Resource 2020 Finals Ticketing thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Genuine query then, one I don't expect anyone on here will have an answer for but rather one I'll have to speak to the club about - I have two platinum memberships/tickets in my name, am I going to be unable to use the second barcode for someone who has been attending all season on this ticket?

I am all for limiting the abuse/on-selling/scalping of barcodes considering the limit to our allocation should we qualify, but for anyone with multiple tickets in their name it makes it a bit murky.

If they're going to do something to stop transferring barcodes (beyond just telling people not to do it) they really need to announce it tomorrow morning at the latest. Members of the winning team will get very excited straight away, and those without a Platinum or above barcode will start looking for one.

I've been to a lot of NFL games in the US and they do security checks on every single person through the gates which is always upwards of 60,000. It's a quicker process than you'd imagine.

40,000 at the GABBA is nothing and they will warn people to get there with plenty of time to spare.
Its the only way to police this situation right? They have to ID check every person entering.....

Genuine query then, one I don't expect anyone on here will have an answer for but rather one I'll have to speak to the club about - I have two platinum memberships/tickets in my name, am I going to be unable to use the second barcode for someone who has been attending all season on this ticket?

I am all for limiting the abuse/on-selling/scalping of barcodes considering the limit to our allocation should we qualify, but for anyone with multiple tickets in their name it makes it a bit murky.
my mate has 5 in his name..... if this is how they are going to police it, it will be nightmare.. (pending victory tomorrow of course)

my mate has 5 in his name..... if this is how they are going to police it, it will be nightmare.. (pending victory tomorrow of course)
I guess it would be whoever buys the tickets in their name will have to enter with everyone on that ticket, maybe dedicated lines for that. Like I said 40k this is easy, 10 minutes on Vulture Street and you're in.

I guess it would be whoever buys the tickets in their name will have to enter with everyone on that ticket, maybe dedicated lines for that. Like I said 40k this is easy, 10 minutes on Vulture Street and you're in.
It's easy if you have a routine and people have been trained what to do. Hotel security is easy without training.

This will be the first time this has happened at a GF and probably the first time ever at the Gabba.

So just called the Port membership team. The original FAQs are wrong for the grand final and have been pulled from the website.
You can't purchase a ticket using another person's barcode. For example if you were borrowing a platinum members barcode because they aren't going they would need to purchase the ticket but then won't be able to transfer the ticket to you.

If you're buying four tickets the names for the ticket must match the name on the membership.

If you have a silver membership or below forget about the GF you're as of now basically f’ed unless the rules are changed again before they go on sale.
Did you ask the right question(s)? Did you get the right answer(s)?

At the moment under the Ticketek system if Mr REH buys 4 tickets 1 using his code and 3 for others using their code, to sit in a block of 4 together and I then share the ticket and pass it to the phone of the other 3, the electronic ticket to those other 3 on their phone says the Ticket is held by Mr REH, not the name on the relevant members' barcode.

How do you overcome this inconsistency? Did you ask?

Don't begrudge those that paid extra to get the guarantee having access to the tickets and ensuring that any that want to go can go. You pay the money you get the access. Simple.

My issue is with being hard on this now with no flagging it would be the case.. A week or so out from the game and three or four days before the tickets go on sale.?.

Easy to say yeah don't make plans without certainty and keep things open and refundable (which any thinking person should and would have done) but surely if this is happening this should have been announced earlier. If I make arrangements based on what the current guidelines are and have contingencies in place surely you can't move the goal posts at the last minute.

If it is correct like everything the afl industry does make s**t up as you go along I guess.

Last edited:
I've been to a lot of NFL games in the US and they do security checks on every single person through the gates which is always upwards of 60,000. It's a quicker process than you'd imagine.

40,000 at the GABBA is nothing and they will warn people to get there with plenty of time to spare.

I‘ve got no doubt that it’s the right process to introduce but I have reservations on how it would be introduced here. In fact, if there was a legitimate push to eliminate scalping, this would’ve been introduced years ago.
Has there ever been an event in Aust where this has been a requirement?
Maybe my skepticism is based on experiences with Ticketek and the SMA and their resistance to change.

