees and infringing every second contest and getting their fair share.

I'd be surprised if Daly hasn't brought it up with the umpiring head honchos but that's been to no avail this year. There have been 3 or 4 absolute no brainers where they just refuse to blow the whistle.
Funnily enough just tuned into 360 and Terry and Anthony Daniher were on and were called footballs favourite family. It’s their Mum’s and Joes grans 90th birthday and the parents and four footballing dad and uncle are being inducted into the NSW Hall of Fame (Haydn Bunton also being inducted).

Like I said earlier, shame none of this goodwill doesn’t extend to Joe. And for what it’s worth, Joe wasn’t mentioned at all in the discussion about the Daniher family’s involvement in the game.

Bottom line our forward line is one of the most inefficient in the league - we get lots of entries but our scoring frequency versus those entries is close to the worst in the league and the exits out from F50 entries is equally high.

Our forward line is not functioning. Point the finger at the lot of them - no pressure

Funnily enough just tuned into 360 and Terry and Anthony Daniher were on and were called footballs favourite family. It’s their Mum’s and Joes grans 90th birthday and the parents and four footballing dad and uncle are being inducted into the NSW Hall of Fame (Haydn Bunton also being inducted).

Like I said earlier, shame none of this goodwill doesn’t extend to Joe. And for what it’s worth, Joe wasn’t mentioned at all in the discussion about the Daniher family’s involvement in the game.
But Joe left Essendon to come to Brisbane. The VFL media don’t accept that someone should leave a big Melbourne club to go to Brisbane,so they try to find fault with them at all times.

Bottom line our forward line is one of the most inefficient in the league - we get lots of entries but our scoring frequency versus those entries is close to the worst in the league and the exits out from F50 entries is equally high.

Our forward line is not functioning. Point the finger at the lot of them - no pressure
But is that due to their inability to mark and crumb, or the quality of the kicks coming into 50?

That's been a big turnaround this year with basically the same personnel.

Obviously the entries haven't been overly flash either.

Apart from players losing form, Fagan’s Gardiner experiment is the one thing that is different from last year. That is a straight out coaching blunder that he is stubbornly persisting with.

Heard a clip of Leigh Matthews talking about the criticism of Chris Fagan.

1- The criticism of his presser was ridiculous, what do they expect him to say.
2- Coaches have little affect during a game, he laughed when talking about pundits who say a particular coach was out coached on the day.
3- The best players win matches not the best coaches, would you rather the best coach or the best players.

Apart from players losing form, Fagan’s Gardiner experiment is the one thing that is different from last year. That is a straight out coaching blunder that he is stubbornly persisting with.
Tactically - and I don’t thing I’m stating anything new here - we are so far off the pace compared to what the top sides are doing - it’s all about efficiency of entry.

I think I’m right in saying Geelong have had no midfielder get 30+ possessions this year. It’s a squad mentality - one soldier down, one comes in.

Hawkins doesn’t play, doesn’t matter we’ll just structure up different.

We cannot / should not accept that just because Kiddy and Doedee are injured that’s cooked us for the year, it’s a bullshit excuse.

This team is playing well below its capabilities but I’m increasingly frustrated at just how dumb we play and I know that’s not the case so what is it?

Everyone in the comp knows how we like to play, so they structure up to combat it, but we appear to do nought - if it works it works, if it don’t we get beat.

We cannot be reliant on Neale to get 35 for us to win.

Joe has got nobody to blame but himself after spending all of 2021 carrying on like a circus clown and having the umps fall for his act hook, line, and sinker. As far as they are concerned, it's "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me".

And quite frankly I can't say I blame them. This is a bed Joe has made for himself, all by himself. And the only way he can get out of it now is to completely eradicate any playing for free kicks from his game, and hope that, at some stage, he starts getting the odd one paid his way.

In meantime I shan't be holding my breath.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back