Fair work commission ruling on Sunday penalty rates

Remove this Banner Ad

it goes both ways. There are distortions that benefit the poor and distortions that benefit the rich. Both need to be removed to create a more prosperous society for all that can eventually provide greater protections for everyone. We need to act like adults and accept the removal of distortions that directly benefit us so those that hurt us and directly benefit others will also be removed.
Why are removing or reducing penalty rates only in these industries? Health care (nursing) still has 75% for Sunday's and 50% Saturday.

Answer - because only political suicide to attack nurses.

Actually, you're right in that compromise is necessary to get things done. Just the way you said it - it struck me as really friggen cold and devoid of empathy. Now I know you meant more than what the mere words were saying, so fair enough on that point:thumbsu:

Lastly, to call a Geelong supporter a paedophile, a zoophile, a product of incest and a defiler of both nature and religion can be laughed off easily. To accuse a Geelong supporter of going for Hawthorn - that is a horror beyond a bridge that went too far in some other direction.

I apologise profusely for that smear on your character Seeds.
Yes on reflection my original post could of been interpreted a number of different ways from what was intended.

Why are removing or reducing penalty rates only in these industries? Health care (nursing) still has 75% for Sunday's and 50% Saturday.

Answer - because only political suicide to attack nurses.
I would have thought most nurses are on EBAs, not award rates.

Exactly. Yet shift workers complain when they have to do paid overtime that is only 150 percent of normal pay. White collar workers are expected to work for free on sundays.

They are paid more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any comment on Bill Shorten claiming he would adhere to the independent commission? He back flipped when he didn't get the result he wanted?
Shorten set-up the FWC, selected most of the members, and said we should respect the ruling. Now, he thinks it's another work choices, so he smells a chance to nab a few votes. I think this won't play out as well as he thinks it will. The attack ads will write themselves and there won't be that many votes in it to counter.

Shorten set-up the FWC, selected most of the members, and said we should respect the ruling. Now, he thinks it's another work choices, so he smells a chance to nab a few votes. I think this won't play out as well as he thinks it will. The attack ads will write themselves and there won't be that many votes in it to counter.

Really?
His argument is pretty simple. The FWC was not set up to reduce wages.

So now Abetz wants to grandfather the changes.

Existing employees will keep the current penalty rates whilst new employees will go onto the new, cheaper rates.

I can't see anything wrong with that except for ruthless bosses eventually replacing longer term employees with new, cheaper ones.

Further to my last, perhaps they could also legislate that all new employees on the new penalty rates be female only and that it be illegal to sack male only employees on the old rates.

Then there truly would be a gender pay gap and we could start a whole new thread and bitch about it.

So now Abetz wants to grandfather the changes.

Existing employees will keep the current penalty rates whilst new employees will go onto the new, cheaper rates.

I can't see anything wrong with that except for ruthless bosses eventually replacing longer term employees with new, cheaper ones.
At least someone in politics is consistent

Absolute muppet, it's the worst thing you could do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So when the umpire awards increases all is good but when they don't its not good enough. For any system to work it was to cut both ways.

It was interesting to see that fast food chains had been sponsoring foreign workers to come in and work for them. How does that make sense? Shorten apparently created the system that they have used.

Whole systems seems to be a mess, fair work, work visas etc etc.

Not a whole lot of value in the FWC being tasked with reviewing penalty rates if the outcome is 'They are out of step with modern IR and should be reduced but that is class warfare from the evil corporations so they have to stay as is'.
You really believe that is what they would be thinking?

What you don't seem to get what I am saying is that given that changes government is making with the Omnibus policy, proposed tax cuts to big business, company profits increasing and wages low, maybe their decision at this time may have been hasty. Although in fairness may not have know about the Omnibus when they were deliberating.

If Labor can connect them all will be a winner for them.

I just don't see the benefits to small business, further it is not just the changes to Sundays that most people are discussing but it is the PH as well.
It all adds up.

Have noticed a few companies have come out and stated that they will not be making the changes which is interesting.
The larger companies I am sure will incorporate changes through the EBA's. Interesting times ahead.

You really believe that is what they would be thinking?

What you don't seem to get what I am saying is that given that changes government is making with the Omnibus policy, proposed tax cuts to big business, company profits increasing and wages low, maybe their decision at this time may have been hasty. Although in fairness may not have know about the Omnibus when they were deliberating.

If Labor can connect them all will be a winner for them.

I just don't see the benefits to small business, further it is not just the changes to Sundays that most people are discussing but it is the PH as well.
It all adds up.

Have noticed a few companies have come out and stated that they will not be making the changes which is interesting.
The larger companies I am sure will incorporate changes through the EBA's. Interesting times ahead.

I don't know what they're thinking and don't pretend to.

IIRC it's a four yearly review, so reviewing penalty rates isn't like the RBA reviewing the cash rate target. It's not like if there is a backlash or negative economic effect they will reconvene next month and raise penalty rates. It's a long term decision.

Ever since the announcement the majority of the discussion has been political, despite the fact that the FWC is set up to be (in theory) an apolitical entity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back