Fitzroy: It was 25 years ago today....

Remove this Banner Ad

What was more sad was watching Brisbane picking through the carcass of the footy club for scraps to use

One of the greatest finals ever played. 1981 First Semi. 85,000 at the MCG. Pies jump the Lions and are up to seven goals
in front. Roys storm home and get 10 points up with 2 minutes to go.
Pies come back again with 2 goals in the last 2 minutes to snatch back the lead. Lions rush forward in the last minute, but they miss.
Final Score Collingwood 19.19, Fitzroy 19.18.
Those were the days.

One of the greatest finals ever played. 1981 First Semi. 85,000 at the MCG. Pies jump the Lions and are up to seven goals
in front. Roys storm home and get 10 points up with 2 minutes to go.
Pies come back again with 2 goals in the last 2 minutes to snatch back the lead. Lions rush forward in the last minute, but they miss.
Final Score Collingwood 19.19, Fitzroy 19.18.
Those were the days.

1981…the last of the V8s

I was there the week before at VFL park freezing my arse off getting beaten by the Roys by 15 points.

******* Mick Conlan💁💁‍♂🤦‍♂️

The 1981 Victorian Football League seasonwas the 85th season of the elite Australian rules football competition. Twelve teams competed in the league, which had remained unchanged since 1925. The season was the last to be competed between exclusively Victoria-based clubs, as South Melbournewould relocate to Sydney in 1982. The season commenced with the first games played on Saturday, 28 March, and concluded with the 1981 VFL Grand Final on Saturday, 26 September

Probably the saddest. Cannot think of anything that topped it for sadness in my lifetime.

I was pretty sad hearing Eddie has been denied entry into WA

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saddest part is, if Fitzroy could've held on for a few years, the huge broadcast money under Vlad Demetriou would've probably kept 'em going.

Don't like to disagree, but it wouldn't have worked out like that (sadly).

Vlad is such a pr*ck he would have found an excuse to kill them off.

Ross Oakley might be remembered as a pr*ck for his role in the demise of the Roys. But he was a pr*ck who had a certain business model for the league - a business model that Fitzroy just didn't fit into (sadly).

Vlad, on the other hand, well he's just a pr*ck.

25 years ago today, the Fitzroy Football Club played their last game of AFL football. For mine, it is the second saddest day in the history of the VFL/AFL. Lest we forget.

Agree . A great club . I still love to wstch their sides from the early 80s . Wow they were tough and skillful.

For me the day Essendon bought the game and Australian sport into disrepute was the second saddest . Bought us down to NRL levels .

They’ve never apologised .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

How come you never see similar threads like this mourning the loss of South Melbourne?

Probably because South Melbourne wasn't removed from the VFL-AFL competition and is still there as the Sydney Swans. South Melbourne's records and achievements continue.

Fitzroy of course was ejected from the VFL-AFL competition (a competition which it helped found) and now plays elsewhere. Fitzroy's records in the VFL-AFL are now finished.

Of course the Brisbane Lions are a rebranded Brisbane Bears.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back