Fair work commission ruling on Sunday penalty rates

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you believe a nursing student who is "forced" to work Sundays deserves to be paid more than a nursing student who is "forced" to work Monday?

Because this is the difference which you somehow refuse to understand. There'd be a lot of nurses who would probably prefer not to work Sundays but some just have to, so we reimburse them. When you're a student, you work when you can. Why do students who are fortunate enough to be available on a Sunday deserve to be paid more than those who aren't?
What a strange post? I thought that Mon to Fri is a normal working week, has it changed?

What has working on Mondays to do with penalty rates?
Because there would be thousands of people out there who would like to work Sundays for penalty rates but can only work Mondays?

I don't get the confusion, my position has been so clear all along. Retail and hospitality are dominated by young workers in casual positions. It's not nursing or construction where the workers are overwhelmingly full time and middle aged. As a recent graduate, working weekends is not the same sacrifice that older adults make working on weekends so to compare the two is ridiculous.

Yet, for no sacrifice on my part whatsoever, I received $100 more for working the same hours on a Sunday as I did any other day of the week. People who didn't work Sunday were unlucky, not fortunate.

The FWC is half way there; lowering penalty rates opens the door for wages to be lifted for everybody on every day of the week and will probably see an extra shift for somebody on Sunday as well.

Last edited:
The FWC is half way there; lowering penalty rates opens the door for wages to be lifted for everybody on every day of the week and will probably see an extra shift for somebody on Sunday as well.
Pipe dream and no evidence of this happening.
So many can't get full time jobs and have to work either as a casual or part-time at more than one job, the cut will hurt them.
Majority of jobs that have been created have been part time.
This is the reality.

Because there would be thousands of people out there who would like to work Sundays for penalty rates but can only work Mondays?

I don't get the confusion, my position has been so clear all along. Retail and hospitality are dominated by young workers in casual positions. It's not nursing or construction where the workers are overwhelmingly full time and middle aged. As a recent graduate, working weekends is not the same sacrifice that older adults make working on weekends so to compare the two is ridiculous.

Yet, for no sacrifice on my part whatsoever, I received $100 more for working the same hours on a Sunday as I did any other day of the week. People who didn't work Sunday were unlucky, not fortunate.

Maybe.

But, what is happening is that some small businesses are saying that removing penalty rates will not affect their employment of people one iota..and that there is a growing number of businesses who won't pass on the rate cut at all.

Maybe.

But, what is happening is that some small businesses are saying that removing penalty rates will not affect their employment of people one iota..and that there is a growing number of businesses who won't pass on the rate cut at all.

Its the usual thing. Some businesses will support their employees. Others will rip them off.
I wonder why they dont change the penalty rates for other occupations? Why did they pick on the lowest paid & youngest workers who find it hard enough to get a start in life now?

Trickle down economics doesnt work. It never has. To see our multi millionaire PM sprout this dross is just so disappointing & sick.

Its the usual thing. Some businesses will support their employees. Others will rip them off.
I wonder why they dont change the penalty rates for other occupations? Why did they pick on the lowest paid & youngest workers who find it hard enough to get a start in life now?

Trickle down economics doesnt work. It never has. To see our multi millionaire PM sprout this dross is just so disappointing & sick.

Trickle-down economics was in the ascendancy when baby-boomers like Turnbull were in their 20's and 30's, so I am sadly not surprised that he still apparently believes in it, alongside other neoliberal fantasies (privatisation, 'balanced budgets' etc.).

I think even Eric Abetz will choke trying to justify a wage cut for some of our lowest paid workers as against a $50 billion tax cuts for local & multinational companies.

You musn't know Abetz.
He was on the ABC last week defending Abbott's attack as civil conversation.

So now Abetz wants to grandfather the changes.

Existing employees will keep the current penalty rates whilst new employees will go onto the new, cheaper rates.

I can't see anything wrong with that except for ruthless bosses eventually replacing longer term employees with new, cheaper ones.

Eventually? More like the day after it becomes law.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Coles manager asks staff to work for pizza on a Sunday — weeks after penalty rates were cut

fcda9cda186ca4bd2e89194bcf6d381a

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work...t/news-story/fe2a0f73af792e49e20bb5462c045606

who needs money its all you can eat pizza at 9,30

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who goes to Sunday for less than during the working week? So if you work during the week, Sunday you come home with higher taxes in the next bracket, and less net income.

The government will still be taking their taxes for doing absolutely bugger all to give to first homebuyers in attempt an underpinning negative gearing collapse of housing.

Maybe government needs to implement flatter penalties for lower income earners before dropping penalty rates that go tot he government?

Landlords will only be in on Monday saying I hear you have a bit of extra money in the till. Retail rent is going up.

All of this less disposable income will do nothing to stimulate economy. Coles is already paying people in pizza while the CEO takes extra bonus.

Some things I'm uncertain of, such as a Prime Ministers wife on a board of a vaccination company while her husband says free vaccinations for everyone. Obviously without a 99% hit rate, vaccinations simply don't work. It would have however made that $1 million dollar donation to the Liberal party lighter.
*All my kids are vaccinated to the ****house. Not anti vax

Last edited:
All these multinationals sending exorbitant accounting invoices to Australia from low taxing nations are the ones that want to take the money off Australian low income earners and ship the Australian economy $$$$$ out of the country to tax havens.

The government needs to lower taxes for people working on Sundays in correspondence with lower penalty rates, much of which goes to the government in the form of taxes, so they can waste taxpayer $$$ on hiring 'private' jets to Alice Springs sipping champagne with their mistress at taxpayers expense.

Taxpayer politician paid trips to Queensland to buy their latest negative geared property.

Last edited:
Coles manager asks staff to work for pizza on a Sunday — weeks after penalty rates were cut

fcda9cda186ca4bd2e89194bcf6d381a

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work...t/news-story/fe2a0f73af792e49e20bb5462c045606

who needs money its all you can eat pizza at 9,30
I took 2 things from this. Smallish country? store. The manager is not a manager at all ie he cant motivate staff on the time they are paid. This should have been dealt with by the people responsible. If he cant get them to do it sack them or he cant manage.

Secondly hire somebody for a week or get in the ''work experience' kid

I took 2 things from this. Smallish country? store. The manager is not a manager at all ie he cant motivate staff on the time they are paid. This should have been dealt with by the people responsible. If he cant get them to do it sack them or he cant manage.

they are a billion dollars company

what about giving the kids the 12$ an hour each to put the milk on the shelf ffs ...

Thirdly. Get a better ordering officer.

s**t manager who probably got into that position via contacts, brown nosing or other grubby politics.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back