Unofficial Preview Footy's back! MELBOURNE v ADELAIDE this Saturday Feb 22, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

We've got 2 firsts this year plus Edwards.

You'd imagine our pick will be between 3 and 6 again which should be enough for a high quality player.

I didnt ask about high quality, I asked about elite. We're not getting that at 6 are we?

So what should we be doing?

Perspective?

No chance of that on the Adelaide board.

First hit out against another AFL side (not yourself) and under a new coach. It takes time.

But I will lose it if Mackay gets a game!

My money would be on him playing. A new coach can’t just up and not play a 200+ gamer that performs b4illiantky in runners during the preseason. Mackay will get half a dozen games to prove he deserves a spot. We are the AFC after all.

I don't dislike either- but to be clear the point I'm concerned about isn't that these guys are spuds per se.

I'll admit to not having known much about Keayes at all before today. I've been following the off season about as little as I ever have.
Yeah I know your point regarding future elite. Very early but I think the two I mentioned have a genuine shot at that level in their respective positions.

I worry about Jones' size in terms of reaching elite midfielder status. I think he may well be a Sloane clone, does his best work as Robin to another guy's Batman. I don't think Brouch is that Batman unfortunately. I think we will need to load up on midfield talent next draft.

Jury's out on KPF/second ruck, I think Frampton looks more likely, but neither show "elite" signs. Fogarty is the jewel there imo though, so I think a workhorse tall around him and a genuine Gunston type as the bail out will be fine. I was hoping that might be Davis but he's going to have to get a move on. The new kid looked ok and the wildcard is mcasey if they play him forward.

So I think we are ok at either end but I agree that the mids look a bit workmanlike. I wouldn't mind them having a look at Dood through the midfield if he comes up ok. We have a couple of decent HBF that could step in.

Sure, but this has nothing to do with the fact he has hardly played today because is being managed for the bushfire game... so your original post was way off!

The first quarter he played he was trash. If you watched the game closely you can just see his man leading up tor the ball and getting cheap easy touches, and then losing him at contests. Wasn’t great.

Not that anyone in our team was any better. We still suck at tackling at defending at the coal. Nothing’s changed there.

The first quarter he played he was trash. If you watched the game closely you can just see his man leading up tor the ball and getting cheap easy touches, and then losing him at contests. Wasn’t great.

Not that anyone in our team was any better. We still suck at tackling at defending at the coal. Nothing’s changed there.
We were fine when the bigger bodies were on deck, the stats fell away when the kids did.

Not a great game, but honestly, the level of meltdown in here from some posters is straight up bonkers.

New coach, new gameplan, and a s**t ton of new players! What were you melters expecting the Harlem bloody globetrotters? I’m not expecting this game plan to 100% click into place until at least 5-8 weeks into the season if we are lucky. In most sports a totally new game plan often takes an entire season before you see any real headway.

Expecting anything more so soon is the fastest road to a exceptionally rude reality check!
That's going to be the challenge.

Nicks might not be a dead cat bounce coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's going to be the challenge.

Nicks might not be a dead cat bounce coach.
You generally get a lift from a similar group ala Sando in 2012 and Pyke in 2016.

A large portion of the 22 won't have played together at AFL level

Agree with Southerntakeover assessment here re our list.. A lot of battlers and triers but no genuine superstar with our midfield youth. Fog and Doedee are the only two that has shown that they have the potential to be elite at afl level!
Milera and Jones have too.

The rest we've barely seen.

Gibbs is done.

Mackay is SANFL.

Poholke is not up to it.

Wilson is a definite no.

Atkins is annoying.

Kelly needs the right mix around him to be useful.

McHenry was like deer in the headlights.

That's what I learned from today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Poholke wasn't far off today, but he's not in the best 22.

Wilson has 1 very good AFL trait, his kick.

Himmelberg 5 possies disappointing

Both frampton and berg were disappointing today. But then again can you blame them? Our forward entires were garbage all day. Don’t remember a single play where we kicked to either of these guys on the lead, just sat it high on their head hoping.

It’s one game, but our forward structure didn’t look that great either still. Everyone seems to be playing on top of each other. Berg and frampton were always flying for the same marks. No one seems to be generating space for our forwards to lead into.

Both frampton and berg were disappointing today. But then again can you blame them? Our forward entires were garbage all day. Don’t remember a single play where we kicked to either of these guys on the lead, just sat it high on their head hoping.

It’s one game, but our forward structure didn’t look that great either still. Everyone seems to be playing on top of each other. Berg and frampton were always flying for the same marks. No one seems to be generating space for our forwards to lead into.

Remind me again who our forward coach is???

The youngsters need some leadership and direction, Tex is desperately needed over the next season or two to help their development. Likewise Lynch.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was playing cricket, so didn't see the game.

Did Melbourne produce their usual Harlem Globetrotter stuff against us again?

More importantly, what did our ball movement look like?

Anyway, the point isnt that elite talent don't sometimes get drafted from later picks. It's that it's low percentage, and you absolutely should not bet the farm on that happening.
I can see where you are coming from. We are years away from being a contender and it’s unlikely we will get there with this current lot. Not because they won’t be good players, we need them to be ******* great players and we need a number of them.

We are about to have some of the clubs best players in its history finish up in the next 1-3 years, Tex, Sloane and Talia. Plus Betts is already gone and we couldn’t get the job done with them.

If this group of kids turns out to be quality it will see us as a 4-8 side, but we need to find players like a Danger, Martin, Kelly, Cameron, Whitfield etc to get to the top. That ain’t going to happen if our primary goal is to make the 8 so it stops reviews happening and takes the pressure off management.

20 ******* years we’ve had that approach and we have zip to show for it with one of the longest stretches in the comp without a flag.

I rate Brad, but if we have a bottom 4 year, I’d let him walk and get another top 4 pick as compo. Then if that means we have another bottom 4 year next year so be it. That’s going to be our only way of getting elite talent.

Oh and it doesn’t help that we haven’t been able to retain quality players when we unearth them.

Having said all that, I’m not disappointed in today, I’ve accepted we are a s**t club going nowhere, so for me it’s about watching the young kids and hope they prove me wrong. That’s going to be the year for me. Anyone watching this year with expectations of finals is dreaming, the only chance we had of that is if we exposed these kids over the last couple of years, but we didn’t, so now we’ve got a bunch of kids with no experience and have to go through the pain.

Having fogarty at ff and walker at chf will stiffen us up and dunstall made the comment mid game that the crows actually have some real speed up forward and could model their game on the richmond model. Just need to clean up the poor skills
Jones for me and McHenry are a tad too small for mids and we have too many small forwards so where do they fit? Jones is border line and has some attributes ie speed but the thing that stands out is that he is not a natural ball getter which I think the lad from Brisbane showed he is today.

Gibbs is done.

Mackay is SANFL.

Poholke is not up to it.

Wilson is a definite no.

Atkins is annoying.

Kelly needs the right mix around him to be useful.

McHenry was like deer in the headlights.

That's what I learned from today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bloody hell, are we just copying and pasting last year's observations?
Its gonna be a long year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back