First side to 17 premierships?

Who will be the first club to 17 premierships

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton and Collingwood won a third of their flags by 1920 and Collingwood had 11 flags before WW2.

You can only really count flags from 1990 as you are comparing state league flags with national league flags. Different rules, different players.

Of course pre 1990 flags are to be fully respected.
Yeah nah. I reckon you can count
VFL/AFL flags as one given it’s the same comp, just renamed.

If you want to go down your path you should start at 1987 though as that is when WCE/Brisbane joined, it just wasn’t renamed AFL until 1990. Or maybe early 80s when SMFC went to Sydney?

Carlton and Collingwood won a third of their flags by 1920 and Collingwood had 11 flags before WW2.

You can only really count flags from 1990 as you are comparing state league flags with national league flags. Different rules, different players.

Of course pre 1990 flags are to be fully respected.

Bad luck Hawks. Your 1991 flag counts, but 1988 and 1989 don’t.

Ill go with Shanghai power
The home ground advantage will be huge to get them into finals.
Then when the Chinese create a 150,000 seat stadium for them (despite only averaging 8,000 to games)
The afl move the grand final there and they win 20 straight when the Mumbai bombers break the streak.

Pies could be closing on 16 and if they do they are the most likely team to reach 17 before 2030 shall they win next weekend.

This thread was created at the start of the year yet most still had Carlton ahead of Collingwood? Sure, they're one away, but always felt Collingwood were closer to another flag.

The way things are it is a four way race. If Melbourne have a Hawthorn like dynasty and win 4 or so who knows?

Hawthorn has 5 AFL premierships, West Coast, Brisbane and Geelong 3, I think we'll be the second to get to 5. I think premiership by year in competition is a better measure of a club's success.

Hawthorn has 5 AFL premierships, West Coast, Brisbane and Geelong 3, I think we'll be the second to get to 5. I think premiership by year in competition is a better measure of a club's success.

Agreed and WCE are certainly a successful club, should have banked more premierships with that early 90s side and definitely with that mid 00’s side

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’re still 12 behind us. You’ve got a little while to catch up.

Agreed and WCE are certainly a successful club, should have banked more premierships with that early 90s side and definitely with that mid 00’s side
That early 90s side was in the infancy of professionalism.
With today’s practises, yes. But the travel would’ve been a bigger factor then than now

Mid 00s? They got their share
04 they wernt there
08 they’d fallen away

1 from 3 is fair.

Ideally though, 05 - Sydney, 06 - adelaide, 07 - West Coast

Ah well.

That 90's side had to deal with things like rampant vic bias in being forced to play home finals in melbourne, a massive travel burden compared to their competitors in a barely professional environment which would've made recovery a lot more difficult. The 00's side is arguable but faced a sydney side in 2005 who was allowed Hall to play when he should've been suspended, as well as a lot of best 22 injuries. 2007 we lost Cousins, Judd and Kerr before and early in the finals series so any hopes of b2b were crushed then and there. Then Judd and Cousins leaving after 07 and the whole drug culture clean out following killed any hopes of that mid 00's squad finding further success.

Carlton or Essendon.

Essendon the front runners, but I think their list is thin, but given the evenness of the comp at the moment, they could miraculously jag one. Carlton are building a quality list, but are still quite a few years away from genuinely contending, but I feel that what they are building is definitely capable of a flag or two.

Pies miles away.

Hawks even further away.

Hmmm

Went with Essendon as they already have 16 and a good young list that showed enough this year to suggest they can be competitive, I would think there is a chance that either Hawthorn or Collingwood could get to 17 before Carlton.

Numbers aren’t quite right, if you’re going to go with the “AFL” thing (which is flawed anyway) then the most reasonable time to start it is 1987 when expansion began. 1990 was a name change and nothing else.

7 Hawthorn
3 West Coast, Brisbane, Geelong
2 Adelaide, Sydney, Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, North Melbourne
1 Port Adelaide, Richmond, Bulldogs
0 Freo, GWS, Gold Coast, St Kilda, Melbourne, Fitzroy

Numbers aren’t quite right, if you’re going to go with the “AFL” thing (which is flawed anyway) then the most reasonable time to start it is 1987 when expansion began. 1990 was a name change and nothing else.

7 Hawthorn
3 West Coast, Brisbane, Geelong
2 Adelaide, Sydney, Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, North Melbourne
1 Port Adelaide, Richmond, Bulldogs
0 Freo, GWS, Gold Coast, St Kilda, Melbourne, Fitzroy

Adelaide entered in 1991, when every major capital got a team, when it truly went national.

The VFL expanded, it's not a new competition. If your definition that premierships are only valid after expansion, then you can only start the count after GWS entered the league. Meaning there are only 5 or so premiership teams.

You cant pick what expansion you decide to start counting at, it's either all or nothing.

Back