Player Watch Fischer McAsey - Steps Away from Football, Not Returning

Do you think Fischer McAsey will be at the AFC in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Three years in, the guy can barely get a touch in the SANFL, has no obvious elite physical traits, and is being comfortably outperformed by a terrible rejected forward and a guy we took as a supplementary rookie

His reading of the ball in the air today was woeful and then he is even worse when the ball hits the ground

Mcasey seems to be coming good imo. Might want to wait til end of contract yet.

Butts looked sore today and for the last few so he might get an opportunity up a grade sooner than later if he's in form

If Frampton continues his form for the rest of the year, surely we’ll look at trading him on.

Realistically what could we expect in return for him?

Not a lot of point trading him at this stage. We're not going to get anything in return. At this stage the best bet is to just let him play his contract out and hope for a miracle.

Mcasey seems to be coming good imo. Might want to wait til end of contract yet.

Butts looked sore today and for the last few so he might get an opportunity up a grade sooner than later if he's in form
Yeah, he’s been much better lately without being a standout.

It’s not much, but his attitude seems to have improved and he doesn’t seem to be falling over as much.

Unfortunately still behind Murray, Borlase and Worrell though.

Have to remember he is a young body still. With another proper preseason he should continue to improve
If Billy Framptons game on the weekend is a testimony for anything, it's that patience with young KPP's is critical. There's no secret formula for fast tracking them, or achieving success.

Some just take time.

If Billy Framptons game on the weekend is a testimony for anything, it's that patience with young KPP's is critical. There's no secret formula for fast tracking them, or achieving success.

Some just take time.
Difference is Frampton was a young key position forward who wasn’t good enough to make it up forward, the switch to the easier position of defender has suited him.

McAsey is a defender struggling to be a defender.

Some also just don’t make it.

Difference is Frampton was a young key position forward who wasn’t good enough to make it up forward, the switch to the easier position of defender has suited him.

McAsey is a defender struggling to be a defender.

Some also just don’t make it.
If he can play to the weekends level consistently for a month or so he'll be around the mark

Gotta see that before anything

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he can play to the weekends level consistently for a month or so he'll be around the mark

Gotta see that before anything
Look don’t get me wrong, I’d be ecstatic if he makes it and has a huge career with us, just as I would be for any Crows player as I want to win flags.

But I’m just not seeing it in him. Let’s hope he does prove me wrong.

Look don’t get me wrong, I’d be ecstatic if he makes it and has a huge career with us, just as I would be for any Crows player as I want to win flags.

But I’m just not seeing it in him. Let’s hope he does prove me wrong.
Probably the biggest disappointment so far this season.

Still has time to prove he is an AFL player, but the signs are worrying if he can't be dominant at sanfl level.

Probably the biggest disappointment so far this season.

Still has time to prove he is an AFL player, but the signs are worrying if he can't be dominant at sanfl level.
How many key Defenders are dominant at SANFL level just after turning 21? Dominant is a big ask for a KPP and a kid.

How many key Defenders are dominant at SANFL level just after turning 21? Dominant is a big ask for a KPP and a kid.
I didn't mean best in sanfl dominant... but he should be regularly in the best players.

Has he ever been in the best players?

Surely you would be expecting more from him...

I didn't mean best in sanfl dominant... but he should be regularly in the best players.

Has he ever been in the best players?

Surely you would be expecting more from him...
Yes I'd like to see more. I got the impression that you expected him to be dominant when you said he should be dominant.

Yes I'd like to see more. I got the impression that you expected him to be dominant when you said he should be dominant.
Well, yes I expect him to be dominant in some games to make our best players list.

I can't recall any game where this has been the case, which is very disappointing.

Was passable in our 1st year where he was rushed into the AFL side, but has regressed... which is a major concern.

He's behind Butts, Frampton, Murray and sounds like even Borlase at this stage. All of which have many years of football ahead of them. From a list management perspective, you can't just hoard KPDs all of a similar age... it's not looking good for fish

How many years more do some want to give this kid? Thank god for Butts otherwise we’d be getting belted week in week out. It was an absolute cockup that we drafted this guy at pick 6, not the kids fault but the clubs fault.

Realistically, probably this year and next. This is his third year on the list, it's around the time you would expect a KPD to start to contribute at AFL level. If we get to the end of next year and he's still not demanding a starting spot, it will probably be time to throw in the towel.

How many years more do some want to give this kid? Thank god for Butts otherwise we’d be getting belted week in week out. It was an absolute cockup that we drafted this guy at pick 6, not the kids fault but the clubs fault.

Jeremy McGovern was drafted in 2011 and didn’t make his debut til 2014.

We have time, he will at the very least see out the end of his contract. That’s pretty much 2 seasons to make a call.

Well the good ones are rarely still playing in the SANFL/WAFL/VFL at 21.

Of the 1st round Tall defenders taken in Fischer McAsey's draft and since he's the only one not to have played AFL this year.
All of Josh Gibcus, Denver Grainger-Barras, Sam De Koning and Heath Chapman have.

Edit :
I might add McAsey is significantly more developed physically and heavier than the other lads also.

Last edited:
Back