Looks like there will be 3 priority groups. This is what the Lions are advertising to their members

and Richmond

The cats have this generic afl final hub type info and nothing up for the GF yet

Richmond page does say

Based on Queensland state border restrictions as of 24 hours prior to the first Grand Final on-sale, only members who reside in Queensland OR reside in states with open borders to Queensland will be eligible to purchase tickets for the 2020 Toyota AFL Grand Final. Due to strict contact tracing measures in place, and per our membership terms and conditions, membership cards and associated benefits are for personal use only and may not be transferred to another person under any circumstance. Any tickets purchased by an eligible Club member must be used by that member.

Brisbane's page was very generic

I live outside of Queensland, can I attend the Grand Final at the Gabba?
Due to the complexity of meeting Queensland Health requirements, the AFL are currently working through a number of issues relating to the competing club member allocations for the 2020 Toyota AFL Grand Final, including:
• Eligibility of members based on their geographical location and state border restrictions
• Guidelines on the transferability of membership entitlements
• Procedures to access tickets

Just spoke with someone from the Port membership dept. They said for families who have one name on the entire membership group (say of 4 people, in Arsene Wenger 's case 5), everyone can still get in. The only issue is if there is a covid positive person, the contact tracing people will only be contacting the one person's name on the ticket. In such a scenario that person would then have to give contact details of everyone else who was at the game who used a ticket in their name for said tracing purposes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just spoke with someone from the Port membership dept. They said for families who have one name on the entire membership group (say of 4 people, in Arsene Wenger 's case 5), everyone can still get in. The only issue is if there is a covid positive person, the contact tracing people will only be contacting the one person's name on the ticket. In such a scenario that person would then have to give contact details of everyone else who was at the game who used a ticket in their name for said tracing purposes.
So how can they say the original barcode member must be the name on the ticket then ?

Did you ask the right question(s)? Did you get the right answer(s)?

At the moment under the Ticketek system if Mr REH buys 4 tickets 1 using his code and 3 for others using their code, to sit in a block of 4 together and I then share the ticket and pass it to the phone of the other 3, the electronic ticket to those other 3 on their phone says the Ticket is held by Mr REH, not the name on the relevant members' barcode.

How do you overcome this inconsistency? Did you ask?

I guess one big thing is the GF is done by Ticketmaster and not Ticketek so different systems

So how can they say the original barcode member must be the name on the ticket then ?

I have no idea I'm just going off what I've been told.

Lots of people are going to be in this precarious position of having multiple memberships for families under the one person's name, so it will no doubt get clarified pretty soon in writing.

I know for a fact the AFL fan association is investigating the situation.
this is the funniest post I have ever read on this website

happy with that. Sounds like either way, its going to be a solid clusterfuq

I also called the membership department today and asked - exact words REH - “can I give my barcode to a friend as I can’t make the GF” and the answer the lady gave me was “absolutely”.

So, * knows!

GF Ticketing info up on Port's website

What are the Priority Groups?

Priority Group 1 – Club 1870 members, Life Members (total eligible members 1,500)

Priority Group 2 – Black Diamond and Platinum members (total eligible members 10,500)

Priority Group 3 – Gold members (total eligible members 4,500)

All members must have pledged 100% of their membership to the Club in 2020 to be eligible.

Does anyone know out of these groups, how many actually pledged 100% of their membership?

Has the club released any figures regarding this?

Does anyone know out of these groups, how many actually pledged 100% of their membership?

Has the club released any figures regarding this?
The above numbers are 100%. Only people who pledged 100% are eligible

If I miss out to someone who doesn't have a grand final guarantee (as I have paid for every year since we entered the AFL) I won't be happy/
X2 if you have a GF Guarantee barcode, and you aren't using it, you should not be sharing it. Would infuriate me if I missed and others without the Guarantee tickets got in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back