Opinion Former Richmond players that could of been stars but didn't quite get there

Remove this Banner Ad

Barunga Bullet

The GOAT
May 8, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
After the listening to the Tigercast the other night, they raised a good topic of players who could of been anything but didn't quite get there for one reason or another. Marty Mcgrath is one for me. Kicked 5 goals on debut and then was delisted at the end of the year.

The Adelaide coach who was killed we got him from Collingwood as a rising star looked anything but failed miserably. Phil Walsh? I think it's the same guy. My dementia isn't helping hope I didn't bring up the wrong person.

The Adelaide coach who was killed we got him from Collingwood as a rising star looked anything but failed miserably. Phil Walsh? I think it's the same guy. My dementia isn't helping hope I didn't bring up the wrong person.
We got Walsh from Collingwood. Yeah never did much at Richmond, think he went to the Bears and did ok.

No you got the right guy, GR was obsessed had a man crush in him

Troy Taylor was the one with massive talent that wasn't realised.

Richard Tambling… wrong club at the wrong time 😟

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Axel Foley
He was a superstar but he got an injury I forget what it was and was never the same again think he played for Vic also. F am I remembering the same guy little fellow played mid.

Mitch Morton was a star in my Premirship Coach 2011 game, would have been a star if Hardwick played him right smh.

(May or may not be serious)

Last edited:
For what it's worth David Bourke's frame probably worked against him. Mark Merenda could do freakish things too, but injury curtailed him

If we are talking yesteryear and players that were cruelled by injury but looked like they could have been so much more, I instantly think of Alan Edwards, Bruce Tempany and Micheal Mitchell. Mitchell got both mark and goal of the year in 1990, Edwards was the heartthrob of every female teenage Richmond supporter and Tempany was a very highly thought of player at the time with his pace, height and skill.

However if we are just talking about players that just surprisingly didn't make more of a mark, Trent Nicholls, Stephen James and Andrew Raines come to mind who all showed great promise in their first year or two but then kind of just faded away.

Tambling and Fiora, they both had decent enough careers but nowhere near what they should have been.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back