Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Joe has got nobody to blame but himself after spending all of 2021 carrying on like a circus clown and having the umps fall for his act hook, line, and sinker. As far as they are concerned, it's "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me".

And quite frankly I can't say I blame them. This is a bed Joe has made for himself, all by himself. And the only way he can get out of it now is to completely eradicate any playing for free kicks from his game, and hope that, at some stage, he starts getting the odd one paid his way.

In meantime I shan't be holding my breath.
Joe needs to bust out the Bernie Quinlan tapes on YouTube and see how it is done. Quinlan was also playing with his Achilles Tendon held together with Blu-tack and sticky tape.

Last edited:
3- The best players win matches not the best coaches, would you rather the best coach or the best players.
I'd rather the best coach to be honest. We've seen the best coaches do wonders with a group of "good enough" players, but teams with plenty of stars stumble time and time again.

They are aren’t they. If only Joe could be more like Bernie.
Bernie in the modern game…I shudder to think - he was my favourite he was a freak - a ruck rover that ended up being our key forward due to that dodgy Achilles.

Danced around opponents like they were statues.

When I played at Balwyn we were coached by ex Fitzroy tough man Brett Grimley.

“Grimmers” was a hard man - didn’t play many games but when he did you walked a bit taller. Got Bernie down to training for us one night - it was about 10 years since I’d seen him up close as he played in a practice match at Mortlake in about 1984 (kicked 10 before half time against the Hawks - who were the reigning premier)

He looked like he could have still been playing

I'd rather the best coach to be honest. We've seen the best coaches do wonders with a group of "good enough" players, but teams with plenty of stars stumble time and time again.
Like 4 time Premiership coach Alistair Clarkson at the Kangaroos?;)

The best coach of all time couldn't turn a bunch of ordinary to middling players into silk purses.

The best coach of all time couldn't turn a bunch of ordinary to middling players into silk purses.
In six months? How long did it take him at Hawthorn?

I put this more on the Kangaroos list management team. To in love with mids and half forwards, and won’t trade back to balance list needs.

Except I wouldn't put the Roos anywhere near "good enough".

Hardwick won three premierships at Richmond with a fair group of players, but they definitely weren't full of stars compared to, say, the Hawthorn teams or Geelong at times. Same with the Swans in 2012. By comparison St Kilda had some of the strongest teams I can recall with up to 10 elite players (depending on how you're counting) but never won a grand final. Not to mention the best player in the last few decades couldn't even get a team into the finals (hi Gary).

I'd suggest just about any of the top six in most years have a list capable of winning a flag with the right coaching and the right game plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree that it's possible for a coach to mismanage and underperform with a good team.

But in the end a good/great list of players can make an average coach a great one and a good/great coach won't get anywhere with a poor list of players.

As far as teams of comparable talent go obviously the coaching becomes more pivotal.

A coach may not be able to affect the match on match day but surely the training that teaches the whole squad how to various things when other stuff happens is part of their remit.

I remember watching us play against a few sides where they were kicking the ball blindly out of congestion and evey time it went straight to one of their players (coincidentally when we kicked blindly it normally went to one of their players as well! 😞) like they knew where their mates would be and what they were doing ... I don't remember having that feeling with our mob...

A coach maybe cannot teach individual brilliance but they can teach team structure and tactics and collegiate expectations and ensure that the ones who don't buy in to the team are not playing or managed around and in doing so can give the players a toolbox they can use when things are going pear shaped ... or even when the opposition is flooding/run and gunning/defending a lead etc...

Joe has got nobody to blame but himself after spending all of 2021 carrying on like a circus clown and having the umps fall for his act hook, line, and sinker. As far as they are concerned, it's "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me".

And quite frankly I can't say I blame them. This is a bed Joe has made for himself, all by himself. And the only way he can get out of it now is to completely eradicate any playing for free kicks from his game, and hope that, at some stage, he starts getting the odd one paid his way.

In meantime I shan't be holding my breath.
A lot to love and hate about Jo and this is in the hate bracket.
It is something so easily fixed and for the life of me i don't know what his line of thinking is, or his coaches are saying to him.
One thing for certain he won't be reading anything on BF.

I think that’s looking at it backwards, part of being a great player is the ability to perform within a team unit IMO, sure some teams with less talent can win at times but I think that’s less down to coaching and more the ability of the players to form a cohesive unit

Melbourne is the best example of both things, kinda.

I don’t think anyone has ever suggested degenerate Goodie is a great coach. That 2021 flag team was just filled with guns from behind the ball into the middle. Most average coaches could have won with that side IMO.

But look at what’s happened since. Arguably degenerate Goodie has wasted one of the best lists in the comp.

A coach may not be able to affect the match on match day but surely the training that teaches the whole squad how to various things when other stuff happens is part of their remit.

I remember watching us play against a few sides where they were kicking the ball blindly out of congestion and evey time it went straight to one of their players (coincidentally when we kicked blindly it normally went to one of their players as well! 😞) like they knew where their mates would be and what they were doing ... I don't remember having that feeling with our mob...

A coach maybe cannot teach individual brilliance but they can teach team structure and tactics and collegiate expectations and ensure that the ones who don't buy in to the team are not playing or managed around and in doing so can give the players a toolbox they can use when things are going pear shaped ... or even when the opposition is flooding/run and gunning/defending a lead etc...
Chris Fagan has done a pretty decent job since 2017 setting up a very competitive game structure and tactics, we have been in the top 3-4 teams for most of that time.

Maybe it is as simple as the teams that won the Grand Finals over that time have just been more talented than us.

But sometimes they don't. I don't think Beveridge, Simpson or Goodwin are amazing coaches but they all won premierships. But I think it's fair to say that if you want to win multiple premierships you need a very good coach.

Chris Fagan has done a pretty decent job since 2017 setting up a very competitive game structure and tactics, we have been in the top 3-4 teams for most of that time.

Maybe it is as simple as the teams that won the Grand Finals over that time have just been more talented than us.

One less free in last year's gf, or Charlie getting a goal instead of a behind and the fagan bashers would be lauding his capability.

He's EXACTLY THE SAME PERSON.

Yes we have problems. Yes some of his choices haven't worked out (love dizzy but he is not a forward), but the fagan write off is insane.

I think we have a very talented Team, but we rarely ever play four consistent quarters and we are mentally soft. To me that is for the coach to rectify. If he can't fix these problems, he should be thanked wholeheartedly for all his work and moved on at the end of the year.

I think we have a very talented Team, but we rarely ever play four consistent quarters and we are mentally soft. To me that is for the coach to rectify. If he can't fix these problems, he should be thanked wholeheartedly for all his work and moved on at the end of the year.
Or before the end of the year.

Fagan has introduced the Traditional In-Game Nap Time #TINT

Just had a quick scan through the Port Adelaide board sack Hinkley thread, gee there is some vitriol on there.

Hopefully we don't get that far down in the gutter re Chris Fagan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back